Room readiment

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in the process of buying a pool table to fit in a house built in the late 1920s/early 1930s with pier and beam construction. The table will be placed on the ground floor and will be from one of the 4 top brands {Olhausen, Connelly, Brunswick, Diamond} in the $3K-$4K range, 1" slate, typical weight.

The floor sits aboout 2+1/2 foot above actual ground. Is it recommended that I get some jacks and footings to reinforce the floor under where the table will be positioned and prevent the table from taking on a list over time?

(if needed, or just a good idea) Should the jacks be under the actual feet of the table, or support the already existing beams?

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I certainly would take the time to shore up the beams, no need to go right under the legs of the table as the weight is distributed.

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
It depends on the size, condition) and span of the joists. I have a 17x23 room in a house of similar construction. Five feet from one wall I have an eight-foot, 1-inch slate Olhausen sitting long side to the 17-foot wall. A few months after install, I had to add a shim (about 1/32") under one leg. Since then (about eight years), the table has remained dead level. Even after a 6.1 earthquake centered eight miles away.

Good luck to you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am in the process of buying a pool table to fit in a house built in the late 1920s/early 1930s with pier and beam construction. The table will be placed on the ground floor and will be from one of the 4 top brands {Olhausen, Connelly, Brunswick, Diamond} in the $3K-$4K range, 1" slate, typical weight.

The floor sits aboout 2+1/2 foot above actual ground. Is it recommended that I get some jacks and footings to reinforce the floor under where the table will be positioned and prevent the table from taking on a list over time?

(if needed, or just a good idea) Should the jacks be under the actual feet of the table, or support the already existing beams?

You can scratch Connelly off your list, as they're out of business:wink:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the size, condition) and span of the joists. I have a 17x23 room in a house of similar construction. Five feet from one wall I have an eight-foot, 1-inch slate Olhausen sitting long side to the 17-foot wall. A few months after install, I had to add a shim (about 1/32") under one leg. Since then (about eight years), the table has remained dead level.

Thanks, this room is 16'8"*14', so I guess I try it and see if the house takes a new set before going underneith.

And thanks to everyone else, also.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"caution, you don't have enough room for a 9 footer. "

I am abundantly aware of that--but thanks anyway.

Re: Connelly Out-of-Business. I can see that C is in chapter 11, but I find no evidence that they are actually OoB. Do we have any evidence that they will not emerge from Ch 11? or that they have change from ch 11 to some other chapter under the bankrupcy remedy laws?

WilliamD

Registered

With pier and beam construction from the time period you have stated you have a very stable floor. Any settle of foundation piers has already taken place long ago. These homes were built from oversize full dimensional lumber (no longer available in the industry ) in comparison to the relative toothpicks used in todays construction methods. The span load of floor joists in your room will fully accomidate the weight of your table plus guests if the members have not suffered any decomposition over the years. Placing supports on the ground between the piers could result in more floor disturbance than without. This is due to lack of depth to undisturbed soil from seasonal changes. I agree with the previous post by junkbond and your thought to install as is with possibly a minor reshim/readjust after a few weeks or months. A slab on grade is the worst condition for table consistency!! You are much better off !

WilliamD ;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
"caution, you don't have enough room for a 9 footer. "

I am abundantly aware of that--but thanks anyway.

Re: Connelly Out-of-Business. I can see that C is in chapter 11, but I find no evidence that they are actually OoB. Do we have any evidence that they will not emerge from Ch 11? or that they have change from ch 11 to some other chapter under the bankrupcy remedy laws?

Filing Chapter 11 in this economy today, and in this kind of business...is not a good idea, as it requires more sales to pull out of it, and if they had the sales in the first place...they wouldn't have filed...just my thoughts;)

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
Filing Chapter 11 in this economy today, and in this kind of business...is not a good idea, as it requires more sales to pull out of it, and if they had the sales in the first place...they wouldn't have filed...just my thoughts;)

Before me and my wife were married she had to file a Chapter 13 and it was hell on her , and now we have a house ( in my name he he ) and everythings cleared up but it was her own fault , she tried to buy two apartment house's thinkin they would bring in more money and it was the oppisite effect it drained the money out of us instead of helping us it's just a last resort in filing .