Ring work on carbon fiber shafts

crazy8legs

Registered
Right now it seems that Meucci is the only cue maker that offers the ability to match ring work on a carbon fiber shaft. Does anyone know why that is?

Also are there other carbon fiber shafts where ring work can be added (most look like there is no room)?

Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish more would, I ordered my Tascarella I'm having made with solid black and no rings to match my Jacoby Black shaft.

crazy8legs

Registered
I would have thought there would have been more discussion around this because I can't be the only person wanting matching ring work on a CF shaft. This is the whole reason why shaft makers like Predator and OB sell partials, isn't it?

In no particular order: Meucci, Black Magic, XLR8, KrindleKin, and BDcues are shafts/cue makers who will match ring work. But I have no idea how any of these hit aside from the Meucci, and I have found very few to no reviews on them.

Right now the only big-name company I see offering ring matching is Meucci, and that looks like it's only on their own cues.

If you look at the design of the Meucci shaft, it looks like 3 different parts: the collar (which looks like what you would find on a wood shaft and appears to be built around wood), then the area where they put their logo, then where the carbon fiber shaft looks to actually start.

Almost every other CF shaft I've seen uses what looks like an 1/8" collar. So I'm guessing it is the actual construction used that won't (physically) allow for adding the beauty rings.

Hopefully when the CF 2.0's come out, there will be more options...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I sent my JD Cue custom shaft to Meucci and they matched my joint collar.

Meucci 1.jpg

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most fancy rings especially with the colors besides black & white on cf shaft look like a "foreign body" and they do not make them look better ... on the contrary...
If I ever switch from my solid maple LD shaft to cf shaft it would be no rings and for the butt with no fancy rings at the joint...they could be at the handle and butt sleeve if there is a desire to have some (imho).

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
The picture I posted is a crappy picture sent to me from Meucci to get my approval on the sticker. The shaft on my dark Ebony cue looks fantastic.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I believe there are additional cue makers that would do the work to add ringwork to your carbon fiber shafts but would most likely void all warrenties provided by the original products company.

I think it's easier for Meucci to do the ringwork because they already have the rings available for their cues in house. Sort of like getting matching joint protectors made. Other cue makers would have to build the ringwork to match or even order matching ringwork from the original cuemaker of the butt. That's extra time and money, making it more expensive to everyone.

I personally have 8 cf shafts at the moment and only 1 has ringwork on it. I have no desire to get any others matched. I even have 2 Revos that could alternate between 5 cues so the ringwork wouldn't match any of them.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most fancy rings especially with the colors besides black & white on cf shaft look like a "foreign body" and they do not make them look better ... on the contrary...
If I ever switch from my solid maple LD shaft to cf shaft it would be no rings and for the butt with no fancy rings at the joint...they could be at the handle and butt sleeve if there is a desire to have some (imho).
This was kind of my feeling with building my Tascarella, I wanted my new cue to match my CF shaft, so I went with solid black with no nickel rings by the joint.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was kind of my feeling with building my Tascarella, I wanted my new cue to match my CF shaft, so I went with solid black with no nickel rings by the joint.
In my opinion that is just the best decision at least that's what I would do too. In addition it seems to me that so many players switching to cf ...they are more concerned about what it gives as a "playing tool" than its look...

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
However, out of curiosity does anyone know which one of the ringwork carbon shaft hits best? Except Meucci, I won’t buy one of those.

crazy8legs

Registered
That's the problem. The only big company matching ring work is Meucci and at least there are some reviews on them. The others I listed above are small volume cue makers, so who knows how they hit.

gregnice37

Silver Member
However, out of curiosity does anyone know which one of the ringwork carbon shaft hits best? Except Meucci, I won’t buy one of those.
Why a no go on the Meucci? They play very good IMO. I rank them 3rd after Revo & Ignite out of the 10 brands I've tried.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a real hard time trusting their quality. Haven’t heard good things.
I only have seen First generation shafts. But I know at least 6 people that play with Meucci CF shafts. I have never heard anything but good reviews. I bought a used 12.75 MM 30" shaft a little over a year ago. It is a pleasure to play with. I have had my new First generation shaft with the matching rings for two months. It plays exactly like my other one. Both shafts have had their ferrules sanded down to 12.6 MM. I wouldn't trade ether of them for any other shaft on the market. I have played with the Revo, Cuetec, and Jacoby. I don't like the Revo. The tip you put on makes a big difference. The tip that comes on the Meucci is junk imo. My shaft plays best with Kamui Black Soft or Kamikaze Black Medium. The Kamikaze Black Medium is my go to tip.

crazy8legs

Registered
Just a real hard time trusting their quality. Haven’t heard good things.

Sorry for the late reply here but this is my issue too, along with what I've heard about their customer service.

Regarding their quality maybe it has improved but I've seen first hand on multiple occasions (and to be fair this was over 10 years ago) cues with bent points, glue lines coming out of the veneers, and just poor craftsman in general. Which sucks because the first cue I ever bought was a Meucci 25 years ago. And I still love it.

gregnice37

Silver Member
Sorry for the late reply here but this is my issue too, along with what I've heard about their customer service.

Regarding their quality maybe it has improved but I've seen first hand on multiple occasions (and to be fair this was over 10 years ago) cues with bent points, glue lines coming out of the veneers, and just poor craftsman in general. Which sucks because the first cue I ever bought was a Meucci 25 years ago. And I still love it.

At one point Bob had let his daughter and son in law take over the company then and the quality went way down. Bob retook control and the quality has been vastly inlmproved since. The BMC line of cues are outstanding and his LD wood and CF shafts are real sporty. I was in your guys boats about trusting Meucci years ago. But I've owned 5 or 6 BMC cues in the last 7-8 years and all have been solid. Still have 3 new cues & 6 shafts from them in my collection.