Rules.....

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prolly the ref wouldn't or couldn't or was prevented from detailing possible foul scenarios. Scenariae?
The line is in between explaining the rule (required if asked) and providing advice (prohibited whether asked or not). If a referee warns a player of a potential foul based on a proposed course of action, it's the same as giving advice, and is therefore not allowed.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The line is in between explaining the rule (required if asked) and providing advice (prohibited whether asked or not). If a referee warns a player of a potential foul based on a proposed course of action, it's the same as giving advice, and is therefore not allowed.
Good enough explain.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, just to know is there a rule concerning a maximum number of cues, example, can we have 4 cues, one for playing, one for break, one for jump and one extra long, I have one 78 inches in carbon without extension, in general rules. Thank You!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m
Probably the best explanation you will get on here. I agree that it is the referee's duty to inform a player if the cue ball is frozen or not. I for one, DO NOT LIKE the relatively new rule that you can shoot directly through a frozen ball. That just opens things up to controversy. Who is to really say a player did or did not "push" the balls? Do you really want an amateur ref making this call? In the old rules you could shoot through the cue ball at an angle to the object ball, thus avoiding the push. Of course by now they've "fixed" the rules so well that there are more controversies than ever before.
I’m with you here. I like the old days where you had to aim away from the ball to avoid the double hit.

Isn’t there a rule now that the cue has to be jacked up over 45 degrees to swing straight through the cue ball?

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, just to know is there a rule concerning a maximum number of cues, example, can we have 4 cues, one for playing, one for break, one for jump and one extra long, I have one 78 inches in carbon without extension, in general rules. Thank You!
In general, there is no rule against the number of cues. There are game exceptions though, such as one pocket (rule 5) which may permit jump shots, but not jump cues.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a subforum for rules discussion (and strategy). There may be some info there.

I have seen a rule that permitted only three cues. Don't remember which rule set.

There are events that permit jump shots only with the normal playing cue.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your answers, I experienced a situation in a tournament this week end, the cueball and an object ball was frozen, I asked to the referee if the balls was really frozen and if I could make a direct push shot, he answered me, play and I will tell you after your shot, I was stunned by this answer, that was in a tournament of federation here in Canada.
Maybe because you asked if you could play “a direct push shot,” which is a commonly misunderstood term in American Pool. Had you asked if you could take a normal stroke, the ref may have answered you. As you asked, I would have said the same thing… I’ll tell you after you shoot whether or not you executed a legal stroke or an illegal push.

There will be confusion.

Edit: and I see through the responses that the confusion is good and healthy. The referee was doing their job.

Last edited:

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe because you asked if you could play “a direct push shot,” which is a commonly misunderstood term in American Pool. Had you asked if you could take a normal stroke, the ref may have answered you. As you asked, I would have said the same thing… I’ll tell you after you shoot whether or not you executed a legal stroke or an illegal push.

There will be confusion.

Edit: and I see through the responses that the confusion is good and healthy. The referee was doing their job.
I'm French Canadian and not perfect in English, what I asked was: Can I shoot directly on the cue ball? I did not used the push shot expression.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm French Canadian and not perfect in English, what I asked was: Can I shoot directly on the cue ball? I did not used the push shot expression.
You literally said that’s what you asked. I’m out of this conversation.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At the 2022 American 14.1 players' meeting, we discuss the frozen/non-frozen cue ball situations in detail.
When that situation arises, the shooter calls the ref to observe prior to shooting.
This avoids any controversy.