Safe Break or Let Him Go For It ?

Safe Break Or Go For It ?

• Total voters

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
League playoffs. 8 Ball.

BCA format. You play everyone one game.

Team captains make out their own lineups, then trade information.

You're playing a veteran team. And based on past matches, your captain guesses (correctly) who your opponents will put in the last game.

Tonight, you have been put in the 'anchor' position for your own team. Your team has put you there with the intention that if $h!t goes sideways, and they need a win at the end of the night, that you are the guy they want to be playing that important game.

And after a few ups and downs throughout the night, you are playing the 25th and final game of the night.

You are playing their anchor, someone who is considered the top player in the league by most. This kid also plays in a great deal of tournaments, and cashes regularly. His name is usually the first name thrown out when someone asks, "Who's the best player in the league ?"

You need to make three balls to advance to the next round.

And it's YOUR break.

Knowing the caliber of the guy you are playing...

- Do you safety break him, turning the table over to him, and give him the possibility of running out ? Do you safety break, and hope he screws up and gives you a shot to make at least three balls, instead of leaving you with 7 balls on the table (and not making the three you needed) ?

Or...

- Do you break the balls wide open, planning (hoping ?) that something will go in, and give yourself a chance to make two more to seal the deal and advance to the next round ? Do you go 'balls out', play to win (or in this case, make three balls), and never give the top player in the league a chance to get to the table ?

You're the anchor. It all hinges on you...

What do you do ???

Last edited:

superflychief

Registered
I'd say it depends on how you've been breaking the rest of the night. If you're regularly sinking balls and keeping whitey on the table then I say go for it. If you're only sinking a ball off the break or scratching some 50% of the time, then I'd play a soft break and leave a mess for him to deal with. Just make sure it's a legal break if you're league has that. Tough call though.

Banks

Banned
You need to make three balls to advance to the next round.

And it's YOUR break.

- Do you break the balls wide open, planning (hoping ?) that something will go in, and give yourself a chance to make two more to seal the deal and advance to the next round ? Do you go 'balls out', play to win (or in this case, make three balls), and never give the top player in the league a chance to get to the table ?

You're not pinning your hopes on a run-out, only on getting 3 balls. Pull your pants up and break em. Aiming for 3 balls, I'd say this is a better bet than trying to get into a defensive battle with the best player in the league. You don't want him getting to the table.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd second ball break at medium speed...

In my experience second ball breaking gives a good chance of making a ball or two, but at the same time often leaves difficult tables to run out. And if you hit this break poorly it definitely leaves messy clusters.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Never EVER play the game scared. If you lose, do it by going for it all.

Knock hell outta them balls and send the guy packing, for crying out loud!!!

If you fail at either scenario, you would feel better in the end knowing you went for it with gusto, not feebly.

Maniac

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I concur

I'd second ball break at medium speed...

In my experience second ball breaking gives a good chance of making a ball or two, but at the same time often leaves difficult tables to run out. And if you hit this break poorly it definitely leaves messy clusters.

My strategy as well.:thumbup:

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
What is playing scared?

Breaking soft gives you the highest chance of getting the 3 balls you need to win. Make a legal break, and go back and fourth, and don't as much as you want to go for that "easy" breakout shot you see because you will rattle it.

I'd rather break safe and stand with the winners trophy and money, then have someone say at least you didn't go out scared.

Never EVER play the game scared. If you lose, do it by going for it all.

Knock hell outta them balls and send the guy packing, for crying out loud!!!

If you fail at either scenario, you would feel better in the end knowing you went for it with gusto, not feebly.

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
What is playing scared?

Breaking soft gives you the highest chance of getting the 3 balls you need to win. Make a legal break, and go back and fourth, and don't as much as you want to go for that "easy" breakout shot you see because you will rattle it.

I'd rather break safe and stand with the winners trophy and money, then have someone say at least you didn't go out scared.

There are never any guarantees that things will go your way on any given 8-ball break, whether you're smashing them or playing a "safety" break.

At hill-hill, I'm going to smash them everytime. I got more balls than brains:eek::D:D.

