roller bridge

billlaur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a decision on the use of the roller bridge in tournament play?BCA or APA...thanks

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legal in CSI/BCAPL/USAPL play. While I can't speak specifically to other rule sets, I don't see any reason that it would be illegal under World Standardized Rules.

Buddy

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We just had our local APA MVP tournaments this weekend for 8 and 9 ball. There is a guy from another division that has very limited use of his right arm and to a lesser extent, his legs. He uses a few different beanbag looking things, and this hockey puck kinda bridge that his cue slides through, but he can lift his cue and pick up the puck with his stick. He plays pretty good considering how unconventional he is shooting. But this is regular (APA) rules, not handicap or anything like that, so I guess all those things are legal.

Justaneng

Registered
Just checked the APA rule book, roller bridges aren't specified or defined, so there may not be a specific ruling on that yet. I'd imagine disabled players they'd be without a question allowed as a "special consideration" - but not sure what would happen if someone pitched a fit in Vegas for a non-disabled player using a roller bridge.

APA Rule Book definition of "bridge": Bridge: (1) Hand that holds and guides the cue shaft; (2) The type of hold; (3) A shaped plate mounted or placed near or at the tip of a cue stick.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We just had our local APA MVP tournaments this weekend for 8 and 9 ball. There is a guy from another division that has very limited use of his right arm and to a lesser extent, his legs. He uses a few different beanbag looking things, and this hockey puck kinda bridge that his cue slides through, but he can lift his cue and pick up the puck with his stick. He plays pretty good considering how unconventional he is shooting. But this is regular (APA) rules, not handicap or anything like that, so I guess all those things are legal.

There is a guy in the local APA league, at least there was a few years ago, who had a device similar to this. The bottom was round, flat, and heavy and there was a piece of plastic that stuck straight up with two holes in it. He could put the cue in either hole for follow/draw and then lift the stick to pick up the device. He shot pretty sporty actually. I believe he had Phocomelia.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can do just about anything in the APA. All they care about is your money, TAP is the same BTW!!

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can do just about anything in the APA. All they care about is your money, TAP is the same BTW!!
Agreed.
My team, and a few of our friends from other teams often gripe about things like handicaps and rules within the APA. My standard answer, and one that has clarified it for me, is that first and foremost, the APA (and TAP) is a business. Teams doing well and running away from the pack often get handicaps raised. Teams doing poorly will have handicaps lowered. It helps the business if everyone is close and has a chance, then nobody drops out. I liked playing NAPA, but that isn't around my area right now.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed.
My team, and a few of our friends from other teams often gripe about things like handicaps and rules within the APA. My standard answer, and one that has clarified it for me, is that first and foremost, the APA (and TAP) is a business. Teams doing well and running away from the pack often get handicaps raised. Teams doing poorly will have handicaps lowered. It helps the business if everyone is close and has a chance, then nobody drops out. I liked playing NAPA, but that isn't around my area right now.
The best league I have played in by a HUGE margin was the ACS. In the ACS there were no issues with handicaps we played more actual pool and actually had none of the issues that are associated with APA & TAP .

The ACS handicap scare adjusted after every single week of play. There is no 23 or 25 handicap numbers so even pro level players can join and play.

ACS stands for American Cue Sports for any that do not know. Look them up,

I live in NC and the only options I have are the APA / TAP so I am never playing league again! Leagues are a waste of time and money for me…

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Stick rolls on bridge or bridge rolls on cloth?

615a+b5DvqL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-1000,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The best league I have played in by a HUGE margin was the ACS. In the ACS there were no issues with handicaps we played more actual pool and actually had none of the issues that are associated with APA & TAP .

The ACS handicap scare adjusted after every single week of play. There is no 23 or 25 handicap numbers so even pro level players can join and play.

ACS stands for American Cue Sports for any that do not know. Look them up,

I live in NC and the only options I have are the APA / TAP so I am never playing league again! Leagues are a waste of time and money for me…
I play weekly in the CCS. The Canadian variant of ACS. Closest thing to the old BCA leagues of the past. Play with whomever you want, handicaps as heavy as the quality of team. Format has you playing literally everyone else in the league.

It's everything the APA advertises but does it better.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a couple league members using one similar to the one in the picture last year, but with theirs, you could attach it to anywhere on the shaft. It got a few of us talking about it, but with those two players, nobody was going to question its use as for them there truly was a reason it was needed and became a non issue for the rest of us.
It wasn't a disadvantage in how and why they were using it.

Justaneng

Registered
Trying to formulate an early man discovers wheel joke but ok... Will those do jump shots or even draw shots?
The only person I know that uses one in an APA SL-2. It seems to be good for preventing miscues on long reaches for players who struggle with a standard bridge - but that's about it. Absolutely no chance for a jump shot as there is no way to get a downward angle on the top half of the ball.

There may be an advantage for better players, but only for instances where there's a long clean look at the cue ball, you don't really need English, and it's a high traffic area where it's tricky get a good position to set the bridge.

A little baby draw may be possible but there is no real way to get low and level.