Rubbing the cue against your chest while down aiming/stroking

skiergd011013

How many of you have the cue gently pressing against your side/chest area while stroking? (My right nipple area to be specific) I recently video'd myself shooting, and saw that I have a wobbly stroke. Oddly enough, i played pretty good with it, can stroke deep into a water bottle without touching anything etc. I just did a lesson with an instructor, and he noticed that my stroke arm is cocked inward, resulting in the wobble. But it also results in the cue rubbing my side, which i use as a guide to keep it steady. He said the cue should not touch my body, and to make sure my stroke arm is out far enough that it doesnt. I tried it tonight, and i absolutely cannot shoot like that. It feels extremely wobbly and unsteady. I know many people use their chins to accomplish the same thing, but I cant get that low on the stick. It throws my perception off. My head sits a few inches above the cue. So, what i tried is making sure my stroke arm is out more away from my side like the instructor said, and then adjusting my stance, rather than my stroke arm, to make the cue hug my side. That seems to be something i can work on to enable me to use my chest to guide the cue. Does anyone relate to this?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's kind of funny I just was in a huge slump and one of the things that was causing me to hit the CB off center was...my cue touching my side during my stroke.

I moved it out and turned a little more and started hitting the center CB again. I still had a lot of work to do on other things but at least my stroke was straight.

skiergd011013

It's kind of funny I just was in a huge slump and one of the things that was causing me to hit the CB off center was...my cue touching my side during my stroke.

I moved it out and turned a little more and started hitting the center CB again. I still had a lot of work to do on other things but at least my stroke was straight.
ya. Ive always just.....played the game. ive been playing for 18 years on leagues etc and do very well. I have never gotten into examining the stance, stroke etc. I just did what i was comfortable doing. I was horrified when i finally took a video of me playing.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do that on my off hand shooting (LH). It doesn’t seem to bother me too much, although I’m not going to take home any cabbage shooting left handed.

Last edited:

WobblyStroke

How many of you have the cue gently pressing against your side/chest area while stroking? (My right nipple area to be specific) I recently video'd myself shooting, and saw that I have a wobbly stroke. Oddly enough, i played pretty good with it, can stroke deep into a water bottle without touching anything etc. I just did a lesson with an instructor, and he noticed that my stroke arm is cocked inward, resulting in the wobble. But it also results in the cue rubbing my side, which i use as a guide to keep it steady. He said the cue should not touch my body, and to make sure my stroke arm is out far enough that it doesnt. I tried it tonight, and i absolutely cannot shoot like that. It feels extremely wobbly and unsteady. I know many people use their chins to accomplish the same thing, but I cant get that low on the stick. It throws my perception off. My head sits a few inches above the cue. So, what i tried is making sure my stroke arm is out more away from my side like the instructor said, and then adjusting my stance, rather than my stroke arm, to make the cue hug my side. That seems to be something i can work on to enable me to use my chest to guide the cue. Does anyone relate to this?
I was maybe touching like snooker players in my younger days but always remain pretty close. Actually when I gained a buncha covid weight my cue started running into something that wasn't there before and I had to play with a loop bridge all the time to keep my cue from being knocked off my bridge hand in my follow thru lol.

You aren't the only one who absolutely hates the arm away from body and feels disconnected from it. There are ways to maintain the feeling of connection without being strictly connected (meaning actually in contact). Your instructor should be aware of these if he's worth paying a nickel to. If not, find someone who does near you.

This is smth I can guide you through as well over a skype call. Standard lesson fees apply. Double that other guy's seems fair ;)

Last edited:

skiergd011013

I was maybe touching like snooker players in my younger days but always remain pretty close. Actually when I gained a buncha covid weight my cue started running into something that wasn't there before and I had to play with a loop bridge all the time to keep my cue from being knocked off my bridge hand in my follow thru lol.

You aren't the only one who absolutely hates the arm away from body and feels disconnected from it. There are ways to maintain the feeling of connection without being strictly connected (meaning actually in contact). Your instructor should be aware of these if he's worth paying a nickel to. If not, find someone who does near you.

This is smth I can guide you through as well over a skype call. Standard lesson fees apply ;)
i traveled 2.5 hours to this guy. He was definitely smart and knew his stuff, but honestly he was a bit of a dick and i wont be going back. The nearest pool hall to me is 1 hr away.....albany NY. It would be nice to find a really strong player there to work with.

