Samsara Precision Ground Shafts and Dominiak HG shafts

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Hi.

Has anybody tried the Samsara precision ground shafts? How good are they?
Also, has anybody tried the Dominiak HG shafts?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of getting a high quality maple shaft for my joss to see if I can decide whether playing with an OB-1 or a standard maple shaft.

Thanks.

Last edited:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have both...

the dominiak HG was some of the best wood i've seen. perfectly straight grain, ultra high grain count. mine was like 25+ rings. however, they only guarantee 12+ i think and i'm sure there is some variation in the shafts, so YMMV. i did not like the taper (too conical) or the ferrule (very pingy) though.

the samsara shaft i got as part of their bar cue. straight grained, but nowhere near the ring count of the HG. other than that, it has a pretty standard pro taper and ferrule. plays solid.

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Thanks. I don't have anything Samsara... but I do have a Dominiak with a normal (not HG) shaft. It is nice and plays good but I am not sure if it is the ferrule or the tip (Kamui II MS) but I agree it sounds "tick", almost like a plasticky sound that drives me nuts. I did request a long pro taper for that shaft and they did comply... maybe they offer that option for the HG as well.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's not the tip, i tried a bunch and while it did help some, it didn't go away completely. LBM ferrules are pingy and i think it's worse when it is a thru ferrule like the dominiak. i have some shafts with capped LBM and it doesn't hit nearly as hard. i replaced my dominiak HG ferrule with a juma ferrule and it is great. i also had mine retapered to a more gentle pro taper.

i've heard many good things about samsara and i was very pleased with the bar cue

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
I'd be interested to know what the collar diameters are for the vaious joints available for the Samsara shafts

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm sure they can make the joint diameter whatever you want. for their standard uniloc quick release and radial, it is the standard 0.842"