Rotation for a drill?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s an instructors take on rotation type practice? We all play the ghost etc. I know a lot of pros practice this way but doesn’t this qualify for the HAMB theory? Some say ball in hand after the break while others say no, practice push outs and safeties against yourself. What would you tell your students on playing this?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s an instructors take on rotation type practice? We all play the ghost etc. I know a lot of pros practice this way but doesn’t this qualify for the HAMB theory? Some say ball in hand after the break while others say no, practice push outs and safeties against yourself. What would you tell your students on playing this?

So are you asking how we would recommend practicing for rotation games?

Number 1 priority: You have to be able to run out an open table, whether there are 4 balls 5 balls or 9 balls left on the table ---- ESPECIALLY when you have BIH.

If you're feeling fearful when you step up to an open table in competition, then you need more practice in running out. Once you can step up to an open table in competition and say to yourself, "Okay. I got this," then you're getting somewhere.

Yes, of course you need to also practice safeties, push outs, banks, kicks, and break shots, but the bread and butter of a rotation game is to be able to run the balls out when the table is open.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mvp...What you're describing is practicing playing...which is far different from "disciplined" practice (drills that help to identify and correct errors and/or ingrain good habits; and help create solid routines). You can practice playing 24/7, but you will not help create or implement a solid, accurate, repeatable routine. This type of disciplined practice is the real key to quick, permanent improvement...not just shooting balls or playing games. Get your stroke right...then you can practice playing the ghost, or whatever you want, as an extension of your practice session.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just playing the ghost all the time gets boring. The last 3 months I've only been hitting them a couple hours every couple of weeks, so the ghost will probably give me a good whipping. I actually have a job now. lol

Bert Kinister has some good drills. When I want to get in stroke for playing rotation, I found his "middle game" was easy to execute to get into stroke and build a little confidence. https://youtu.be/42_-zDA2vHU

I also like to mix it up a little bit moving the balls into different positions on the table. Took the cover off the table to show you how I like to mix it up. I'm not to thrilled on my cue ball control, I might try one more time tonight before calling it quits. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nbEbKoCcPTdCoZH0YNNBE8Z0I8vq7-7Y/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit: That was actually my 4th attempt. I missed the 1 ball 2 times on first 2 attempts and then made it to the 4 ball and collided with another ball. Main reason for missing is the lack of motivation. It's an easy drill, but you still have to put a little effort into it.

Last edited: