SC Open - Jan 1988 - Hall vs Strickland

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Here is an oldie but goodie.

These two legends duel in the finals of the South Carolina Open in Charleston.

This is an 11 part You Tube video with some great action.

Some observations:

Buddy uses his playing cue to play, break, and jump. He seems to do okay with just the one stick. ;)

At 6:15 on part 2, Earl plays a fantastic combo that is worth the price of admission, all by itself.

Starting in part 3, it's funny to see Buddy smoking during the match and leaving his burning cigs on the table in between shots. I know, it's 1988 in Tobaccoland! :thumbup: Still looks funny with how we all have been reconditioned to this.

In part 7, at 1:00, Earl gets out of line on the 8 ball. After swinging his stick in disgust, he comes with an amazing shot into the side with p-e-r-f-e-c-t shape on the nine. Whoa!

In part 11, at :50, Earl uses his playing cue (of course) to jump and draw whitey to perfection.

The match went hill-hill, so tune in, if you haven't already seen this one, to find out who wins. :smile:

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlbpCxxOW4

Best,
Brian kc
 
Last edited:
Thanx to 'Cecil B DeVille'

Another good one.
Buddy lookin' like he's wadin' through water...
Earl with his short choppy steps..

You know what I don't miss about those days KC?
Gandy tables...Mali 821 directional nap...lighter 'club' balls

It's not like the game was tougher,there were just less options.
Remember Earl missing that 8-ball first game?
I assume he was holding for the 9 with low left english....
..spinning with or against the nap had some surprises

Buddy wins a year later in Memphis on the same conditions...
Beat Captain Hook in the finals
 
That is a cool video. I bought a lot of accustats videos from a widow of a great poolplayer here in Charleston and one of the home videos was a local Bill Allen beating Keith Mcready on that same table. Mcready shot all his 9ball shots one handed. I have been wondering what event that was. Do you know where the tourney was held?
 
How in the world did they run ball after ball with such low tech. cues. Or should I say shafts? LOL :rolleyes:
 
It was at the Sheraton Hotel in Columbia, I think. My cousin and I were there for the entire tournament. Buddy came in that day with 2 girls on his arn and red-eyed like he had been up drinking and partying all night. That's the first time I remember seeing cue repair at a tournament (Leonard Bludworth). I also remember betting Shannon Daulton a $20 sweat bet on a match. He was about 16 years old or so. That I think I remember Sigel and Strickland playing either the finals, or late in the tournament. It was a great match. The wing ball went every time.

Mike
 
How in the world did they run ball after ball with such low tech. cues. Or should I say shafts? LOL :rolleyes:

Why, that Strickland feller couldn't even afford one of them fancy jump cues, he used his playing cue, imagine that...
 
That is a cool video. I bought a lot of accustats videos from a widow of a great poolplayer here in Charleston and one of the home videos was a local Bill Allen beating Keith Mcready on that same table. Mcready shot all his 9ball shots one handed. I have been wondering what event that was. Do you know where the tourney was held?

Evan,
If it was in Charleston SC like Pat says in the intro. My guess would be the Golden Cue. Walter Deery (Owner) sponsored some stops that brought a lot of big names. I'm not sure about the blue cloth though. Stuabes, or Whitey might have a better memory. Sorry, I couldn't help more. Would like to see Mr. Bill play Kieth.
:thumbup:
 
Back
Top