Sanitizing your Cue - Is Alcohol enough no immune system

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again a equipment thread. I apologize for the bother ahead of time but have a question that is serious to me. I found out last year that I had Colon Cancer. Something you hate to hear especially at 42. But after Surgery and Chemo treatments my Immune system is not up to par. When we play at a Friends house or a pool room I immediately clean my cues when I get home just to be on the safe side. This virus makes me paranoid to a extreme with not having a immune system like it should be. I thought about wiping them down Clorox wipes then thought that maybe not the best idea as it could affect the finish. So I usually use a paper towel that is cloth like and 91 percent alcohol. Clean the shaft and butt let dry then burnish the shaft. Is that good enough or is there a better method. This virus makes me wonder as people can carry it and show no symptoms. So that is why I want to clean or disinfect my cues so to speak. If I go to a Friends house and know they wash their hands and is clean then I don’t worry about it. But at the pool hall with 50-60 people you never know. Again Sorry for the lame thread just don’t want to damage my older cues. Thanks

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but cleaning your cue is bordering on ridiculous, as a preventative measure.

You are handling chalk, cloth, table,balls...if your health is honestly at risk, I'd suggest you stop socializing until you are vaccinated and your Dr says you have no more covid concern than normal.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is true but to be Honest I am not to keen on the vaccine yet. It seems the 1st one is trial and error. I may try the 2nd one to see if all the bugs are out. I don’t get out to much. Just once and a while. Takes my mind of the problems for a while. Pool takes me back to when I was younger. That is ridiculous to try to sanitize a cue but thought maybe the Alcohol would be good enough as I am bringing the Cue home to minimize the virus issues.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is true but to be Honest I am not to keen on the vaccine yet. It seems the 1st one is trial and error. I may try the 2nd one to see if all the bugs are out. I don’t get out to much. Just once and a while. Takes my mind of the problems for a while. Pool takes me back to when I was younger. That is ridiculous to try to sanitize a cue but thought maybe the Alcohol would be good enough as I am bringing the Cue home to minimize the virus issues.
I hear ya. Gotta balance exposure reduction with mental health.

Imo, sanitizing the cue is as effective as rolling up a window on your convertible to stop the rain from getting you wet.

What, you don't have a convertible? Oh, yes you do...now. take a look out front.

You get a car...and you get a car.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This virus makes me paranoid to a extreme with not having a immune system like it should be.
Uh-huh.

I'm very high risk. I have lung damage from lung cancer a few years ago, and had a heart attack in 2019. I don't wipe my cues down with alcohol to reduce my risk, I STAY THE F*** AT HOME! I've probably been in 4 buildings other than my house since the start of 2020.

You're just playing russian roulette in my opinion. Good luck!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless those people you are with are using or licking your cue for good luck you are in 0 extra danger from it.

You also need some time for the cleaning product to sit for full effect so basically you would need to dunk it in alcohol for a bit.
You should find out from a doctor (or at least a site like WebMD) what will kill what buggies not from a pool forum.

Read the Lysol directions for an example.

Spray 3 to 4 seconds until covered with mist.
  1. To disinfect: Surfaces must remain wet for 3 minutes then allow to air dry.
  2. To sanitize: Surfaces must remain wet for 10 seconds then allow to air dry.
  3. To control and prevent mold and mildew: Apply to pre-cleaned surface. ...
  4. To deodorize:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wiping your cue with at least 60% alcohol for 30 seconds destroys the fat layer around the virus rendering it ineffective.

Im currently averaging 3 days a week in the pool hall. I wear a mask and wash my hands only after relieving myself. I travel on the airlines once a week for a year now. I eat out at restaurants three days a week because of work. I do what I can to stay safe but I’m not hiding in a basement.

I believe the best preventive measure for me is, I take at least 5000 units of D3 with K2 and recently added Zinc and a “B” complex. My last blood work showed my “D” level was at 31, it should be above 50 so I’ve bumped up my D3 to 10,000 units every other day.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a geezer who's walked away from two heart attacks and some other issues. If it's your cue, why worry? Bring your own chalk, it's the balls and cloth you touch. But other later reports say its not really surface contact that's the problem. It's all about the air. Now how do you avoid that? That's why table sales and repairs are up. Put one in your basement.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again a equipment thread. I apologize for the bother ahead of time but have a question that is serious to me. I found out last year that I had Colon Cancer. Something you hate to hear especially at 42. But after Surgery and Chemo treatments my Immune system is not up to par. When we play at a Friends house or a pool room I immediately clean my cues when I get home just to be on the safe side. This virus makes me paranoid to a extreme with not having a immune system like it should be. I thought about wiping them down Clorox wipes then thought that maybe not the best idea as it could affect the finish. So I usually use a paper towel that is cloth like and 91 percent alcohol. Clean the shaft and butt let dry then burnish the shaft. Is that good enough or is there a better method. This virus makes me wonder as people can carry it and show no symptoms. So that is why I want to clean or disinfect my cues so to speak. If I go to a Friends house and know they wash their hands and is clean then I don’t worry about it. But at the pool hall with 50-60 people you never know. Again Sorry for the lame thread just don’t want to damage my older cues. Thanks
You go to a pool room with 50 to 60 people and you’re worried about sanitizing your cue, which no one touches but yourself? This doesn’t make much sense to me.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
What you need are Cue Rubbers!! Judging from the number of Chinese cues you own I'd say Small would be the best size to order.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Being in close indoor proximity with your friends is a much bigger issue.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You go to a pool room with 50 to 60 people and you’re worried about sanitizing your cue, which no one touches but yourself? This doesn’t make much sense to me.
He might be worrying about bringing the cue home and the bug being on the cue, so, he wants to sanitize it.

IMO, I echo what others have said, recommending you curtail being with the public. I have several stories of someone's relative 'slipping up' 'just one time' and now, that loved one is dead.

Maybe you could buy Virtual Pool 4 and get your fix with the app?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got everybody. Silly question I know. What I meant to say was that I play out every once and a while. I usually clean my cue when I get back and I usually just wipe it down with a cloth like paper towel with Alcohol and the thought I had read that Alcohol over 70 percent kills viruses. So that would be enough in case I had interacted with someone who is carrying the virus but shows no symptoms.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got everybody. Silly question I know. What I meant to say was that I play out every once and a while. I usually clean my cue when I get back and I usually just wipe it down with a cloth like paper towel with Alcohol and the thought I had read that Alcohol over 70 percent kills viruses. So that would be enough in case I had interacted with someone who is carrying the virus but shows no symptoms.
Your interaction with someone carrying the virus is way more likely to be spread through the air than than through your cue. If you’re serious about staying safe from covid, I would avoid a crowded poolroom.

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your interaction with someone carrying the virus is way more likely to be spread through the air than than through your cue.
Gotcha. Your are probably right. Just with Touching chalk , Racks , pool balls etc I thought how easy it would be to to transfer it to your Cue as you are always picking your Cue back up for the next match. Thinking to much about it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're that concerned stay home. I couldn't make a ball thinking about all that crap. If my immune system was compromised as your's might be i wouldn't put one foot in a bar/tavern/poolroom.

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could invest in a handheld UV light. If you have a choice I would use a cue with out a linen wrap. Still think you are more likely to get covid thrrough airborn particles entering your eyes ears nose or mouth but everything you can do to be cautious helps at least mentally for some.