Relationship Aiming, it's the only way....

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol.....What is the difference between "relationship" aiming, which you define as the visual relationship of "the CB up against the OB to make the OB go where it needs to go", and fractional aiming? Fractional aiming is exactly what you are referring to when you say "relationship".

However, as Matt (BilliardsAbout) has already mentioned, aspiring players need more guidance than "just hit the relationship between the balls". That's why my book, which you and R.D. both have a copy of, specifically states that the primary goal of Poolology is to help a player become the type of shooter that "just sees the shots." And providing solid fractional aim points allows those CB/OB relationships to be captured and stored in the brain. Eventually the player will not be thinking about object ball position values or alignment values or fractional aim points. They'll just automatically see the relationship needed to pocket the ball.

Seriously, Dennis, this is disappointing. I mean, you and Robin each have a copy of my book, every word of it. Did each of you just look at the pictures and not read any of it? :frown:

We both read your book and think it's fantastic.... for those that need the fractional aiming system. Robin has to teach it to some of his students. But... at the same time, he can show you and anybody else in 10 minutes how limiting it is. Your statement of how you've got to "hit the OB thick or thin after getting the right fraction" tells it all. Only 60% of the OB is available using fractions and the other 40% must be aimed either thick or thin with zero concrete evidence of the fractions. I think he will call you about your book. I gave him your phone number.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
We both read your book and think it's fantastic.... for those that need the fractional aiming system. Robin has to teach it to some of his students. But... at the same time, he can show you and anybody else in 10 minutes how limiting it is. Your statement of how you've got to "hit the OB thick or thin after getting the right fraction" tells it all. Only 60% of the OB is available using fractions and the other 40% must be aimed either thick or thin with zero concrete evidence of the fractions. I think he will call you about your book. I gave him your phone number.

I understand. Thanks for the reply. How are you getting the 60% value? I think 100% of the OB is available for fractional aiming. Anywhere from straight in to super thin to a micro brush of the ball. Sure, aiming fractionally thinner than a 1/4 ball hit gets a little tricky. But it's not more tricky than estimating a ghostball location. With practice, a player can become very proficient at hitting 1/8, 1/16, and brush shots.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis, my faraway friend, here's why fractional aiming covers more than 60% of CB/OB relationships:

Aiming one millimeter thinner or thicker creates a +/- 1-degree change in shot angle. It's about a 64th fractional aim difference. This precise amount of fine tuning is not that difficult, though usually not needed. When the ob is within 2 ft of the pocket, using the nearest 1/8 aim point will work. As the ball gets farther out and the margin of error shrinks, a more precise fractional aim is needed. I'm just talking about pocketing balls, creating a mental database of CB/OB relationships, as you would say.

Here's an example.. ..a shot might fall somewhere between a 5/8 and a 1/2 ball aim. It's not one or the other, but anywhere in between. If it's dead between the two then you know to aim dead between the two aim points, which would be aiming 1/16 thinner or thicker. You wouldn't be thinking in terms of 16th aim points -- you'd simply be using common visual sense. If the shot is closer to a 5/8 aim than it is a 1/2 aim, then you'll be aiming slighty thinner than a 5/8 instead of dead in the middle of the 5/8 and the 1/2. You'll be aiming between that middle point and the 5/8 aim point. That would be 1/32 thinner than a 5/8 aim. It's not a complicated math solution. It's a simple visual comparison between known aim points.

Once a player begins to develop a feel for just seeing the shots, they can begin to sharpen their specific accuracy skills, like hitting a particular portion of the pocket. It's all about freeing one's mind to allow the subconscious to pocket balls.

picture.php

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis, my faraway friend, here's why fractional aiming covers more than 60% of CB/OB relationships:

Aiming one millimeter thinner or thicker creates a +/- 1-degree change in shot angle. It's about a 64th fractional aim difference. This precise amount of fine tuning is not that difficult, though usually not needed. When the ob is within 2 ft of the pocket, using the nearest 1/8 aim point will work. As the ball gets farther out and the margin of error shrinks, a more precise fractional aim is needed. I'm just talking about pocketing balls, creating a mental database of CB/OB relationships, as you would say.

Here's an example.. ..a shot might fall somewhere between a 5/8 and a 1/2 ball aim. It's not one or the other, but anywhere in between. If it's dead between the two then you know to aim dead between the two aim points, which would be aiming 1/16 thinner or thicker. You wouldn't be thinking in terms of 16th aim points -- you'd simply be using common visual sense. If the shot is closer to a 5/8 aim than it is a 1/2 aim, then you'll be aiming slighty thinner than a 5/8 instead of dead in the middle of the 5/8 and the 1/2. You'll be aiming between that middle point and the 5/8 aim point. That would be 1/32 thinner than a 5/8 aim. It's not a complicated math solution. It's a simple visual comparison between known aim points.

Once a player begins to develop a feel for just seeing the shots, they can begin to sharpen their specific accuracy skills, like hitting a particular portion of the pocket. It's all about freeing one's mind to allow the subconscious to pocket balls.

picture.php

Brian, when Robin calls you, ask him about it. He is a superb pool teacher and should be able to explain it to your satisfaction.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian, when Robin calls you, ask him about it. He is a superb pool teacher and should be able to explain it to your satisfaction.

I spoke with Robin. He's a very knowledgeable guy and his passion for helping people become better pool players is quite apparent. We had a great conversation about aiming techniques and the art of teaching. We are actually of very similar mindsets. He had a question about Poolology, followed by some encouraging praise. It's obvious the man knows his business. Seems like really great guy and most surely an excellent instructor.:thumbup:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Robin. He's a very knowledgeable guy and his passion for helping people become better pool players is quite apparent. We had a great conversation about aiming techniques and the art of teaching. We are actually of very similar mindsets. He had a question about Poolology, followed by some encouraging praise. It's obvious the man knows his business. Seems like really great guy and most surely an excellent instructor.:thumbup:

Yes, I was there. He loves your book and says it explains and simplifies the fractional system. Too bad we are so damn far away!