Silver Member
Just saw this on FB.

Pool loses one of it's greats.

1701859804672.png

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i found some more info from focus taiwan:

Billiards coach/commentator Chang Ming-hsiung (張明雄) told local media that Yang died of cancer.

He was cited by the United Daily News as saying that Yang was diagnosed with an unidentified cancer about a year ago and had undergone chemotherapy.

"He chose to keep his fight against cancer a secret and did not want us to make it public," Chang told the newspaper.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP, sad to read, watched a lot of his matches when i first got into pool, was such a beast.
You probably got to see his exploits in person. On the other side of the world all we got was some guy known as the best money player in the world. If there is video of this stage in his life I'd love watching.

okrad

You probably got to see his exploits in person. On the other side of the world all we got was some guy known as the best money player in the world. If there is video of this stage in his life I'd love watching.
Not in person unfortunately, but on tv in early to mid 2000's (Guinness 9ball tour had great asian players, on Star sports).

Always admired his poise at the table.

There's some matches from that era on youtube, but a lot are missing.
this is against Busti in 2002, there's also his money match against Dennis on youtube, but it's all in low quality for today's standards..

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not in person unfortunately, but on tv in early to mid 2000's (Guinness 9ball tour had great asian players, on Star sports).

Always admired his poise at the table.

There's some matches from that era on youtube, but a lot are missing.
this is against Busti in 2002, there's also his money match against Dennis on youtube, but it's all in low quality for today's standards..
Thanks. I've seen some of those - high quality play but connecting tournament footage to his reputation is a leap of faith. Other matches with Chang JL and Ko PY gave little indication as well. High quality play but no depiction of the legend. Maybe the stories will come to light. RIP

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I've seen some of those - high quality play but connecting tournament footage to his reputation is a leap of faith. Other matches with Chang JL and Ko PY gave little indication as well. High quality play but no depiction of the legend. Maybe the stories will come to light. RIP

good point. i too only know of him from the world championships, where he was often called the best player not to have won a world championship. i know he was a feared money player but haven't really heard many stories. fong pang chao and the contemporary pinoys/japanese would probably know the most

WobblyStroke

Same. I've seen just about all his matches on YT from the early 2000s and he had everyone's respect. Even Earl, who would say things like "If he had to break from the break box, he'd break his hand" to the likes of a Nick Van Den Berg and wasn't shy about his feelings for his competition only ever praised Yang. In one of their matches in Cardiff, Yang made a damn near impossible bank where he had to bang it and spin it to shorten it up enough and Earl yelled to the crowd, "That's a real player right there". Nothing but profuse praise and respect from Earl towards Yang in pre and post match interviews. From Earl. C'mon. He had to be great.

Phong Pang Choa's protege didn't take very long to overtake his master, a world champion in his own right. The guy was indeed a beast. He was so used to being perfect that he'd slap his chalk down if he missed shape by an inch or two (and was still on the ball correctly). Pure perfectionist. Extremely steady and poised. A great of the game indeed. Sorry to lose him.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He beat up Orcullo at his prime in a long race (possibly twice). I forgot what year this was but it's got to be over 10 years ago...

Not sure what happened to the ending of that second video, but I'm pretty confident that Yang ended up beating Dennis.

RIP Yang Ching Shun.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a loss. I had just asked about him last week in a thread. Did some research and read he was ill at some point. Those comments from Earl mentioned here drew my attention as I hadn't heard of him at the time, around 2002? There was a thread on his money games with Orcullo on here; consensus seemed to be Dennis had finally met his match in gambling matches.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I just hope that what this guy accomplished in pool continues to be recognized. Never met him, no personal memories of him, but as a fan of the game some players make such a mark that it would be a shame to not appreciate just how good they were.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
What awful, tragic, sad news. RIP, Son of Pool, one of the all-time greats.

gcgaryyoyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2004, the World Pool Championship was moved from Cardiff, Wales to Taipei, Taiwan. Renowned players flocked in, not just to participate in the tournament, but also engaged in the after-hour matches in "Simon's Pool Club" when the business was still being run in the XiMen area of Taipei, because that was THE place for pros to gather for practices and actions. Jose Parica had try to set up a race to 30 match with Yang for 10K USD but the action fell through because allegedly Yang thought it was too late and the group stage would begin the next day. Sometime later Yang came back to Parica and asked to play but would like to raise the bet to 30K and this time (allegedly) Parica turned down the action. It was at this moment that Bustamante stepped up and say I'll play for 10K, let's do a 9 ball race to 21 on the main table with Asian's favorite 3.6 inch pockets. And so the action began.

Picture quality is awful but this was almost twenty years ago taken indoor. Bear with me.

money2.jpg

Yang and Bustamante would rack for each other, and would keep complaining about each other's rack to throw off the other guy lol.

money3.jpg
money4.jpg

Archer (in orange shirt) and the then-young-gun Alcaide looked on when Django was shooting.

money6.jpg

Vaguely you can see on the scoreboard the score was at 19:12.

money8.jpg

The place was absolutely jam-packed at 1am.

The Son of Pool really took Django to school that night, beating him 21:12. The total wager came down to about 30K USD, with 10K put up from players and 20K from side bet. Pretty sure Mr.Pagulayan knows all of the story (he probably acted as intermediary/negotiator in most of these money matches between Filipino and Taiwanese players!) That must've been one of the earlier times when words got out that this young man from Taiwan would be the "King of money matches."

Attachments

• money1.jpg
    money1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2004, the World Pool Championship was moved from Cardiff, Wales to Taipei, Taiwan. A lot of players also engaged in the after-hour matches in "Simon's Pool Club" when the business was still being run in the XiMen area of Taipei, because that was THE place for pros to gather for practices and actions. Jose Parica had try to set up a race to 30 match with Yang for 10K USD but the action fell through because allegedly Yang thought it was too late and the group stage would begin the next day. Sometime later Yang came back to Parica and asked to play but would like to raise the bet to 30K and this time (allegedly) Parica turned down the action. It was at this moment that Bustamante stepped up and say I'll play for 10K, let's do a 9 ball race to 21 on the main table with Asian's favorite 3.6 inch pockets. And so the action began.

Picture quality is awful but this was almost twenty years ago taken indoor. Bear with me.

View attachment 731369
Yang and Bustamante would rack for each other, and would keep complaining about each other's rack to throw off the other guy lol.

View attachment 731370View attachment 731371
Archer (in orange shirt) and the then-young-gun Alcaide looked on when Django was shooting.

View attachment 731372
Vaguely you can see on the scoreboard the score was at 19:12.

View attachment 731373
The place was absolutely jam-packed at 1am.

The Son of Pool really took Django to school that night, beating him 21:12. The total wager came down to about 30K USD, with 10K put up from players and 20K from side bet. Pretty sure Mr.Pagulayan knows all of the story (he probably acted as intermediary/negotiator in most of these monety matches between Filipino and Taiwanese players!) That must've been one of the earlier times when words got out that this young man from Taiwan would be the "King of money matches."

appreciated! one gets a feeling of the vibe in the room.