Running my 1st Major Tournament tomorrow!

txspaderz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$20.00 Entry, House Matched Pot. Capped at 128 Players, I have 40 something confirmed w/ payment. More will show, it's the APA Way.

Any tips or suggestions for a TD Newbie? I've worked many tournament in the past, but I've never been in charge. Advice?
 
cajunbarboxplyr said:
Like he siad.............also you might have better turn out if its not APA rules... jsut my 2 cents
It's open to only APA players. It's our 1st Annual Halloween tournament down here in Houston.
 
Nooo, give me some advice. I'm really nervous. I know how to do it like the back of my hand. I've been a sub TD (for hours only, never for the whole tour), I've been a ref for over 2 years. I'm just nervous / excited / anxieted over it for some reason.
 
txspaderz said:
Nooo, give me some advice. I'm really nervous. I know how to do it like the back of my hand. I've been a sub TD (for hours only, never for the whole tour), I've been a ref for over 2 years. I'm just nervous / excited / anxieted over it for some reason.

Skim part of the calcutta...all TD's do it.;) :D
 
Varney Cues said:
Skim part of the calcutta...all TD's do it.;) :D


haaaahaaaa

Just act confident, like your balls are so big that you need to hire two cats just to help you carry 'em :D :D

either that or get drunk as shit and hide in the bathroom all day :eek:
 
txspaderz said:
$20.00 Entry, House Matched Pot. Capped at 128 Players, I have 40 something confirmed w/ payment. More will show, it's the APA Way.

Any tips or suggestions for a TD Newbie? I've worked many tournament in the past, but I've never been in charge. Advice?


Here's my sugestion:

Run the tourney, don't let the tourney run you.

Say what you mean, not what you ment!

Make sure everyone hears the rules! It's your pond, they are the fish.

Enforce the rules... including time between shots.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from players who know the rules to be impartial.

Follow through with the reward.

Stay true.
 
just relax man...being nervous is great, it shows the tourney means something to you. Everyone IS NOT waiting for you to screw up...they are there for a great tourney, and to play some pool.

also...no one knows this is your first try at TD....just go in thinking your Jay, or Scott....and fake your way through it.

Gerry
 
txspaderz said:
$20.00 Entry, House Matched Pot. Capped at 128 Players, I have 40 something confirmed w/ payment. More will show, it's the APA Way.

Any tips or suggestions for a TD Newbie? I've worked many tournament in the past, but I've never been in charge. Advice?

Have a players meeting beforehand and emphasize the distinctive rules to this tournament, like cueball fouls. Ask the players if they have any questions before you begin. Know the rules inside and out, so that you can provide answers. Emphasize that there will be only so many breaks allowed during matches, and that players MUST show up at the designated times and/or when their names are called, or else they face forfeit. BE FIRM ABOUT THIS. Maybe you would want to consider a 5-minute grace period. DO NOT SHOW FAVORITISM TO ANY PLAYER, even if it is your best friend.

Have the chart in full view for all to see. Do the draw in the open. Insist that all players are treated equally. No allowances should be made for late arrivals, even if it's your best friend.

Don't get bullied when players whine and moan. I'm not sure of your venue, but be firm about the rules. Don't allow the players to argue over the racking process or questionable fouls. A player MUST call the referee or you over to witness a questionable hit. Otherwise, the call will always go with the shooter. If racking problems happen, have someone on hand to rack all the balls for that match, and do not allow the players to question those racks when this happens.

And most importantly, get plenty of sleep before this tournament. You're going to need an extra shot of patience. Tournaments are fun, so enjoy!

JAM
 
txspaderz said:
Nooo, give me some advice. I'm really nervous. I know how to do it like the back of my hand. I've been a sub TD (for hours only, never for the whole tour), I've been a ref for over 2 years. I'm just nervous / excited / anxieted over it for some reason.

Its harder than most think for your first one but be confident, make sure everyone knows the rules. Once a call is made never change your call....even if they try to explain physics to you. And remember its not personal. No matter what they say to you bad its not really personal. Tensions sometimes run high and people get upset. Take the good remarks heart and learn as you go. You'll be fine.
Kay
Kings Bay Promotions
Amateur Billiard Tour
 
When All Else Fails..... Begin To Drink & Cry

The biggest problem that I encountered over the years, were players that were absent when their matches were called. They'd be in the gameroom, outside in their car or left the premises to go get something to eat,etc.

I finally made announcements at the player's meeting that I would NOT (and I emphasized NOT) go searching the bathrooms, parking lots, surrounding restaurants,etc. looking for them and if they didn't show up within 5 minutes of their call, then they would go 'on the clock' and face loss of games (after another 10 min.) and eventually their match.

It's important to stress NO cellphones during their match (enforce a Penalty) and no whining, sharking or yapping with railbirds while their opponent is at the table. Players will test you and try to get away with whatever you allow them to.

As others have said, make your call and stick with it and "You run the tournament, don't let IT run you". Try to enjoy it, I've seen it turn very stressful for some TD. Twenty players, will have twenty opinions on how THEY think you should run the tournament and what the rules should be. :)

Doug


Edited to add: Be sure to list your current and upcoming tournament information in the "Tournament Announcements Forum" here at AZB.... :) :) :)




.
 
Last edited:
Another suggestion is to try to do something about slow play, if it happens. This can ruin a tournament.

If there is a player that takes five minutes to shoot each shot, a TD needs to step in and institute a shot clock for the slow player.

I have seen MANY a tournament ruined because the slow players hold up the charts. Then the remaining players have to wait hours before their matches because the tournament cannot progress, due to the slow players.

Slow play sucks! JMHO, FWIW!

JAM
 
TDing

If timeouts are allowed, make sure you state the time limit for them, and who can coach. Leagues have rules limiting timeouts to 2 minutes max, not 10 or 15 with 4 different coaches along the way.

Do you have anyone refereeing besides you?

Make sure railbirds know they have to keep quiet and behave or they will be removed from the playing area.
 
Next, You'll Want To Know What Length The Races Are

Juice said:
Where and what time does the tournament start?



Please do not bother the Tournament Director with petty details like this... imo
Doug
:)
 
the man

txspaderz said:
$20.00 Entry, House Matched Pot. Capped at 128 Players, I have 40 something confirmed w/ payment. More will show, it's the APA Way.

Any tips or suggestions for a TD Newbie? I've worked many tournament in the past, but I've never been in charge. Advice?
If you know the rules!! just run it with attidude that you are in charge-- dont let the players try to run it as you lose controle of it!! set you ground rules and stick to them!!{ YOU ARE THE MAN} :D :D :D :D
 
Ha! I guess you are at work already, but I do see that othhers have already given you the advice I was going to impart...

Get drunk! It always leaves folks with some good stories about your event!:o :eek: :o
 
Smorgass Bored said:
Please do not bother the Tournament Director with petty details like this... imo
Doug
:)
No I wanted to play in it. I did not know anything about it. Thanks for your worthless comments!
 
Back
Top