Repair Advice Needed

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Hello All-

I have an old 6 footer I'm trying to refurbish, was hoping for some advice. The U-23 rubber isn't cracked or pitted, but its old. Wood seems fine but the glue is old. My main question is, can I just shove some glue in, where the rubber is separated from the rail? Or do I razor blade the rubber off, and use it again? If I have to go with new rubber, please tell me. Also, what kind of glue should I use?

And what do you do about tiny staple chunks that break off in the rail wood? Looks like the last guy used huge staples, probably 9/16ths. Ok to use half inch, or is deeper better?

6footrepair005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure if this pic can be seen, but it shows a couple of 2-3 inch runs where the rubber separated from the wood. Thanks All.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc34/NYCBambu/6footrepair005.jpg

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hello All-

I have an old 6 footer I'm trying to refurbish, was hoping for some advice. The U-23 rubber isn't cracked or pitted, but its old. Wood seems fine but the glue is old. My main question is, can I just shove some glue in, where the rubber is separated from the rail?

I use a pop cicle stick dipped in glue to spread glue in between the rail and cushion, let dry a bit, then press together.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Hello All-

I have an old 6 footer I'm trying to refurbish, was hoping for some advice. The U-23 rubber isn't cracked or pitted, but its old. Wood seems fine but the glue is old. My main question is, can I just shove some glue in, where the rubber is separated from the rail?

I use a pop cicle stick dipped in glue to spread glue in between the rail and cushion, let dry a bit, then press together.

-
Lmao! A Popsicle stick..lmao!! .. U mean the wood piece off the chicken-on-stick..
Jokes aside. I'll use the wide wooden builders shim sanded down to a thin applicator. You can use gel-weld for such a repair but you will want to apply it to the wood at least twice several minuets apart to let the wood suck up some glue.
What brand of table you working with?

Rob.M

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
This is a custom 6 footer I bought, looks like some carpenter made this himself.

I have some 3M FoamFast spray adhesive, but I think that's for the cloth. What kind of gel weld do I need for the cushion repair? I see some 3M scotch weld on amazon, but its 38 bucks! Please tell me that's not it!

And guys, how do ya get these tiny staple splinters outta the wood? Do I mangle the wood a bit, and pick em out.... or just lightly tap em in?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is a custom 6 footer I bought, looks like some carpenter made this himself.

I have some 3M FoamFast spray adhesive, but I think that's for the cloth. What kind of gel weld do I need for the cushion repair? I see some 3M scotch weld on amazon, but its 38 bucks! Please tell me that's not it!

And guys, how do ya get these tiny staple splinters outta the wood? Do I mangle the wood a bit, and pick em out.... or just lightly tap em in?

Tap them in, and get some weldwood contact glue from Home Depot:grin:

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Awesome, I am all set for my mission! I'll let you know how it turns out, much thanks!

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
And 1/4in staples should be all you need on rails. I've gone to 5/16ths on really soft or chewed up ones if neccesary

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Thanks Cue, just learned about the 1/4" staples the hard way. Thought it may have been my rail wood being so hard, but I guess not.

I lined the whole ball return track with some old simonis I had, and stuffed the inside with floor insulation. It was the noisiest table I ever heard, all metal and wood. The thing sounded like a clanking musical instrument.

I had a couple of stripped rail bolt holes too, but some electrical tape on the screws seemed to give me some bite. Used some epoxy to fill a couple of low spots. Now I know why these things take so long!

Only flaw I can find is some cloth bunching up under one rail. Its not that bad, may not even effect play. But I'm kinda picky, I want to fix it.

Would it be ok to soak the glued down area with some goof off, or paint thinner? Then I could pull the bubble out, and re-glue. Is there a better way?

Bobo

Registered
We use 1/4" staples for the felt. Pull the old ones as much as possible using needlenose pliers. Then hammer down whatever you can't get out (if they break off). Recommend replacing rubber, as you will need to refelt if you choose to replace it down the road. This will cost you more in the long run. If the rubber is not bad (not really hard or soft like old chewing gum) and you want to keep it, then you can just put some contact cement in the gap, let it dry a little, then glue the cushions back on.

Rubber should be firm, not hard or gooey. Call if you need more help.

- Judson Bobo
Everything Billiards
336-988-8642

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Thanks Bobo, its all done now. I used the old rubber and some old simonis I had. Only problem I have now is a bubble in the cloth I'd like to take out.

Would it be ok to soak the glued down area with some goof off, or paint thinner? Then I could pull the bubble out, and re-glue. Is there a better way?