RIP Richard Sweet

Vixen

Registered
Just wanted to let everyone in the pool community know about a great man who passed away last night. Richard Sweet was the owner of Mr. Cue's II in Atlanta, GA. He was such a kind, caring and charismatic man and he will truly be missed by all who knew him.

Services for Richard will be held at Flanigan's Funeral Home in Buford at 1:30 on Saturday, December 5. He will be cremated but the family would love to have the people he loved come and remember him. The information is below:

Flanigan Funeral Home and Crematory
4400 S. Lee Street
Buford, Georgia 30518
(770) 932-1133

http://www.flaniganfuneralhome.com/Flanigan/Flanigan.htm

Attachments

• Richard.jpg
    Richard.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 437

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
this sucks. he has been sick for a while i know but it still sucks. he was a great guy. when i first moved here to atlanta and began shooting pool again cues was one of the first places i went to. he overheard me talking to someone about my old meucci cues and how much i liked thier old stuff. he told me to follow him and he took me to an office where he spent about an hour showing me all of the older and rare meucci cues he had and just talking to me about cues, life, and pool in general (in no particular order). he also did a really nice thing sponsoring the ladies tournaments at cues. my girlfriend has played in a few and i thought it was a really classy touch to let the women of the area have a go at running thier own show. betty i know you are deeply involved in that and hope his passing won't slow down that series of tournaments. thank you for the update, all be it a very somber one.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
I played golf with Richard about 15 years ago. He was a nice guy and Mr.Cues II is and has been one of he premier pool rooms for a long time now. There has been more top players, tourneys, and big money matches there than anywhere in the south I'd say. RIP Richard and condolences to the family.

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started shooting pool in 86' at Richard and family's pool room.And I still shoot there to this day.Richard will be missed by many.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry!!!

Dam that is hard to swaller!! we all i can say is richard rack them i get the break when i get there!!1 STICK:(

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
This is indeed terrible news for the billiard world. Richard and his family had a passion for the game and the players and always supported the sport with grace and dignity. My most successful events in the deep South were held in both Mr. Cues and Mr. Cues II. A true billiard angel, our game has suffered a tremendous loss.

My condolences to Susan and the entire family. Robin

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
I have just lost a great friend....no more like a family member. Richard was a fantastic guy and he treated me well. Thanks for letting us all know Betty.

Richard I will truly miss you.

Tikkitavi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was one the good guys that always strived to make the pool world a better place. He will be missed by so many.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Betty...That is sad news. Richard was a really nice man, and I got to know him fairly well over the last 15 years. He was always very kind to me, and generous with the room, whenever I was giving lessons in Cues II (many times). My condolences to the family. Best wishes to you in pursuing your pro career (Do you remember when we played? You were going to school at Southern Poly, and I was doing shows there).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Just wanted to let everyone in the pool community know about a great man who passed away last night. Richard Sweet was the owner of Mr. Cue's II in Atlanta, GA. He was such a kind, caring and charismatic man and he will truly be missed by all who knew him.

Services for Richard will be held at Flanigan's Funeral Home in Buford at 1:30 on Saturday, December 5. He will be cremated but the family would love to have the people he loved come and remember him. The information is below:

Flanigan Funeral Home and Crematory
4400 S. Lee Street
Buford, Georgia 30518
(770) 932-1133

http://www.flaniganfuneralhome.com/Flanigan/Flanigan.htm

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
this is really sad news. i have known richard and his wife susan for many years and they have always been the kind of people to give you the shirt off of their backs. they always went out of their way to put on great tournaments and to do as much as possible for the sport and the players. he will be greatly missed. my prayers go out to susan and his children.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
This is a huge loss to many of us in the pool community.

My Richard story:

A few years ago, I was the tournament director for the Fury tour. We had a stop scheduled one weekend at Cues II. Since I live in Charlotte, I drove to Atlanta the night before the tournament. About the time I hit Atlanta, the weather started to get ugly with a winter sleet storm. I checked into the Day's Inn behind Cues and went over to shoot a little bit as the weather got worse. By Saturday morning, the entire city was covered in about 2 inches of ice. Obviously, nobody was going to be driving anywhere that day. There were two players from out of town who had also driven in Friday night, so the three of us were stranded in the motel.
Richard got the room opened up around 11am, and invited the 3 of us to come on in. He told us to stay as long as we wanted, no charge for table time. He also managed to get a batch of chili cooking up, and we all got fed a nice warm lunch.
He could have just stayed home and left us to fend for ourselves, but that wasn't Richard.

My sincere sympathy to Susan and his family. He was one of a kind.

Steve

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of great stories on what a great guy he was. Hugs to his
friends and his family. Sad to see the pool world has lost another
gem.

peace

geno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will miss Richard very deerly. He has been a great friend to everyone.

I will keep Richard and his family in my prayers.