Schon ID and restoration

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Found a "survivor" today, does anyone know the model? The ring is old and the cue plays strong with the old shaft on it. Even without a wrap or buttcap, I liked it.

Does Schon sell buttcaps? I can fix the buttsleeve and wrap up.

Attachments

• IMG_20171128_145536.jpg
    IMG_20171128_145536.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 703

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
I have a SP49 that looks just like this one in the picture, that’s not the same cue? Sorry I’m on my phone.

Attachments

• F87F6287-AF3C-4F19-B641-4799EA166392.jpeg
    F87F6287-AF3C-4F19-B641-4799EA166392.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 635

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I have a SP49 that looks just like this one in the picture, that’s not the same cue? Sorry I’m on my phone.

the inlays in the forearm are different, subject features truncated diamonds in the forearm whereas the catalog cue has smaller inlays

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon changed small details sometimes. A buddy had a STL7 that looked just like this cue. The newer 7's are a little different. The 49 in that old brochure looks just like the op's cue.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Schon changed small details sometimes. A buddy had a STL7 that looked just like this cue. The newer 7's are a little different. The 49 in that old brochure looks just like the op's cue.

i have NO idea what the hell i was looking at, i was wrong and THANKS for pointing it out

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Thanks guys, I am also blind. It sure looks like the 49 in that photo.

Now to find a buttcap!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
There are TWO DIFFERENT SP-49 cues on that catalog page. One with veneers, one without. Very odd!

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
No expert here, but I'd be willing to bet that shaft isn't original to that cue. The rings are different...and the Micarta ferule...I'd be willing to bet it's an old Runde stitch ring shaft that belonged to a different Schon cue at some point.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Schon went through variations in offerings, some brochures showed one SP-49, and some showed more than one version. This one does seem to be the one, without point veneers. See below.

As for buttcap, I suspect Schon's was a material owned by them that you can't get ahold of. However, Given the look of them, I would either go with Ivorine 3 or 4, or Juma for a similar look. Hope this helps.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Schon 2.jpg
    Schon 2.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 729

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My experience in the old days was Schon would only replace a buttcap themselves (with a butt refinish) and you want one with the logo to avoid any future questions. Definitely worth a call to find out.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
No expert here, but I'd be willing to bet that shaft isn't original to that cue. The rings are different...and the Micarta ferule...I'd be willing to bet it's an old Runde stitch ring shaft that belonged to a different Schon cue at some point.

Definitely not original, that's my own shaft I tried on it. Plays sweet, even all chewed up with no wrap.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a restoration done by Schon themselves; got a new but cap (black with “Schon” logo), re-wrap and refinished for a very reasonable price. It looked brand new. Also done quickly. We would use them again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It looks like an early "S" series shaft (redish brown collars) 1981...Nice shaft.

Yes and yes, it's a player. I tried to buy an S cue for it and got rebuffed, so I'm changing the collar to fit my player cue.