WobblyStroke

i traveled 2.5 hours to this guy. He was definitely smart and knew his stuff, but honestly he was a bit of a dick and i wont be going back. The nearest pool hall to me is 1 hr away.....albany NY. It would be nice to find a really strong player there to work with.
Ye, nothing beats in person, real time guidance. I dunno, maybe he was just waiting for another lesson to spill how to maintain the feeling of connection. A knowledgeable guy should know. It isn';t just a matter of it feels awkward at first but you just gotta do it for a 1000 shots till it starts feeling normal.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting with the cue against the body will most of the time end up badly and with a limit to how well a person can play. You are rotating your cue to fit your stance not the other way around which is what you want to do in order to make the thing go straight. Start with seeing how you need to shoot a straight consistent stroke, then adjust how you stand to accomplish that. If this is your only issue with getting better, it's a small one. I don't think I would want to use anything as a guide for the cue past my bridge hand, the rest of the stoke should just allow the cue to go forward to as much of a flat pendulum as possible to do, it wants to swing straight, don't let your body get in the way to mess it up.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one thing you need to Decide before you take lessons is you will have to change what "feels" comfortable. Your game WILL take a nosedive for a short time. But after a couple of weeks, maybe a month, the new stance/ arm position/ will start to feel natural. You have to persevere.

Make yourself a chunk of clay. The instructor will mold you. He can still do it if you are a stone, but it will take much longer.

skiergd011013

Shooting with the cue against the body will most of the time end up badly and with a limit to how well a person can play. You are rotating your cue to fit your stance not the other way around which is what you want to do in order to make the thing go straight. Start with seeing how you need to shoot a straight consistent stroke, then adjust how you stand to accomplish that. If this is your only issue with getting better, it's a small one. I don't think I would want to use anything as a guide for the cue past my bridge hand, the rest of the stoke should just allow the cue to go forward to as much of a flat pendulum as possible to do, it wants to swing straight, don't let your body get in the way to mess it up.
how is it any different for players that push their chin into the cue?

skiergd011013

The guy in This video, at about 1:20, talks about what I do with the cue. I want to be clear that i am not "pressing" the cue against my side. It just sort of rides/glides it. It eliminates any feeling of wobbles, or loss of control for me. To give you an idea of how minor the contact is, I am not comfortable playing in a hooded sweatshirt. The "thicker" shirt then results in too much contact for me and effects the cue.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want stroke mechanic improvement buy Mark Wilson’s book - play Great Pool and invest in a tripod for your cell phone camera. Read the book chapters on stance and stroke - record and review every practice session for at least 3 hours a week until you fully understand alignment, balance, CLEARANCE ( your issue) and everything else that is hindering your best and most consistently correct pool mechanics. I have been doing this every week for 18 months and can now play 25% better than prior - it works but it requires an open mind, dedication, and resolve - Clearance is a big issue that a lack thereof can hinder a straight stroke forever and you will not be consistent.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could always try the on-line instruction through these guys.
If you want stroke mechanic improvement buy Mark Wilson’s book - play Great Pool and invest in a tripod for your cell phone camera. Read the book chapters on stance and stroke - record and review every practice session for at least 3 hours a week until you fully understand alignment, balance, CLEARANCE ( your issue) and everything else that is hindering your best and most consistently correct pool mechanics. I have been doing this every week for 18 months and can now play 25% better than prior - it works but it requires an open mind, dedication, and resolve - Clearance is a big issue that a lack thereof can hinder a straight stroke forever and you will not be consistent.
Thanks for posting what I was going to post. Don’t get your feelings hurt during instruction either, the instructor is just trying to be as effective as possible about getting the mechanics down, and the quicker you buy in to what he’s trying to do the quicker you improve.

skiergd011013

I do. Popular amongst snooker players
just got a reply from drdavesbilliards
Screenshot_20221227-175830_YouTube.jpg

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You could always try the on-line instruction through these guys.

Thanks for posting what I was going to post. Don’t get your feelings hurt during instruction either, the instructor is just trying to be as effective as possible about getting the mechanics down, and the quicker you buy in to what he’s trying to do the quicker you improve.
Thanks for the shout out Lawnboy!

For those that know me I am far from an expert on fundamentals. I trust Dr. Dave on this subject. Most of what I work on is game play, patterns, cue ball, etc. For sure I am not afraid to smooth some things out but if people are looking for a video recording and authoritative recommendations on fundamentals call the doctor (not that he doesn't cover all topics as well). Thanks and happy new year!