Rhythm To You're Game...

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rhythm is everything. I have not been playing enough and lost mine. I feel the percentage is 100%. Have a rhythm/mind set and play ball… I mean pool

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Percentage Does Rhythm Have To You're Pool Game ? ... And In The Game Of One Pocket Can You Have Or Use A Rhythm ?
My Rhythm is about the same for all games. I think it's as important as about 10 other things, so 10%. I find that the opponents rhythm in one pocket, has more of an effect than any other game. The exception being when I have a chance to run a few balls in a row. In that case it is the same as normal.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's everything. Try playing faster or slower than you feel comfortable and see for yourself.

Pay attention to what you're doing when you are in dead punch. Your breathing. vision. Tempo. Body movements.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
If rhythm is exercising emotional control during a match then its tricky.

Identifying the right shot to play and playing the right shot is like jazz improv in a new group.

In my younger years rhythm means I just rushed through and cut corners. Now I am all about good technique.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Percentage Does Rhythm Have To You're Pool Game ? ... And In The Game Of One Pocket Can You Have Or Use A Rhythm ?
Bank pool is kinda of a rhythm game. Streaky is a better way to explain it. Sometimes they just don’t go and other times they all seem to go.

In 9 ball I’ve seen some guys who are more rhythm players than others. I think it’s a spectrum. When Keith used to get on a roll he was. Buddy was methodical. So it varies.

One pocket isn’t unless your outside the balls running out. Then it can be. But it’s more of a one shot moving tactical game

Hope that helps

Best
Eric 😃😃

Guy Manges

Registered
Bank pool is kinda of a rhythm game. Streaky is a better way to explain it. Sometimes they just don’t go and other times they all seem to go.

In 9 ball I’ve seen some guys who are more rhythm players than others. I think it’s a spectrum. When Keith used to get on a roll he was. Buddy was methodical. So it varies.

One pocket isn’t unless your outside the balls running out. Then it can be. But it’s more of a one shot moving tactical game

Hope that helps

Best
Eric 😃😃
As the orange 5 does... Thank you... Eric Could you give me your personal percentage aprox... Like 10% of a 9 ball game... Guy

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the orange 5 does... Thank you... Eric Could you give me your personal percentage aprox... Like 10% of a 9 ball game... Guy
I’m just guessing, I’d say 50% of players have some sort of rhythm or preshot routine that’s a repeatable rhythmic thing. Could be higher than 50%.

Speaking for myself I do have a bit of a rhythm when I’m in stroke and running out. That’s pretty normal.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that the two key elements of pocketing a ball are final focus and proper timing of cue release at final focus. The actual stroke delivery has other key elements that, I believe are trained into the muscle memory section of our brain. A favorable pre- shot routine sets a person up to properly execute both the correct stroke and the correct OB hit.

I think that someone who plays to a consistent, comfortable rhythm, regardless of the score, match, etc. gives their body and mind the best chance to meld all the pieces together to both make the shot and move the CB to the next desired position on the table.

As someone here said, the rhythm will help free you mind ( and your body) to behave in optimal fashion.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I am in stroke, the balls are dropping and the cue ball is on a string I feel like I am dancing with the table. It has become my partner and I want to be as smooth as Fred Astaire was with Ginger Rodgers..
Everything is smooth and easy..

Rhythm is essential..

I have only played one pocket a few times but the pace of play seems difficult to describe as having any rhythym to me.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I am in stroke, the balls are dropping and the cue ball is on a string I feel like I am dancing with the table. It has become my partner and I want to be as smooth as Fred Astaire was with Ginger Rodgers..
Everything is smooth and easy..

Rhythm is essential..

I have only played one pocket a few times but the pace of play seems difficult to describe as having any rhythym to me.
in straight pool you can sit for 30 minutes watching your opponent run alot of balls
but when he misses you have to get immediately into your routine ie rhythm/psr and play your game at your tempo
in one pocket its the same
doesnt matter that your opponent took an hour to decide what to shoot
you have to treat your shot for that one safety as if the game depends on it so you get into your rhythm and psr and treat that one shot with all your concentration and focus
this way when you do get a shot
you can shoot it with the same concentration and focus like your other shots
jmho

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in straight pool you can sit for 30 minutes watching your opponent run alot of balls
but when he misses you have to get immediately into your routine ie rhythm/psr and play your game at your tempo
in one pocket its the same
doesnt matter that your opponent took an hour to decide what to shoot
you have to treat your shot for that one safety as if the game depends on it so you get into your rhythm and psr and treat that one shot with all your concentration and focus
this way when you do get a shot
you can shoot it with the same concentration and focus like your other shots
jmho
I grew up playing 8 ball then straight pool. By 17 I was running 60 and 70 balls in straight pool. One pocket and I never clicked.. I was very hyper active when I was young combine that with just about zero patience and one pocket would turn me into a raving lunatic... Straight pool was bad enough! Probably why I got good at it, hated sitting and watching! Lol...

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
To be honest with you, rhythm is over-rated. It actually keeps many great shooters from becoming great players.
Watch Gorst play, for example. He treats each shot as it's own, and varies his speed of play accordingly. All top players do.
The world's best players are the ones who treat each shot as it's own, analyze the position and possible outcomes uniquely, and still shoot well.

Years ago I used to run around the table firing everything in at about the same speed. But then, as I became wiser, I began to notice that the players who could beat me weren't necessarily better shooters, they were better players. They were able to play at DIFFERENT speeds--- they were thinking more.
So I slowed my game down and now treat each shot as it's own unique "problem", and analyze it as needed. Some shots are obvious and don't require much time, but many aren't. Rhythm players have difficulty doing this (playing slower), and this is why so many good shooters don't reach their full potential. They don't play smart.
To get the most out of your abilities, YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE SPEEDS EFFECTIVELY: take the proper amount of time to analyze each shot. (One-pocket is a great game to play/practice to help achieve this btw).

Btw, rhythm IS IMPORTANT once you are ready to execute your shot. Don't spend a bunch of time thinking and then just rush the shot lol. Go through your regular pre-shot routine/setup AFTER you've decided on your shot.

As I've said before: "Many people can shoot, but only the best can play".:cool: