Reverse pool . . .

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Are there any 'standard' reverse pool rules listed anywhere ?

Generally we play an 8 ball style but there seems to be alot of variations especiallly on the details (break, scratches, combos, etc).

Anyone play ?

Anyone know ?

Thanks,
Jay.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what you mean by "Reverse Pool". In the book "How to Hustle Your Friends at Pool" by Art Tully there is a game he calls Scottish Pool, which is 8 ball but the object balls are cued and shot in on caroms off the cue ball.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I'm sorry , I guess I should have been more clear.

Basically yes , we'd rack as in 8 ball and break. After the break , you shoot using object balls so they carom off the cue ball and into the pocket. Otherwise pretty much 8 ball rules.

Where it varies seems to be how scratches can be handled , how or if combinations can be done and if there are variations on the break.

I'll look up scottish pool and see if that the closest variant.

Thanks. :)

Anyone else ?

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually have played this game many times. As far as rules i don't know of a standardized set. As long as you and your opponent agree they should not mater much. It is a great game for practicing caroms and ball speed. The way we have played a scratch is the cue ball goes on the dot incoming players turn.

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A funny story that comes to mind from years ago playing this game at a local pool hall. We were near the front desk and the owner saw us shooting. He came down rather mad and asked if we were retarted he did not like that the object balls were getting chalk on them. Guess you would have had to have been there to realize how funny it was at the time. :rotflmao1:

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can visulize how funny it was since it happen to me and friend in Kansas City one time. He finally told us to clean the balls good after we finished.
I believe he really thought we did not know how to play.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry , I guess I should have been more clear.

Basically yes , we'd rack as in 8 ball and break. After the break , you shoot using object balls so they carom off the cue ball and into the pocket. Otherwise pretty much 8 ball rules.

Where it varies seems to be how scratches can be handled , how or if combinations can be done and if there are variations on the break.

I'll look up scottish pool and see if that the closest variant.

Thanks. :)

Anyone else ?

I doubt you'll find any rules on this. If you'd like clarification from the book, let me know. Only rules I've ever seen in print.