Running my 1st Major Tournament tomorrow!

txspaderz said:
$20.00 Entry, House Matched Pot. Capped at 128 Players, I have 40 something confirmed w/ payment. More will show, it's the APA Way.

Any tips or suggestions for a TD Newbie? I've worked many tournament in the past, but I've never been in charge. Advice?

Stay calm. Don't be reactive. Stay with your plan.

There are always those who have better ideas and most of the time they have no clue as to what they are talking about.

It is though a people business and if they don't like you, the won't continue to participate.
 
I Hate To Splain em

Originally Posted by Smorgass Bored
Please do not bother the Tournament Director with petty details like this... imo
Doug

Juice said:
No I wanted to play in it. I did not know anything about it. Thanks for your worthless comments!


Justin,
Apparently, you didn't notice the TWO smiley faces :) in my post or what I had added to post #13 two hours earlier than your response.

It was 'sarcastic' HUMOR because the original poster was SO worried about being the TD, that he didn't mention the PERTINENT DETAILS ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT.
Btw, the tournament was for APA Members. You ARE an APA member, aren't you ?
Doug --> :) :) :)
 
Get the little half post it things, it's tape with a florescent piece of paper at the end. Sorry, I can't think of what they are called. Number those and use them to figure out which tables are available.

Staying organized is the key:) .

And I like the flask idea:D .
 
txspaderz said:
Nooo, give me some advice. I'm really nervous. I know how to do it like the back of my hand. I've been a sub TD (for hours only, never for the whole tour), I've been a ref for over 2 years. I'm just nervous / excited / anxieted over it for some reason.

You are already full swing into the tournament, but if you have been a sub TB and a ref for 2 years, you will be fine.

Remember to have fun and be confident.

Also, most of the players will be thinking about their matches and wont really bother you too much, until one of them loses a match poorly and then they'll take it out on you because they'll need an excuse and someone to blame. ;)
 
Thanks everyone! The tournament ran great. We only had 20 something players, but next year it will be bigger and better. This was the 1st annual Halloween tournament for the Houston APA at Papa Earls Tavern, so not many people knew about it. *Even though we sent out flyers in the packets*

The tour ran great. Thanks to Ingen's program everything was done, no manually drawing boards and advancing!

The great thing was everyone had fun and there was no drama!

Woohoo!
 
txspaderz said:
Thanks everyone! The tournament ran great. We only had 20 something players, but next year it will be bigger and better. This was the 1st annual Halloween tournament for the Houston APA at Papa Earls Tavern, so not many people knew about it. *Even though we sent out flyers in the packets*

The tour ran great. Thanks to Ingen's program everything was done, no manually drawing boards and advancing!

The great thing was everyone had fun and there was no drama!

Woohoo!

glad it went well! that means the next ones you will feel even better going into them. :)
 
I commend any one with the ambition to run tourneys. It's a very under appreciated job. We put in long hours if you run a a room and the tourneys sometimes ya go days with out sleep. Ya listen to every gripe imagineable. But In the end it's worth it when you have a big field and everything runs smooth and you have a successfull event for your room or league. I personally do it because I love the game and I like to watch great matches.
BK
 
Smorgass Bored said:
Justin,
Apparently, you didn't notice the TWO smiley faces :) in my post or what I had added to post #13 two hours earlier than your response.

It was 'sarcastic' HUMOR because the original poster was SO worried about being the TD, that he didn't mention the PERTINENT DETAILS ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT.
Btw, the tournament was for APA Members. You ARE an APA member, aren't you ?
Doug --> :) :) :)
Sorry man. I misunderstood you.
 
Melinda said:
Remember to have fun and be confident.

I am so glad someone finally said this! You were obviously doing this because you love pool so enjoying it should be a big part of it as far as I'm concerned.

Glad to hear it went well, should be a big confidence booster for your next event. Rep has been sent!
 
Glad it went good. I enjoy the game so much all the other stuff doesn't matter. I love doing tournaments both amateur and professional. Good luck with your next one.
Kay
 
Back
Top