RIP - Pretty Boy Floyd

Rusty in Montana

Fjk , I'm sorry to learn of your sister's passing and totally understand why she made that choice a friend of mine has done the same thing .

For me I'm a pig headed SOB and decided I was going to kick cancer to the curb I had relatives who didn't survive the treatments .
I had to stop and take a break to climb 6 steps to get into the house .
Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but respectfully add to it .

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend was with Jim back in the 70's when they ran into good Texas player Erman Bullard. Mataya kept calling him 'Billiard' and my friend said it was funny as hell. Even Erman had to smile at JM's antics. RIPstraight shooter.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just received word this morning that Jimmy Mataya passed. What a loss to the billiard community. Love him or hate him, Jimmy was the epitome of an entertainer and an extremely talented player. RIP buddy! :cry:

View attachment 750185
I seem to remember that Jimmy had a standing offer for many years to play anybody Straight Pool for $10.000. Anyone remember this?

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mataya was indeed a colorful character. He has made me laugh quite a few times with his banter. He provided me with many hours of great entertainment and I think he definitely was an asset to the game. Plus he could dab it! My condolence's to his family. He will be missed.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Condolences to his family and friends. :( I absolutely loved his how to hustle pool video. It was a treat. There were some big name players in that video, gonna have to give it a watch again.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember that Jimmy had a standing offer for many years to play anybody Straight Pool for $10.000. Anyone remember this?
I'm guessing that couldn't be true. He never had much of a bank roll, plus, there were many who would have been favorites over Jimmy. Great player, but not THAT great.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fjk , I'm sorry to learn of your sister's passing and totally understand why she made that choice a friend of mine has done the same thing .

For me I'm a pig headed SOB and decided I was going to kick cancer to the curb I had relatives who didn't survive the treatments .
I had to stop and take a break to climb 6 steps to get into the house .
Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but respectfully add to it .
Glad you got through it Buddy. Freaking cancer.

I didn't know how bad aggressive chemo could be. My sister was hallucinating and confused. Her doctor said that was something people refer to as "chemo brain". So on top of everything else that's going wrong your brain stops working right.