Runde cue

kermik0513

Registered
I purchased one of the first 5 cues Bob Runde made. I paid $1500 for it. When I got it it’s warped. Is it still worth what I paid ? Bob said he would make a new shaft for it. But will that bring down the value(not original) ? Butt has a small roll by the joint but Bob doesn’t want to work on the butt. It’s a collector cue and it being 50 yrs old does anyone expect it to be perfect

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a Schon. I’d keep it as original as possible. A new shaft would not detract value, but may make selling it easier if one wanted to play with it.

kermik0513

Registered
Sounds like a Schon. I’d keep it as original as possible. A new shaft would not detract value, but may make selling it easier if one wanted to play with it.
It was made before schon He told me that was one of his first 5 cues he made.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ughh --Bob said he will make you a new shaft? Well if it were me I would be jumping for the chance to have that new shaft and also keep the
original shaft . What's the down side here? Just don't understand where this is hurting the originality of the cue , as long as you have the shaft that came with the cue when he built it. Seems to me the cost of the cue will only climb in value with a new playable shaft and the original shaft accompanying the cue , in case you find a buyer . Are you thinking that if you put a new shaft on the cue , that makes the value of the cue go down? I have a nice older Gus Szam cue that his son built new shafts for me back about the turn of the century and they are still in great shape. I wouldn't even begin to think the value of that great old cue has diminished in any way. I value it so much, I don't take it out anywhere anymore, just play pool on my table and cherish it. I got me into places and out of hard times in so many ways it's a part of me now. 2 cents issued

kermik0513

Registered
Sounds like a Schon. I’d keep it as original as possible. A new shaft would not detract value, but may make selling it easier if one wanted to play with .
Ughh --Bob said he will make you a new shaft? Well if it were me I would be jumping for the chance to have that new shaft and also keep the
original shaft . What's the down side here? Just don't understand where this is hurting the originality of the cue , as long as you have the shaft that came with the cue when he built it. Seems to me the cost of the cue will only climb in value with a new playable shaft and the original shaft accompanying the cue , in case you find a buyer . Are you thinking that if you put a new shaft on the cue , that makes the value of the cue go down? I have a nice older Gus Szam cue that his son built new shafts for me back about the turn of the century and they are still in great shape. I wouldn't even begin to think the value of that great old cue has diminished in any way. I value it so much, I don't take it out anywhere anymore, just play pool on my table and cherish it. I got me into places and out of hard times in so many ways it's a part of me now. 2 cents issued
Ty I guess the real question is because the butt has little roll or warp to it Is it going to still be valuable ? Or it being that old does it not hurt the value as much? I paid $1500 for it thinking it was straight. So I’m trying to decide keep it or send it back.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The value in the cue to you may or may not be 1500. Will it increase in value or decrease in value, who is to say? If I bought a cue that was advertised as straight and had a roll in it, I’d either be requesting a substantial discount or it would go back.

Reactions: bbb

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the seller will accept a return I'd return it if he advertised it as straight.

Rosewood

Pics would be nice. Since one of his first five, I'd like to see it.
Also, my guess is that it was stored improperly.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased one of the first 5 cues Bob Runde made. I paid $1500 for it. When I got it it’s warped. Is it still worth what I paid ? Bob said he would make a new shaft for it. But will that bring down the value(not original) ? Butt has a small roll by the joint but Bob doesn’t want to work on the butt. It’s a collector cue and it being 50 yrs old does anyone expect it to be perfect
These are always harder questions than you might think.
Straight versus History and collectible.
What part of it is actually warped, Forearm or handle?
Did you buy it for collectible reasons or to flip?
If Mr. Runde restores it, that would be a definate plus. It's his Cue!
If someone else were to do it, would it be disclosed.
Handles for example are often changed, cues are restored and refinished.
Who's to know if no one is told.
It's wood and all that goes with it.
To some, as is, is perfect.
To flippers, as is, might mean a lesser turn around profit!
Tough Action, tough decision!
Bushka did a lot of conversions, Gus sold Forearms which were transformed into Cues.
See a Palmer with a Gus Or Burtain Spain Forearm. A clean Titlist??
Chubby's appear!
Hmmmm
Tough Decisions!!!!
Why did YOU buy it?

Last edited:

kermik0513

Registered

Attachments

• 9106C970-A398-49D9-A333-7E2900F0EA74.jpeg
    9106C970-A398-49D9-A333-7E2900F0EA74.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 143

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My old Gus cue has a bit of light under the joint when I roll it , but I have to roll it just right for it too show up. It's not quiet the size of a playing card but it's there. I can still run 100 balls with it when I'm feeling well and will be 70 next month. Just pointing out that there are great cues out there with flaws and if you have one of Mr. Runde's first cues your a lucky so and so. I had a friend that bought one years ago and handed it too me at a tournament back years ago and as soon as I picked it up it was like the right arm of Zeus with the addition of Thor's hammer added in. Kick myself
to this day I didn't step off 2 grand and pick that one up because he sold it and didn't have a clue about what he was in possession off. In my way of thinking Mr. Runde's cues are as good as anyone who ever attempted to build the best cues ever,, they are at the top shelf and when you get a good one, hold on too it. Wood is wood and 50 years and you have a small roll off , is nothing to really sweat. Did you purchase the cue for it's collector value or to play and enjoy. If Mr. Runde has told you he would take the time to look the cue over and build a new shaft,,all I have to say about that is what I've already stated,,your a lucky so and so. Good luck too you in what ever you decide too do.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you like the cue, keep it. Personally the cue is not my aesthetic, and if you are buying the cue to make money on it in the long run, you might want to consider how others may look at the design work.