Room sizes

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
You know I was wondering myself why all the pool table dealers around here sold patio stuff too??? The connection is so bizarre.
It makes perfect sense. Most suburban Billiards Stores sell FURNITURE pool tables so patio furniture, hot tubs and dart boards all flow together. Add in home theater seating, poker tables and cheap art.

They are home entertainment stores. I bet you don't see many (or any) with a Gold Crown V or Diamond Pro sitting on the floor.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know I was wondering myself why all the pool table dealers around here sold patio stuff too??? The connection is so bizarre.
The accidental auto-marketing is what happened. People who already did pools and spas getting 15% (or whatever) of their potential-customer calls asking for pool tables. They all figured that they could easily just say yes to those callers and get into the pool table business rather than saying no to potential thousands in sales.

Cuedup

A few years ago I had someone give me an 8' pool table. I put it in the only place that was available. Shooting north/south is fine but shooting off the rails is tight, requiring elevation. I started shooting and really enjoyed it. I joined a league and practiced a lot but shooting off the rail was always an issue at the house. Now, I'm looking at trading the 8 footer in for a 7 .

dd1228

Registered
I have a GC1 nine foot table in a room 13 x 18 and have no problem. Once in a while I need a 48 inch cue, but very seldom. I would definitely go with the 8 footer. It will force you to learn to play position to keep the cue ball off the rails as an added bonus! Have fun!

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since this is not a commercial table, the leg design looks like the bed would tilt from side to side when you lean over it to make a shot.

Monti

Hi Guys,

I’m really struggling between a 7ft table and a regular 8ft table. My room dimensions are 13ft wide by 20ft.

I’ve searched guides and they suggest 13ft6”
but I was wondering if anyone has a similar size and what there experience has been.

Would you guys rather play with shorter cues or a smaller table? Or 58 inch cues for 80 percent of the shots with a 48 nearby? It’s a one time major investment for me so any input is really appreciated.
Many thanks!
Some interesting comments on which size to go for. What would everyone’s opinion be on going fo the larger table but having it on a moving rail system so that each side can easily have cueing space? Buddy of mine has done this and it works great

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some interesting comments on which size to go for. What would everyone’s opinion be on going fo the larger table but having it on a moving rail system so that each side can easily have cueing space? Buddy of mine has done this and it works great
Hm. Out of the box thinking for sure. If you could make the rails stable enough I could see it working, like use actual train track rail and machined wheels with heavy duty bearings. Might be a bit irritating to have to roll the table every time you're stuck, but definitely better than having to use a shorty cue. I'd still rather play on a smaller table though.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Think I've played on those moving rail tables before. Moving pockets, too. :shakesfist:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a guess, but is your Buddy an engineer, or did he employ one to figure the system out? Seems it would be difficult to have a rail system that could support that much weight yet allow relatively easy repositioning - BUT not move the table with a simple hip bump - AND maintain a dead level at the same time.

Can you get any pictures of the setup? I'm curious to see how this was implemented. I have adequate room for my 9' but this concept could help out some folks if it's not cost-prohibitive to install.

Monti

Just a guess, but is your Buddy an engineer, or did he employ one to figure the system out? Seems it would be difficult to have a rail system that could support that much weight yet allow relatively easy repositioning - BUT not move the table with a simple hip bump - AND maintain a dead level at the same time.

Can you get any pictures of the setup? I'm curious to see how this was implemented. I have adequate room for my 9' but this concept could help out some folks if it's not cost-prohibitive to install.
He is at the early stages. Currently it works just by a simple push and what surprised me is the balls dont move. When he finishes it, he intends to have Bluetooth activation so when you finish your shot, you tap a button in your back pocket and by the time you are ready for your next shot, the table is in position!

Obelix1001

He is at the early stages. Currently it works just by a simple push and what surprised me is the balls dont move. When he finishes it, he intends to have Bluetooth activation so when you finish your shot, you tap a button in your back pocket and by the time you are ready for your next shot, the table is in position!
This an absolutely brilliant idea

Obelix1001

UPDATE****
I ended up getting the 8ft table. The salesman put in the contract I could exchange it for a 7ft within 30 days. I’ve played about 15 games now and I can say with certainty that I am very happy I went with the 8ft table. I have a shorty cue and have never used it even once.
I believe the serious players in here take it to a next level and don’t want any thought of impediment to their game which I respect. I use the example that I’m a bit of an audio videophile and I’m very particular about that stuff. For the average guy who wants to shoot pool with some buddies while the game is on, a 13ft wide room with an 8ft table is absolutely fine. Just my two cents!

Attachments

• 30887435-0783-4686-B6FB-1FD00C69A919.jpeg
    30887435-0783-4686-B6FB-1FD00C69A919.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 72
  • B2AACBA8-5A4D-410B-8768-80C4D42CE633.jpeg
    B2AACBA8-5A4D-410B-8768-80C4D42CE633.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice! Looks like it may be tight if frozen on the rail, but the other 95% of the shots should be fine. Enjoy!