Schon Weight Bolt Stuck!

MalibuMike

Banned
My Schon Aluminum weight bolt is stripped and stuck, I have tried heating with a soldering iron and just about every thing else, is there a way to drill the Schon weight out without ruining the Bolt threads?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
A cue builder should be able to drill out the bolt, then retap / clean up the hole... New bolt will be needed unless you are wanting it lighter

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
My Schon Aluminum weight bolt is stripped and stuck, I have tried heating with a soldering iron and just about every thing else, is there a way to drill the Schon weight out without ruining the Bolt threads?

You say the bolt is stripped, 1) Does the bolt turn but not unscrew out? 2) does the bolt NOT move? If #1, the bolt is good, but the wood threads in the cue are stripped. If you try to drill it out, it will rotate with the drill bit. Is it an allen head bolt? Using 5 minute epoxy, carefully glue a wrench into the socket, and support it so it stays straight then let dry overnight. Next day, pull carefully on the wrench as you rotate cue to unscrew it and it should come out. Once it's out, then you will need a cue guy to bore, plug, drill and retap the hole.
If #2, Bolt isn't stripped... but if you need to remove the bolt, then drilling into the bolt and trying a screw extractor can help....just drill the hole deep, as the heat from drilling may heat the bolt to melt/weaken any glue on it making it possible to remove it easier.
When you drill out a bolt, usually that will require drilling to the size of the bolt, and destroying the threads in the wood.
Dave

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon weight bolts are usually glued in, as they hold the Delrin buttcap on, but if you want it out , drill a 1/4" hole, use a screw extractor after you have heated the bolt with a soldering iron.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ALL GOOD SUGGESTIONS-
I just add-
careful with heating-
you can MELT THE BUTT CAP-
SEEN IT HAPPEN ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MalibuMike

Banned
Thank you!!

All sound good! Drill and remove with a screw extractor, and be carful not to overheat!
Thank you!

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't heating the bolt cause it to expand? You might try going the opposite direction and drop a sliver of dry ice onto the bolt which would cause the metal weight bolt to contract. Just a thought.

Calzican

Registered
Remember righty tighty lefty loosey... I think Schon bolts are flathead maybe next time after heating bolt to loosen epoxy use a really wide blade screwdriver. If possible put the screwdriver in a vice and use the cue for leverage to break loose.

You say the bolt is stripped, 1) Does the bolt turn but not unscrew out? 2) does the bolt NOT move? If #1, the bolt is good, but the wood threads in the cue are stripped. If you try to drill it out, it will rotate with the drill bit. Is it an allen head bolt? Using 5 minute epoxy, carefully glue a wrench into the socket, and support it so it stays straight then let dry overnight. Next day, pull carefully on the wrench as you rotate cue to unscrew it and it should come out. Once it's out, then you will need a cue guy to bore, plug, drill and retap the hole.
If #2, Bolt isn't stripped... but if you need to remove the bolt, then drilling into the bolt and trying a screw extractor can help....just drill the hole deep, as the heat from drilling may heat the bolt to melt/weaken any glue on it making it possible to remove it easier.
When you drill out a bolt, usually that will require drilling to the size of the bolt, and destroying the threads in the wood.
Dave
It comes with a 3/8-16 steel bolt with a screwdriver slot and threaded for bumper screw. Spin it with a screwdriver bit and pull it out with the little screw. More likely the hole is stripped than the screw.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
It comes with a 3/8-16 steel bolt with a screwdriver slot and threaded for bumper screw. Spin it with a screwdriver bit and pull it out with the little screw. More likely the hole is stripped than the screw.
it was an Aluminum bolt, and he got banned, so never heard back as to what was really going on.