Rules question

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have ball in hand can you use the cue ball to see if there is enough room for a ball to pass between the rail and a ball?

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bca rule

If you have ball in hand can you use the cue ball to see if there is enough room for a ball to pass between the rail and a ball?

g.
You may only use your vision to judge whether the cue ball or an object
ball would fit through a gap, or to judge what ball the cue ball would
contact first. You may not use any ball, cue, rack, or any other equipment
or other part of your body as a width-measuring device. (AR p. 73).

Penalty for (f-g): Foul immediately upon the violation, regardless of
whether a shot is executed

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can't use anything to measure aside from a cue stick that you keep a hold of in your hands (say for lining up an angle), and I don't know if you can use it to measure space on the table, although if you can point the cue stick at areas to line up angles, using it to estimate distance, as long as you don't actually try to stick the cue in the space, should be OK.

I've seen people do this sneakily by acting like they want to place the cueball in the spot if there is a ball near there they can shoot at.

One of my pet peeves is people that play over a C- level but don't know rules like this. Or don't know what a push shot is, or that you can't have a "practice lag", etc...

Last edited:

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the replies and I agree with what you're all saying.

What if between the ball and rail is where you want to put the cue ball, ball in hand means you can put the cue ball anywhere? Ops then i changed my mind i want to place it somewhere else? :eek:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't use anything to measure aside from a cue stick that you keep a hold of in your hands (say for lining up an angle), and I don't know if you can use it to measure space on the table, although if you can point the cue stick at areas to line up angles, using it to estimate distance, as long as you don't actually try to stick the cue in the space, should be OK.

I've seen people do this sneakily by acting like they want to place the cueball in the spot if there is a ball near there they can shoot at.

One of my pet peeves is people that play over a C- level but don't know rules like this. Or don't know what a push shot is, or that you can't have a "practice lag", etc...

Read post 2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the replies and I agree with what you're all saying.

What if between the ball and rail is where you want to put the cue ball, ball in hand means you can put the cue ball anywhere? Ops then i changed my mind i want to place it somewhere else? :eek:

Foul and if I was overseeing the match I would call it if you didn't shoot from there

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Foul and if I was overseeing the match I would call it if you didn't shoot from there

That may be a bit tough to call, a bit like those "no safety" rules 8 ball bar games where you play two way shots to hook the guy if you miss.

If one of the options is to shoot from that spot, you can't really call a foul on someone for what they may have been trying to do. I've placed ball in hand shots before, got down to shoot and something did not feel right till just then before I moved the ball again. It can happen that the cueball position was between the rail and the ball and still be valid. You'd have to see the situation, but if I was the ref I'd have to be 90% sure before I called the foul that the guy was trying to measure.