Recommended Cue for League Play

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can’t count the times I have seen people come up to cues (leaned on a case as well as once actually “standing” out the top of a case) and go rummaging around.
lots of “off the street”have ZERO idea that it is a personally owned cue.
just didn’t have a hand attached, don’t ya know

Justaneng

Registered
Rule 1: Don't try to go get a 21oz playing cue, even if that's what you gravitate toward for house cues.

Thas being said,

Assuming $100 or so is in well within your entertainment budget, you can pick up a McDermott Lucky, Players, Viking Valhalla etc.. type cue. They're good enough and will last a while. 99% of the benefit of a owning a cue is just eliminating the variability that comes with house cues. The remaining 1% is getting a cue that meets your remaining personal preferences, once you know what they are.

You can use your league time to try other people's cues, and start honing in on what your personal preferences actually are. Try a few different shaft diameters, in particular. If, after some time you stick with the sport, replenish your entertainment budget, and decide to upgrade, you can then also just throw a hard tip on the first cue you bought, and presto! You now have a playing cue and a breaking cue.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rule 1: Don't try to go get a 21oz playing cue, even if that's what you gravitate toward for house cues.

What's the reason for this, not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just curious?
I personally use a 21 oz play cue and 19 oz break cue so I'm curious why this is a bad thing.

Justaneng

Registered
What's the reason for this, not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just curious?
I personally use a 21 oz play cue and 19 oz break cue so I'm curious why this is a bad thing.

No problem, and personal preferences are just that!

My reasoning is that people who just casually shoot around in a bar tend to gravitate toward what they percieve the sturdier, heavier house cues (21oz). Whereas, I think a vast majority of "owned" playing cues are in the 19oz range. I've seen a few cases (one story below) where players will try to make the jump to owning their own cue, thinking that the cue they will like is the 21+oz. Usually in the pool shops the shop owner will talk them into the 19oz, which they'll end up taking (and enjoying it later).

My (ex) father-in-law, on the other hand, went to a shop asking for a heavy cue (he had only used 21oz house cues before), and they sold him on a 25oz Rage heavy hitter. He didn't try any of the lighter cues in the shop. He came down to our house, and we played around on my table. I let him try my cue (McDermott G-Core at the time), and he loved it...and the next day we were out at the shop grabbing a lighter cue for him. He just had no experience shooting around on anything but house cues.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd get a carbon fiber shaft and any solid wrapless butt. I might get a shorter butt if the league is on bar tables.