Rules clarification

northshoremb

Registered
Ok just got a table so going to play some 14.1 for the first time and need some rule clarification. Been watching the pros play and some videos on rules but some seem so confusing.

1: What I want to know is on opening break you must call the ball if you want to stay at the table?

2: if playing any shot does a ball need to go down or touch a rail like 8 ball and if you don't is it foul with ball in hand or foul and ball stays where it lies?

3: this one I'm getting mixed rules. If I call a ball and make it but another ball also goes in would I get 2 points or is it a foul??

4: I see the rules are different than 8,9 or 10 ball where instead of just calling the pocket you need to call how it gets in. Like if I'm shooting the 4 straight down in the corner and the 4 clips a ball on the way and still goes in its a foul?? Or if the 4 plays off the rail then in but just called straight in its a foul?

5: like before I asked if a ball not called goes in does it stay down or spot if you pocket a called ball? Watched 2 videos and 1 says a non called ball that goes in is a foul and lose a point then spot. Then another video says if you make the called ball any other ball that goes in is 1 point each

If you can reply with the number of the question you are answer it would help me. Thanks
Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok just got a table so going to play some 14.1 for the first time and need some rule clarification. Been watching the pros play and some videos on rules but some seem so confusing.

1: What I want to know is on opening break you must call the ball if you want to stay at the table?

2: if playing any shot does a ball need to go down or touch a rail like 8 ball and if you don't is it foul with ball in hand or foul and ball stays where it lies?

3: this one I'm getting mixed rules. If I call a ball and make it but another ball also goes in would I get 2 points or is it a foul??

4: I see the rules are different than 8,9 or 10 ball where instead of just calling the pocket you need to call how it gets in. Like if I'm shooting the 4 straight down in the corner and the 4 clips a ball on the way and still goes in its a foul?? Or if the 4 plays off the rail then in but just called straight in its a foul?

5: like before I asked if a ball not called goes in does it stay down or spot if you pocket a called ball? Watched 2 videos and 1 says a non called ball that goes in is a foul and lose a point then spot. Then another video says if you make the called ball any other ball that goes in is 1 point each

Some of your assumptions are incorrect. Please review the WPA rules at this link. https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A ball must be called on every shot if you want to stay at the table. Most people play a traditional safety break and do not call a ball. The rules for a legal break is that two balls plus the must hit a rail otherwise it’s a breaking foul of -2 and is not considered towards a three-foul penalty.

Yes. A “good hit” is required. After the cue contacts an object ball something has to hit a rail otherwise it is a 1 point foul with NO BIH. There is never BIH in Straight Pool. If the cue scratches or jumps off the table it is BIH in the kitchen.

Any balls that fall in addition to the one that is called are additional earned points.

No. All you need to call is ball and pocket. Nothing else.

If the ball called is not legally pocketed, all pockets balls will be spotted. If the ball called is legally pocketed, then all additional balls earn addition points and stay down.

If you can reply with the number of the question you are answer it would help me. Thanks

See above.

Last edited:

northshoremb

Registered
Ok I read the rules but don't see definition of called shot. Do you need to call caroms and banks or just call the ball and pocket?

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What rules are you looking at? The pros play by WPA, which i posted a link for. Many amateurs play by WPA or BCAPL which are almost identical with just a couple exceptions.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1) Yes
2) Ball and a rail, or make a called shot, otherwise it's a foul, cue ball stays in position, for next player.
3) If you make the ball you call, and one or more other balls go in as well, they count as your points and you continue shooting till you either miss, foul, or play safe.
4) Details are NOT needed, call the ball and the pocket only. Kisses, caroms, etc don't matter.
5) If you call a ball, shoot and miss that ball, but make another ball on the same shot, that ball is spotted, end of your inning, No foul.

The rules posted online by WBA and BCA cover all this stuff and more. You should find them and print them out. Especially what happens at the end of the rack when a ball is "In The Rack".

northshoremb

Registered
1) Yes
2) Ball and a rail, or make a called shot, otherwise it's a foul, cue ball stays in position, for next player.
3) If you make the ball you call, and one or more other balls go in as well, they count as your points and you continue shooting till you either miss, foul, or play safe.
4) Details are NOT needed, call the ball and the pocket only. Kisses, caroms, etc don't matter.
5) If you call a ball, shoot and miss that ball, but make another ball on the same shot, that ball is spotted, end of your inning, No foul.

The rules posted online by WBA and BCA cover all this stuff and more. You should find them and print them out. Especially what happens at the end of the rack when a ball is "In The Rack".
Perfect you cleared up all my questions. The reason I asked was I watched 2 videos on the rules and one was saying that any ball going in other than the one you call is a foul and points deducted so thats what confused me. Also same video said you needed to call caroms, combos and banks which also confused me. I play BCA, VNEA, CPA so has always been call the ball and pocket no matter how it gets there

rostym

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Regarding 2), it's ball then rail, not ball and rail. After you hit a ball with the cue ball, either the cue ball or an object ball must hit a rail otherwise it's a foul.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you remember which video you saw this in?
I looked around a little and it may have been this one. He gets a lot of rules wrong. I imagine he has never played the game and is just trying to get income from views. He happened to decide on doing a rules video.

northshoremb

Registered
I looked around a little and it may have been this one. He gets a lot of rules wrong. I imagine he has never played the game and is just trying to get income from views. He happened to decide on doing a rules video.

Yep thats the video

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding 2), it's ball then rail, not ball and rail. After you hit a ball with the cue ball, either the cue ball or an object ball must hit a rail otherwise it's a foul.
thanks for clarifying what everybody already knows

rostym

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Sorry if for some reason that was offensive to you or you think I'm trying to be a "know it all." I realize that most here did not need that clarification. With the questions that northshoremb asked I was under the impression that he might need clarification.