Scotch Doubles - who goes next?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA does not allow push shots.
Well I looked into it a little bit, and we are both correct. Regular team APA does not allow push shots. But they are allowed in APA Masters division, since they follow u.s. amateur Championship rules.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a big deal but is it called a push or a push out? I always call it a push out, but it seems like nearly all the players in our Monday night tournament call push.
Push out would be the proper term. Push out, push shot, or push.... all the same.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We’ve always played the order should stay the same. If a player makes the 9 ball, his partner breaks the next game. If a player misses the last shot and their opponents run out, his partner gets to shoot first in the next game. Even if an easy 9 ball shot is conceded to an opponent, that still counts as a shot and their partner would have to break the following game. If the match involves multiple sets, then naturally the team would be able to start the new set in whatever order they desire.

The question that has always confused me for scotch doubles 9-ball is if a player pushes out after the break and their opponent passes the shot back to them, does that same player shoot or does his partner shoot?
Yes I always see scotch doubles played that way. The player making last shot in last rack does not shoot first in next rack
For push out, definitely the player making push out gets to shoot if shot is passed back cos only he knows how to shoot it since he made the push out. That is how it has always been played in the biggest scotch doubles 9 ball event in the world, World Cup of Pool :LOL: