Room sizes

Obelix1001

Hi Guys,

I’m really struggling between a 7ft table and a regular 8ft table. My room dimensions are 13ft wide by 20ft.

I’ve searched guides and they suggest 13ft6”
but I was wondering if anyone has a similar size and what there experience has been.

Would you guys rather play with shorter cues or a smaller table? Or 58 inch cues for 80 percent of the shots with a 48 nearby? It’s a one time major investment for me so any input is really appreciated.
Many thanks!

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7' and it's not even close. 8 would be a nightmare, it's just no fun to get into a groove, and have to break your rhythm just to go find the shorty cue. 14' would be my personal minimum for a 4x8. I don't like their recommendation at all.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

I’m really struggling between a 7ft table and a regular 8ft table. My room dimensions are 13ft wide by 20ft.

but I was wondering if anyone has a similar size and what there experience has been.

Would you guys rather play with shorter cues or a smaller table? Or 58 inch cues for 80 percent of the shots with a 48 nearby? It’s a one time major investment for me so any input is really appreciated.
Many thanks!
Hi Guys,

Many thanks!
7-foot - you’ll still need short cue for some shots, as you need 13’6” width.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a list of table sizes showing the sizes of "shorty" sticks that would be needed in order to have at least 6 inches of stroking room all around. You wouldn't need a shorty stick for shots at the ends of the table unless you get a 12-footer. For shots at the sides (perpendicular to the rail) you'd need a shorty stick between 55.50" (for the smallest 6-footer) down to 41.00" (for a 12-footer).

pj
chgo

room size.JPG

Obelix1001

Here's a list of table sizes showing the sizes of "shorty" sticks that would be needed in order to have at least 6 inches of stroking room all around. You wouldn't need a shorty stick for shots at the ends of the table unless you get a 12-footer. For shots at the sides (perpendicular to the rail) you'd need a shorty stick between 55.50" (for the smallest 6-footer) down to 41.00" (for a 12-footer).

pj
chgo

View attachment 579275
Thank you for this. I appreciate it. Seems both tables sizes will require a shorty stick for shots.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys,

Many thanks!
I know most internet people would say you need a 13’ 6” for the width of a room for a 7’ table, but it’s a bit of a guess based on nothing.

if you want to always have a minimum 6” stroke and have a 58” cue from tip to bumper, then the minimum width is 13’ 10”. If your cue is a little longer than 58”, then you might need more room. If you’re tall, and you keep you back leg a fair distance behind you, you might need even more room.

You can get away with less than 13’ 10” on the width, but only you can answer whether short cues and tight quarters are in your future. If a short cue is for you, cues like the Balance Rite short cue is a must. It’s weighted and balanced so that you can stroke regularly with their 52” model. It’s not for everyone.

Obelix1001

I know most internet people would say you need a 13’ 6” for the width of a room for a 7’ table, but it’s a bit of a guess based on nothing.

if you want to always have a minimum 6” stroke and have a 58” cue from tip to bumper, then the minimum width is 13’ 10”. If your cue is a little longer than 58”, then you might need more room. If you’re tall, and you keep you back leg a fair distance behind you, you might need even more room.

You can get away with less than 13’ 10” on the width, but only you can answer whether short cues and tight quarters are in your future. If a short cue is for you, cues like the Balance Rite short cue is a must. It’s weighted and balanced so that you can stroke regularly with their 52” model. It’s not for everyone.
Thank you for your opinion. I wonder if anyone here has tried it and regretted it...

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your opinion. I wonder if anyone here has tried it and regretted it...
I have a 20' by 12 6" room. I purchased a 7 foot table and use a short cue for most East and West shots. I mainly due drills headed North and South. Corner man gave you good advice.
Also any table is better than no table.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It doesn't make much difference how other people feel about it -- you are the one who will either be delighted to have a table or maybe smashing holes in the sheetrock out of frustration. No one here can tell you how you will feel about it.

How about this: Figure out how far the wall will be from the table if you get it. Take a tape measure to a bar or pool room and put a couple of bar stools at that same distance from the table. See how you like it. (The wall will be 6.5 feet from the center of the table on each side.)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Maybe not as bad as it sounds...

The amount of room "needed" always assumes the extreme case - cue ball frozen to the rail shooting exactly perpendicular to the rail using all the stroking room. Most shots won't be perpendicular to the rail, and some will need less stroking room, so you might not need the short stick as much as you think.

pj
chgo

Obelix1001

Thank you everyone for your opinions. After chalking it on the floor and using an adjustable painter handle for cue size, I think I’m going to get the 8ft with 2 x 57 cues and 2 x 52 inch cues

it’s really the east west, on the rails shot that gets affected. None of us are pros and it’s really just to have beers around and shoot the time. Not going to go pro or join leagues anytime soon.
Heck I might just make everyone only use 52s all the time to not affect the groove. Also the gain of going down to a 7ft table is only 3 inches per side. Still not enough to make it mind blowingly different imo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your opinions. After chalking it on the floor and using an adjustable painter handle for cue size, I think I’m going to get the 8ft with 2 x 57 cues and 2 x 52 inch cues

it’s really the east west, on the rails shot that gets affected. None of us are pros and it’s really just to have beers around and shoot the time. Not going to go pro or join leagues anytime soon.
Heck I might just make everyone only use 52s all the time to not affect the groove. Also the gain of going down to a 7ft table is only 3 inches per side. Still not enough to make it mind blowingly different imo
If its just shits-n-giggles pool get a bar-box. Everyone will make more balls.

Floydbeth

Registered

I have similar room size,I recommend 7 ft table max.

Obelix1001

Maybe one more point I should add... there’s a pool table discontinuing this line of pool tables that’s regular price 12k for the 8fter. He has it marked down to 6k. I offered him 3500 cash and he accepted if I want it.... delivered installed and with a felt colour change, cues balls and cover.

This is in Canadian dollars btw lol. 3500 cad is about 2500 US and that gets you an entry level table up here. So I feel like it’s a deal. But don’t want to be stuck with something unplayable or that is so frustrating I just don’t use it.

here’s a pic of the 8fter in the store and after I change the felt...

Attachments

• A75ED6CA-C17D-41C3-8835-8D29CD58CBB0.jpeg
    A75ED6CA-C17D-41C3-8835-8D29CD58CBB0.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 688D514C-8850-4020-B72E-589AE4EABADE.jpeg
    688D514C-8850-4020-B72E-589AE4EABADE.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 122
  • DD764A6B-09CC-48DD-A414-A81EE1B2FB5B.jpeg
    DD764A6B-09CC-48DD-A414-A81EE1B2FB5B.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 04B7306A-311E-4C53-BC80-6E9ABE17AF93.jpeg
    04B7306A-311E-4C53-BC80-6E9ABE17AF93.jpeg