Refinishing Question

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Is it possible to have just part of the butt of a cue refinished? For example, is it possible to have just the butt below the wrap refinished?

I suspect the answer is no, that the whole butt would have to be refinished, with a new wrap put on, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

The reason I ask is because I have a unique collector's cue that has some very small imperfections in the finish near the base of the butt, and I'm debating whether or not to have it refinished to try and restore it to like new condition.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
Wats the damege? If its a chip or a nick ,u can use a drop of clear in that area and polish ,but i also have blended in spray

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Is it possible to have just part of the butt of a cue refinished? For example, is it possible to have just the butt below the wrap refinished?

I suspect the answer is no, that the whole butt would have to be refinished, with a new wrap put on, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

The reason I ask is because I have a unique collector's cue that has some very small imperfections in the finish near the base of the butt, and I'm debating whether or not to have it refinished to try and restore it to like new condition.

First, a picture helps, so we can see what you are referencing. Secondly, is the maker still active/alive, if so, then the rule of thumb is to have them service their product, as it keeps it original, VS someone else doing a refinish.
Hope this helps,
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr Webb great point ,it might even have a warranty

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hi Sean
If there is one thing I've learned from being on AZ. It's amazing how something can lose value. Or at least, someone will claim it lost value.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Thanks very much for the responses everyone. I will try and provide a picture.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Here is a picture of the damaged area. This is a Paul Mottey cue.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,267

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
That sure looks like a "drop-fill" repair,rather than needing a refin.

All whoever does the repair has to do is make sure that whatever they use for the job is compatible with the clearcoat that is already there.

My guess is an automotive clearcoat,and the drop fill can be done with a touch-up bottle,or even a CA would work. Tommy D.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
CA actually is not a good repair for auto-clear, at least from my experience.
The CA doesn't 'bite' into the A/C so an outline ring of the chip/score is
always present and the level of gloss btwn the two is different.
If it were my cue I wouldn't touch it; it's going to happen again. JMO

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
CA actually is not a good repair for auto-clear, at least from my experience.
The CA doesn't 'bite' into the A/C so an outline ring of the chip/score is
always present and the level of gloss btwn the two is different.
If it were my cue I wouldn't touch it; it's going to happen again. JMO

It definitely won't happen again. I bought the cue recently and I was told that it was in "like-new" condition, other than that it had been chalked and test hit. When I received the cue and inspected it closely, however, I could see what's in the picture. The rest of the butt of the cue is indeed in like-new condition though.

I bought the cue to keep as a collector's item. I have no intention of ever playing with it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It definitely won't happen again. I bought the cue recently and I was told that it was in "like-new" condition, other than that it had been chalked and test hit. When I received the cue and inspected it closely, however, I could see what's in the picture. The rest of the butt of the cue is indeed in like-new condition though.

I bought the cue to keep as a collector's item. I have no intention of ever playing with it.

I've always been a huge fan of Mr Motteys cues as well as Jim White. If your going to keep it as a collector's cue. I would seek out Mr. White. The last time I talked to Paul, he still had the pool room. Just in case you can't find Mr Whites contact info.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I've always been a huge fan of Mr Motteys cues as well as Jim White. If your going to keep it as a collector's cue. I would seek out Mr. White. The last time I talked to Paul, he still had the pool room. Just in case you can't find Mr Whites contact info.

Thanks for the advice Michael. Do you know if James White is still making cues?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the advice Michael. Do you know if James White is still making cues?

I sure hope so. But the truth is. I honestly don't know how much he is doing. It would be a real shame if he's not building. He has a gift for creating beautiful wood puzzles.