Schon Butt cap

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone had any experiance with removing the butt cap from a Schon? Don't want to just tear into it. Thanks

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had them replace one the other month. Was too nervous to do it myself. Not cheap,$100, but was somewhat worth it, as I stopped by their place to drop it off, and bs'ed with them for 15 min or so.

Ralph

Just had them replace one the other month. Was too nervous to do it myself. Not cheap,$100, but was somewhat worth it, as I stopped by their place to drop it off, and bs'ed with them for 15 min or so.
Has anyone had any experiance with removing the butt cap from a Schon? Don't want to just tear into it. Thanks
you need I think a 11/64 allen wrench to take the screw out just pull the butt cap out. call schon and have them mail you a new one. maybe 10-15 bucks

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Bumper, easy, small allen wrench would do it. Butt Cap? You've gotta be kidding me. It's been a long time since butt caps went in without epoxy. Why would anyone want to remove it, unless it was damaged? And then that's a cue repairman's job, not some lonely joe...

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumper, easy, small allen wrench would do it. Butt Cap? You've gotta be kidding me. It's been a long time since butt caps went in without epoxy. Why would anyone want to remove it, unless it was damaged? And then that's a cue repairman's job, not some lonely joe...
It is still quite common that delrin butt caps are not epoxied. The weight bolt holds them in place. In a lot of cases, the slop between the tenon and the delrin cap is rediculous. The good part is, it's repairable so if fits correctly and can also be epoxied.

Last edited:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, my mistake should have said bumper not butt cap. I look at it and it doesn't appear to be an Allen screw.
I am trying to see if a Mezz X-bumper would fit in a Schon. I try again with the Allen. Thanks

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch. Use hex allen key 9/64" to un-screw the little screw that keeps the rubber. FYI, Mezz X-bumper is not fit to Schon. If you need rear extension, PM me.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, my mistake should have said bumper not butt cap. I look at it and it doesn't appear to be an Allen screw.
I am trying to see if a Mezz X-bumper would fit in a Schon. I try again with the Allen. Thanks
Schon bumpers are about 1.015 outer diameter. Mezz is threaded M14x2. It's Not going to fit.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You wanting extension? If so contact Rick Roper. I put contact info in Cue Accessory section. Makes great stuff.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It is still quite common that delrin butt caps are not epoxied. The weight bolt holds them in place. In a lot of cases, the slop between the tenon and the delrin cap is rediculous. The good part is, it's repairable so if fits correctly and can also be epoxied.
Good point on the delrin butt caps. But, I think it's been quite awhile, if ever, that Schon used a delrin butt cap.

Also, my delrin butt capped cues are not only epoxied, but they are threaded as well.

All the best,
WW

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point on the delrin butt caps. But, I think it's been quite awhile, if ever, that Schon used a delrin butt cap.

Also, my delrin butt capped cues are not only epoxied, but they are threaded as well.

All the best,
WW
I haven't seen a Schon without a delrin butt cap yet. Not saying they don't exist. I just haven't seen one.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen a Schon without a delrin butt cap yet. Not saying they don't exist. I just haven't seen one.
I've had a couple that had sort of a 'yellowish' material that wasn't bright white like the delrin ones. Is that just a different color of delrin?

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive seen both. But by 87/88 were standardized into what I assume is/was a white or black ABS type material. Any ones I see after say 1990 with "Delrin" were replacements caused by a missed ball/floor collision incident.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive seen both. But by 87/88 were standardized into what I assume is/was a white or black ABS type material. Any ones I see after say 1990 with "Delrin" were replacements caused by a missed ball/floor collision incident.
I'm going to agree with that. Looking at thier web site, it says butt caps 100.00 and does not include refinishing.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure about the refinishing costs, but when I dropped off my Schon a few months back, it was $100, no extra cost for refinishing. The repair was flawless, absolutely perfect fit, looks as though it was actually turned as one piece with the butt, and had the sp logo as the original had. Also done in one work day. While nobody likes paying to have something fixed because of a stupid thing on their part, ( butt cap hit a side table edge and cracked when I was careless walking around my pool table) I was happy to pay it considering the great service I received. I have no problem paying for quality and great service, and I am sure there many many others out there like me. Something to think about if you are a small business owner or in the service industry.