Maniac

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing safe on a break is for straight pool and one pocket.

Why even give your opponent a chance to run out in the other games.

I never heard of making just 3 balls to win at 8 ball. I don't play in that league.

Last edited:

magix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you are playing singles then do whatever you feel like doing.however your on a team and I think its a team decision.if left up to you 2nd ball break sounds like a good idea.last thing you need is for your ego to get in the way.jmo

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Mickey,

Face this many times in our Monday night BCAPL league. Points given out based on rounds won. Max five, minimum zero. Our league does not play cut throat. Comes to me as the last player in the round (when home team). If getting three balls means we win the round, I'll break half speed and force my competitor to run out on me.

According to the league stat's, I'm the other guy you described. Top win percentage. Top 8 ball runs. Nowhere near the top of the consecutive wins list though. A couple team mates and other league players out pace me in that category. Like to think it is my job to win rounds when ever possible.

Guess you might call me a team player. What ever that means!

Lyn

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
if you are playing singles then do whatever you feel like doing.however your on a team and I think its a team decision.if left up to you 2nd ball break sounds like a good idea.last thing you need is for your ego to get in the way.jmo

You're gonna let your TEAM tell you how to break your rack???

Wow.

Maniac (maybe they'll tell you what pattern to shoot too ;))

magix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mickey,

Face this many times in our Monday night BCAPL league. Points given out based on rounds won. Max five, minimum zero. Our league does not play cut throat. Comes to me as the last player in the round (when home team). If getting three balls means we win the round, I'll break half speed and force my competitor to run out on me.

According to the league stat's, I'm the other guy you described. Top win percentage. Top 8 ball runs. Nowhere near the top of the consecutive wins list though. A couple team mates and other league players out pace me in that category. Like to think it is my job to win rounds when ever possible.

Guess you might call me a team player. What ever that means!

Lyn

hey lyn,dago you can play on my team anytime

magix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're gonna let your TEAM tell you how to break your rack???

Wow.

Maniac (maybe they'll tell you what pattern to shoot too ;))

well that's the diference between you and me.you think its your rack I think its the teams rack.if you play by yourself its your rack.jmo

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
What kind bet can I get on trying 10, 20, 50 racks with the above rules of me needing 3 and I soft break?

There are never any guarantees that things will go your way on any given 8-ball break, whether you're smashing them or playing a "safety" break.

At hill-hill, I'm going to smash them everytime. I got more balls than brains:eek::D:D.

Maniac

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
For me, I guess I like my odds that I can make at least one ball (or two) on the break and be able to make two (or one) more after that.

Heck, once I make the second ball, the table just got a lot easier. All the balls stay down on fouls, so now it's like playing straight pool. I can play/carom/bank one of his balls into one of mine to sink it if I don't have a clear shot at any of mine.

Sure, he gets ball in hand, but at that point I've made my three balls.

Match is over.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
well that's the diference between you and me.you think its your rack I think its the teams rack.if you play by yourself its your rack.jmo

And you, mine!

Hope to see you in Vegas. Be there in a couple of weeks for the APA. In May for the ACS and July for the BCA's. Unfortunately no team events. Maybe next year.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
For me, I guess I like my odds that I can make at least one ball (or two) on the break and be able to make two (or one) more after that.

Heck, once I make the second ball, the table just got a lot easier. All the balls stay down on fouls, so now it's like playing straight pool. I can play/carom/bank one of his balls into one of mine to sink it if I don't have a clear shot at any of mine.

Sure, he gets ball in hand, but at that point I've made my three balls.

Match is over.

Mickey,

Problem is if you don't make a couple of like balls on the break. Can assure you if you give me an open rack, you will lose 90% of the time. Without your three balls. Accidents do happen so you do have a chance.

Like the idea of fouling to make the last needed ball. Won a trip to Vegas years ago with that shot. My opponent was thrilled to see me foul. Didn't understand the ramifications till other players started to congratulate me. Only then did it sink in. All balls stay down. Even illegally made ones.

Lyn