Secondary or used cue market

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
This isn't meant to duplicate other threads, so I apologize if that is the case (perceived or otherwise).
Several years ago I bought and sold a few cues (mostly via eBay) in an effort to find a decent player or two. I typically didn't do well when reselling cues.
After watching the Wanted/For Sale section here, I have no idea which cues are relatively safe. It seems like some wonderful cues flounder even though they appear to be offered at bargain prices, while others may sell in minutes. There seems to be little rhyme or reason. I can't crack the code.
What I'd like is to read some opinions on which cuemakers have the best secondary market. I'd like to experiment a bit again, but don't consider myself a collector or dealer. Which cues could I buy and later resell with little risk of taking a beating? I know I could buy high and sell low to make a lot of friends, but I'd rather not.......
Thanks,
Karl
 
recommended with no order of like or dislike......

LP Customs <<< made my player...great to deal with.

Pierce

Gilbert

Omen

Shurtz

these are the cues I'm looking for now and I have trust in feeling they will hold their value.

good luck,

G.
 
Pierce and Tony Zinzola....Pierce makes a GREAT product and is great to deal with. I have a sneaking suspicion Tony Z. may end up like another "Tony" from the east coast :)
 
Which cues could I buy and later resell with little risk of taking a beating?

From what I've seen and read here on the forums, there are two different levels of cues that have good resale value...
The low end and the high end.
One could easily spend 500-600 bucks on a player cue, whether it be a Tim Scruggs sneaky pete or just a plain jane cue from a well known maker. Being in the $1000 and below range puts the cue in a wider range of buyers, making it an easier sale in the future if need be.

Next I'd say the cues on the opposite end of the spectrum...4k and up...
Hercek, Szamboti's, Gina's, Tasc's, Black, Haley, etc...
These guys are the masters, and demand higher prices. People will always be wanting cues from these guys. They've worked hard for many years, have long wait times and are in demand and not readily available. This also adds to the premium if buying secondhand....BUT, chances are they will always hold their value and likely increase with time...

My collection ranges somewhere in the middle...I just love the game and the art of cuemaking, and would like to try different makers from across the board.
I've never hit with any of the cues I own before buying, except for the Gina...and have been very pleased with all of them. No plans on selling any of them either :grin-square:...so the resale value really doesn't mean squat to me.

If I was to make a guess as to who's cues will be the next big earner...I'd go with Ernie and Ginacues. He is close to retirement and his prices are already soaring...and I don't see it stopping anytime soon...

Have fun collecting, that's what it's all about anyways!! :wink:

Clint <----Wants a high end Gina before it's too late LOL...
 
Karl,the market is very soft at this time, it might be a good time to look for a deal or two. The only cues that I believe that you could purchase and expect to make a profit on are cues by Barry, Shick, Hercek, Searing, and a few others of that quality. That said unless you have been on a list for quite some time you will pay a healthy mark up over what you would from the builder himself. Now having said that, any quality cue that you buy from a builder you should be able to play and later sell for a hundred dollars one way or the other from what you purchased it for. I don't believe unless you have been in the business of jocking cues for awhile that you can expect to make money on cues, many of the dealers have standing orders with the builders and have an avenue to the first market not the secondary. I had Barry build a cue once and as I no longer have it the last I talked to him he told me his mother wouldn't be able to get a cue from him. Joel is in the process of building me a cue now, I asked Joel with the economy as it is if he had an issue with people dropping off his list, his response was no that he has almost no one drop off his list but has had individuals die before their name came up. If you look at Southwest's list it is 10-12 years long and maybe a big part is dealers but still it makes a new Southwest scarce or at least expensive. Still Southwest has raised their pricing and you can no longer double your investment over night or in a month. If you have the time and pick the correct up and coming builder you may make some real money but that again is a shot in the dark. Good luck.
 
Have you looked into getting a copy of the BlueBook of Billiard Cues? AFAIK, its the only book out there that covers buying and selling of cues, along with price guidelines from each maker.
 
Back
Top