Refinishing question

deadstroke89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey guys i was just wondering what it would cost to get a cue refinished?
i have a 2002 Paul Mottey that was messed up during shipping right in the forearm. its a dent about 1/2 long and a depth of 1/16 and a width of 1/4. any input would be great

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I charge $150 to refinish and rewrap a cue and 2 shafts. Excessive damage repairs may be a little extra depending on what is needed. Chris.

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
Paul Mottey charges $150 as well to refinish one of his cues.. he also said depending on the wrap.. that would be extra...
chris

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Send it to Mottey. It always best to have the cuemaker work on his/her own cue.

I charge $85 for the finish work and plus the cost of the wrap. Linen is $35.

deadstroke89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
leather wrap

ok thanx for the inputs that means alot also what about putting a stack wrap. I would like it to be a green like the inlay just to bring it out more?
once again thank you all

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
deadstroke89 said:
ok thanx for the inputs that means alot also what about putting a stack wrap. I would like it to be a green like the inlay just to bring it out more?
once again thank you all

That would be easy enough. You can still have Mottey refinish it and then send it off the be wrapped.

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what do you guys charge to add a finish over a linen wrap? (like on meucci cues). just thought this fit well in here rather than starting a new thread.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
socks said:
what do you guys charge to add a finish over a linen wrap? (like on meucci cues). just thought this fit well in here rather than starting a new thread.

I only do that if I rewrap and refinish the entire cue. $130 total.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
A shameless plug for Jerry Pechauer ...

I would ask what kind of a finish are you wanting?

Go look at some new production cues and the finish that is on them.
Do you want a finish like what you see on a Meucci, a Rat cue, Viking, or McDermott.
Now look closely at the finish on a new custom cue.
Can you see any difference in quality?
if you can not, you are wasting your money paying a custom cuemaker to refinish your cue.

A custom cue finish using auto clearcoat involves a lot of prep time, hand wet sanding and final buffing to get that deep glass like luster.
Other finish materials are faster to work with but some of them dont look as good or last as well as clearcoat.
I know of only one water base finiish that is ALMOST as good as auto clearcoat.

I do not know what finish material Jerry Pechauer uses on his production cues but I have always been in awe of the extreamly high level of quality he puts into every one of them.
His finish is in the custom cue class and is a great example of what a custom cue finish should look like.

Most refinish jobs also involve striping off the old finish, repairing the dents and dings, and dealing with a wrap if it has one.

I start at $100 for the simplest refinish job and go up from there depending on how much extra work the cue requires.
I would rather NOT do them but if I must ... it is going to be worth my time away from making a custom Willeecue.

Willee

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Please do not group me in with McDermott, Viking, and Meucci. I am not a production cue and I use an auto clear coat and wet sand every one of my cue by hand....laterally. It doesn't matter if it is one of my custom cues or if it is a customer's cue in for repairs, its all top notch.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
ratcues said:
Please do not group me in with McDermott, Viking, and Meucci. I am not a production cue and I use an auto clear coat and wet sand every one of my cue by hand....laterally. It doesn't matter if it is one of my custom cues or if it is a customer's cue in for repairs, its all top notch.

Last time I was up north (a year or so ago) I stopped in at Muller's in Lincoln, NE and there were severial new Rat cues in the rack for sale.
I examined the finish and from what I saw it was what I would call production quality.
if you wish to call that 'top notch' so be it.
Not trying to knock your cues or be mean ... just saying what I saw.
The finish looked thin and was not completely smooth like a wet sanded finish should be.
This was about two years ago ... perhaps you are doing things differetly now.

What I call a 'top notch' finish is like what you see on all Jerry Pechauer cues. In fact his clearcoat looks better than some 'custom' cue finishes.

Willee

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WilleeCue said:
Last time I was up north (a year or so ago) I stopped in at Muller's in Lincoln, NE and there were severial new Rat cues in the rack for sale.
I examined the finish and from what I saw it was what I would call production quality.
The finish looked thin and was not completely smooth like a wet sanded finish should be.

What I call a 'top notch' finish is like what you see on all Jerry Pechauer cues. In fact his clearcoat looks better than some 'custom' cue finishes.

Willee

i'm just checking , what's the turn around time on a refinishing?

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
i'm just checking , what's the turn around time on a refinishing?

I will not be doing any cue work until this summer (May - June - July - Aug).
It takes me two to three days to refinish a cue with automotive clearcoat.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
WilleeCue said:

Willee

I have a handfull of AZer's cue for refinishes right now. I'll have them post a review of my "production quality" work. :rolleyes: