Sandbagger!

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may seem like sour grapes, But I digress, This is the 2nd time I lost 2 games to 1. I lost the 1st match, won the 2nd, lost the 3rd.....match over! In APA, the players are given a number, the higher the number the better you are percieved to be.....( I agree ).
However in the league I am in, the players are given a higher number (regarding how many balls one should make in a match), I played 2 35's which in reality , should be push overs. They were no where close, masse's, draw shots, frigging kick shots......... Their way of handicapping sucks, plain and simple..........It needs to be addressed.
That being said, ( I had to get it off my chest). I shot a good game tonight......I'll take it and pity the fool I see next week.
rant over.:sorry:

Are you a SL3 or SL4. With all due respect how can you say somebody is sandbagging when your skill level is so low?

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I quit playing APA because they force good players to sandbag just to get under the 23 point cap. I play nothing but NAPA right now and love it and my team. I am going to start in a BCA league soon, but APA can kiss my lower end.....

You (and me) will probably get criticized by a few APA league operators, but some people are not able to handle criticism and some are. I wish you luck in your league and hope overall you have fun and improve your game. That is my goal with any leauge.

Last edited:

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rocket, I have seen a number of strange things happen in the USAPL scoring system in the short run but after getting 5-6 matches under your belt the scoring certainly has seemed fair to me. There are other factors that affect your average; misses in a match, Break and runs, skunking your opponent (WinZip) in a game, opponent runs out after your break, etc. All aimed at a more equitable way of assessing skill. BTW - a win is 14 points not 7. Just for curiosity sake, what is your level? Where do you play? Ayer?? Which night?

Oh, is the system perfect? No, but it is an attempt to make it fairer.

Al
I was a strong 4 in APA, That was in the mid 90's, switched to golf , now I'm back in the game after watching ''The color of money'' and finding a hundred dollar Saunier-wilhem table.....no lie.
I'm in central Conn. little less snow here.:thumbup:

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you a SL3 or SL4. With all due respect how can you say somebody is sandbagging when your skill level is so low?

Well, it's easy.I need to score 50 points and my opposition needs to shoot 35, he isn't lucky and shows the same amount of skill that I am proud to possess. What would you call it?! sorry, thats' sandbagging.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's easy.I need to score 50 points and my opposition needs to shoot 35, he isn't lucky and shows the same amount of skill that I am proud to possess. What would you call it?! sorry, thats' sandbagging.

I beat a SL6 4-0 last week and I am not a sandbagger.

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just a side note, I've heard the term sandbagging more on the golf course than anyother place. not that means anything...:eek:

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beat a SL6 4-0 last week and I am not a sandbagger.

I was called a 7 killer in the APA league way back in the 90's.....maybe I'm way off here.I will have an established rating/handicap in a few weeks......if they give me a 35 , I'll ask to close the thread.....fair enough?

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing 8ball or 9ball? I assumed it was 8ball because you said you played 3 games. I don't understand the whole 35 vs 50. So if I came across rude I apologize. I just get sick of hearing people call others sandbaggers because they played a good game. I was at Tri Cup last weekend and overheard some guys saying a SL3 shouldn't have been making bank shots. It was just stupid. Anybody can make a bank shot. Maybe they practiced the shot leading up to the tourny. Who knows. My point is that just because somebody has a strong match or play above their handicap doesn't automatically make them a sandbagger.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was called a 7 killer in the APA league way back in the 90's.....maybe I'm way off here.I will have an established rating/handicap in a few weeks......if they give me a 35 , I'll ask to close the thread.....fair enough?

Do you think the SL7's you beat thought you were a sandbagger? :wink:

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you playing 8ball or 9ball? I assumed it was 8ball because you said you played 3 games. I don't understand the whole 35 vs 50. So if I came across rude I apologize. I just get sick of hearing people call others sandbaggers because they played a good game. I was at Tri Cup last weekend and overheard some guys saying a SL3 shouldn't have been making bank shots. It was just stupid. Anybody can make a bank shot. Maybe they practiced the shot leading up to the tourny. Who knows. My point is that just because somebody has a strong match or play above their handicap doesn't automatically make them a sandbagger.

the same guy smoked, arguably, better players on my team in the past so I was told before the match last night.....hence the thread.....it's all good man.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just noticed you're in N.E. where do you play? I know people in just about every room that can roughly rank you in 10 minutes as well as whoever you played against. Far as I know Roy Pastor runs the USAPL in the whole N.E. area with some other LOs, he's usually in Ayer but I know he travels to all the areas. Any issues with wrong rankings or sandbagging just let him know. He does not give a damn if he loses one or a few players that don't belong in the league anyway. I only ran across one, maybe two players in the USAPL in my area that I would consider shady.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
<SNIP>

...after a good nights sleep I realized had I sunk all the balls in my match maybe my opponent would be the author instead of me?

Now that's one of the best comments I've ever seen in a thread about sandbagging.

If a person never plays above their average level they are just not trying to improve... a few games played much better than their normal need not be sandbagging, maybe they just recently 'got it' in some area of aiming, stroke, or position play.

For me, all this griping about sandbagging is sour grapes. Of course, the last league I was able to play in was in Arlington, TX in the early 80s and no one had ever heard of a handicap league, it was BCA all the way.

