Santa Monica House of Billiards being sold?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that the sale fell through and that it is now reopened. I haven’t checked it out in person yet though

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The land value is worth far more than its value as a poolroom. The building has been family owned for decades, worth millions to developers.
So, by this logic*, any area that sees housing prices super-inflate will lose all pool rooms !?!

(*) and I see nothing wrong with it, BTW

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I know if I personally had $100.00 for every Pool Room, Pool Bar, or Sport Bar that had Pool tables that close in Maricopa County Arizona the last 10 years, I would have enough money to go on a nice first class vacation to Miami, Florida for a week.

Most of the places that closed, have not been reopened, or replaced with new place to play pool. I see nothing on the horizon that's look like a sunny future for pool in Valley of the Sun.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that the sale fell through and that it is now reopened. I haven’t checked it out in person yet though
my home room. it is indeed reopened at half capacity for now. the owner gary can't really sell it because there is an issue with the soil that the building is on, is what I'm told

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my home room. it is indeed reopened at half capacity for now. the owner gary can't really sell it because there is an issue with the soil that the building is on, is what I'm told
sucks for him.

Some type of environmental issue?

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott our 1st lesson was there. Way back then you were driving the Lincoln with the "RackEm" license plates. I had always thought it was a great room, especially with all of the 1 Hole players. Plus a liquor license. One Pocket Richie and Wayne Pullen. I only know of 2 rooms open for sure in all of L.A. County. Mr. Lucky's in Lawndale (correct Jay?) and Family Billiards in Lakewood/Long Beach area which is now call "Good Times" and where several players from the old venerable Hard Times now hang out. Much, much smaller room. Less than a handful of rooms for over 10 million people. Jay is much more optimistic about pool rooms reappearing than I am. The square footage value of the old Hard Times would now be between 8 to 15 million dollars. When I moved from Belmont Shore in Long Beach to Murrieta the approx cost of property in the Shore was $850 t0 1100 per square foot and prices and equity just keep escalating. Appreciation out her in the boonies, where we came for health reasons only, was 16.75% last year. Thank God our 55 & over community is well maintained including the pool and clubhouse which has 2 Brunswicks covered in Simonis. Pockets are buckets but with the hard leather backings plus I have been told that the pocket angles are improperly cut, consequently they play harder than one would think. Also because age diminishes our physical attributes we probably need 5" pockets. My isolation in a 55 & over community and a nice pool room and a large swimming pool 75 yards from my front door and HOA dues under $70.00 I feel damn lucky to have gotten this Pandemic as well as I did. I feel fortunate to have experienced pool and its wild culture when I did and I don't expect to see it return during my lifetime to those heights as it will take real estate prices to drop dramatically and something of a stimulating injection such as the movie "the Hustler" provided. Sorry to paint such a bleak picture but is just what one old man sees at this time.

Scott hope that you and Pattie-Patty(?) are doing well. Let's catch up via e-mail ASAP.
Best to You Both,
G, "Charlie" Brown

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott our 1st lesson was there. Way back then you were driving the Lincoln with the "RackEm" license plates. I had always thought it was a great room, especially with all of the 1 Hole players. Plus a liquor license. One Pocket Richie and Wayne Pullen. I only know of 2 rooms open for sure in all of L.A. County. Mr. Lucky's in Lawndale (correct Jay?) and Family Billiards in Lakewood/Long Beach area which is now call "Good Times" and where several players from the old venerable Hard Times now hang out. Much, much smaller room. Less than a handful of rooms for over 10 million people. Jay is much more optimistic about pool rooms reappearing than I am. The square footage value of the old Hard Times would now be between 8 to 15 million dollars. When I moved from Belmont Shore in Long Beach to Murrieta the approx cost of property in the Shore was $850 t0 1100 per square foot and prices and equity just keep escalating. Appreciation out her in the boonies, where we came for health reasons only, was 16.75% last year. Thank God our 55 & over community is well maintained including the pool and clubhouse which has 2 Brunswicks covered in Simonis. Pockets are buckets but with the hard leather backings plus I have been told that the pocket angles are improperly cut, consequently they play harder than one would think. Also because age diminishes our physical attributes we probably need 5" pockets. My isolation in a 55 & over community and a nice pool room and a large swimming pool 75 yards from my front door and HOA dues under $70.00 I feel damn lucky to have gotten this Pandemic as well as I did. I feel fortunate to have experienced pool and its wild culture when I did and I don't expect to see it return during my lifetime to those heights as it will take real estate prices to drop dramatically and something of a stimulating injection such as the movie "the Hustler" provided. Sorry to paint such a bleak picture but is just what one old man sees at this time.

Scott hope that you and Pattie-Patty(?) are doing well. Let's catch up via e-mail ASAP.
Best to You Both,
G, "Charlie" Brown
Thanks for your perspective Gary and I'm glad you fared well during the pandemic. The big business in Pool today is home table sales. Pool is not dead. It just went back home! Now we have more places to play, in better environments and with no table time! In reality there are pool tables all around us and good ones at that. All we need to do here is organize our communities so that we know who has a pool table in our neighborhood and wants playing partners. :)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your perspective Gary and I'm glad you fared well during the pandemic. The big business in Pool today is home table sales. Pool is not dead. It just went back home! Now we have more places to play, in better environments and with no table time! In reality there are pool tables all around us and good ones at that. All we need to do here is organize our communities so that we know who has a pool table in our neighborhood and wants playing partners. :)
Agreed, Jay. I've got The Cue Ball in Alhambra, CA right down the street from my house; less than a mile away. It's been there as long as I can remember and I'm 50 now. They recently opened up again after having been closed for over a year due to the pandemic. They are in a rare situation as they own the building so it was much, much easier for them to weather the storm. I have no desire to head in as I've got a great setup at home as do 4 of my buddies. Between the five of us, we've got 4 tight Gold Crowns and 1 soon to be tight Sport King. Three of us (soon to be four) have air conditioned rooms which is a leg up on The Cue Ball as they never run their air conditioning. I may head in once they start their weekly tournament again and may join the in house BCA League once that starts up. No point in paying time when you have access to better equipment in a better environment. My setup:
49725546583_4caad40c64_4k.jpg

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Toxic waste? Golden opp. Stay open and re-name it: 'Toxic Billiards', LA's only poolroom where the balls glow in the dark" ;)

No one without a death wish would play in a Toxic Place. Actually most business & pool room that look like a toxic dump fail. The OX Bar & Aleander were prime examples. No dirty, beyopnd dirty, I think they were both clean the day they opened, any cleaning past that date was questionable.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, Jay. I've got The Cue Ball in Alhambra, CA right down the street from my house; less than a mile away. It's been there as long as I can remember and I'm 50 now. They recently opened up again after having been closed for over a year due to the pandemic. They are in a rare situation as they own the building so it was much, much easier for them to weather the storm. I have no desire to head in as I've got a great setup at home as do 4 of my buddies. Between the five of us, we've got 4 tight Gold Crowns and 1 soon to be tight Sport King. Three of us (soon to be four) have air conditioned rooms which is a leg up on The Cue Ball as they never run their air conditioning. I may head in once they start their weekly tournament again and may join the in house BCA League once that starts up. No point in paying time when you have access to better equipment in a better environment. My setup:
What day does the Cue Ball usually have their tournaments?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sunday. Where are you located?
I live in Inglewood. Been thinking of getting into some tournaments- may enter some bar table tournaments at Good Times, but looking for some 9 foot tournaments- seemingly hard to find now that Hard Times is gone

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, super nice!