Screwed up a customers shaft for the first time

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
Took me over 15 years to mess one up but I guess it was bound to happen.

Chucked up the shaft turned the lathe on and the back chuck on my deluxe spun off and free wheeled on the shaft. I should have taken pics but I may have been too busy swearing!

Note to self, after changing chucks, make sure it’s tight!

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member
Took me over 15 years to mess one up but I guess it was bound to happen.

Chucked up the shaft turned the lathe on and the back chuck on my deluxe spun off and free wheeled on the shaft. I should have taken pics but I may have been too busy swearing!

Note to self, after changing chucks, make sure it’s tight!
Even Tony Sciannella has done it. Don't be like Jussie Smollett and beat yourself up over it :)

PracticeChampion

Sucks buddy but gotta expect it'll happen one day. I'm new at this stuff so xtra scared of this scenario especially a few shafts I've had that were one of a kind built.

How'd the customer take it?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have only spun off the rear chuck when coring............. I did attempt to cut off a tip in the lathe and broke off the tenon and split the shaft down about 6 inches................ made the customer a new shaft.............. lol

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So crap happens... It's good day if no injuries/nobody gets hurt. I tip and clean for friends but question myself as I'm doing something for free and might have make good if things go sour.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of your mishap Rodney.

Does anyone use left handed threads on the rear chuck to prevent this ?

Dave

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I’m over it now, last nice I definitely want in a good mood. I steamed out the dents and scratches the best I could then filled them in . You can see them but not feel it.

I offered to make him a new shaft or order a new Schon shaft and he’s fine with me making him a new one.

Hopefully it’s another 15 before I wreck another one!