Now, in my retirement years, I only wish I had a league, any league, within fifty miles of my home, sandbagging or not.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit playing APA because they force good players to sandbag just to get under the 23 point cap. I play nothing but NAPA right now and love it and my team. I am going to start in a BCA league soon, but APA can kiss my lower end.....

You (and me) will probably get criticized by a few APA league operators, but some people are not able to handle criticism and some are. I wish you luck in your league and hope overall you have fun and improve your game. That is my goal with any leauge.

i recall a thread where you admitted you are a sand bagger. :grin-square:

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember that 23 total ........a team captain could not have 3 7's or 6's for that matter and expect to play all three at a match without staying under the 23 mark.:frown:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my experiences it seems sandbagging (as many call it) tends to be more of an issue in APA (non-master division) leagues. Their system is flawed. I haven't experienced bagging issues in BCA or NAPA yet.

my experience is opposite of yours.

i agree the apa system is not perfect but their system does attempt to curb sand bagging. i do see in my area where people complain occasionally but it seems they never fill out handicap review sheets which are available in your score sheet packet. if your lo does not provide them in your packet ask him for one and fill it out....if you have a reasonable suspicion of some one. what can the lo do if sheets are never filled out or safties are never marked on score sheets. classic case of every one complaining but no one doing any thing about it.

when i played bcapl there was pretty flagrant sand bagging going on. pretty amazing when guys put up 3 break and runs ...then take 10 innings for their next 2 matches to lose only getting 5 or 6 points. they will score 35-36 points while holding their opponents to 18 points and still maintain a 7 handicap. pretty easy to do in a system that does not keep track of innings or safties.

in napa there is no reason to sand bag with no team handicap limit...unless you think it benefits you personally. even so i have been accused of sand bagging in this league and even had a few complain to the lo.

its just a fact of life that when some one loses they blame every one except their self. they always blame the other person...the table...their tip...the chalk..etc etc etc.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my experience is opposite of yours.

i agree the apa system is not perfect but their system does attempt to curb sand bagging. i do see in my area where people complain occasionally but it seems they never fill out handicap review sheets which are available in your score sheet packet. if your lo does not provide them in your packet ask him for one and fill it out....if you have a reasonable suspicion of some one. what can the lo do if sheets are never filled out or safties are never marked on score sheets. classic case of every one complaining but no one doing any thing about it.

when i played bcapl there was pretty flagrant sand bagging going on. pretty amazing when guys put up 3 break and runs ...then take 10 innings for their next 2 matches to lose only getting 5 or 6 points. they will score 35-36 points while holding their opponents to 18 points and still maintain a 7 handicap. pretty easy to do in a system that does not keep track of innings or safties.

in napa there is no reason to sand bag with no team handicap limit...unless you think it benefits you personally. even so i have been accused of sand bagging in this league and even had a few complain to the lo.

its just a fact of life that when some one loses they blame every one except their self. they always blame the other person...the table...their tip...the chalk..etc etc etc.

It's always the cues fault dont you know? :grin:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always the cues fault dont you know? :grin:

forgot about that one.:embarrassed2:

well if i ever suspect its my cues fault i can always got to the wfs section. they have a shit load of cues that hit a ton or the best playing cue that seller has ever owned. :grin-square:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
sandbagging

Quite honestly, it sounds as if you have more of a crooked LO problem than a sandbagging problem. Again, I will never argue there aren't sandbaggers but what you've laid out above is an LO refusing to move a player up when clearly (clearly to you all anyway) he/she was better than a 5 and the LO has the ability to adjust his handicap. Then, in your teams case, the LO used his ability to move your 3 to a 5 after two losses. So, he either perceived your 3 as sandbagging or has a problem you/your team.

I believe the APA can work assuming:
1. An LO on the up and up. If they play favorites or punish people they don't like it can never work.
2. People keeping accurate score. Unless the LO is given all the information possible to "see" what you're actually seeing they can't be expected to make informed decisions about people who are sandbagging.

PS. This isn't directed at you as you're clearly a seasoned player, but more of a generality.

My two stories involved two different LOs and they were both very good players, so they new all about sandbagging. Regarding my player who was raised from a 3 to a five,- why would he be sandbagging while losing three consecutive critical matches in our last three matches to win the trip to the Nationals? The rumor at the venue was that the OP had a connection with the team we lost to in the finals and thus might have had a reason to prevent me from playing in that match. I can't verify that.

I could have given many examples of actual sandbagging. I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen an APA player run two or three racks and then when they have a big lead and need just a ball to win the match, mysteriously miss four or five very easy shots in a row. Or hear a team captain say to a player, "We can't lose the match - , you need to lose a few games". As I'm sure you know, a smart player can easily disguise sandbagging as well.

I was made a 7 in eight-ball and an 8 in 9-ball after one match, because of my reputation. I had no problem with that. But I played more than a few 5s in 8-ball and 9-ball that I would not have gambled with. I could not look at this in any other way than successful sandbagging by those "5s", particularly when the system profits from moving players up. Also, remember that sandbaggers don't just do it to keep their averages down, but to raise the averages of their opponents.

Most players don't sandbag because of personal ethics. Even some of these change their approach when they see others sandbagging. I've talked to a number of road players who entered APA with a plan to sandbag their way to the nationals.

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I stand corrected, It seems I will be eating a little crow tonight. I was handicapped with a 30, which means I win 2 games and win the match......against anyone; it seems, which will put me smack dab into the sandbagger realm........I will do my best and hope my handicap gets up there a bit to save face.:sorry: