shaft cleaner

Ltldebbie

Ltldebbie
Silver Member
Q silk

Ant812 said:
are there any non abrasive cleaners out there. i want to clean my shaft without haveing to sand it afterwards. i have cue clean, although it works great, it does raise the grain. anyone ever use diamondback shaft cleaner?

I use Q Silk. Designed for cleaning shaft. I only use a drop on napkin. I think I have used two bottles since product first came on market.

I would deffinately be nervous about bleach, or any amonia based product. If your into sanding a new dollar bill works fine. Use a Hundred if it makes ya geel better.

Omar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
are there any non abrasive cleaners out there. i want to clean my shaft without haveing to sand it afterwards. i have cue clean, although it works great, it does raise the grain. anyone ever use diamondback shaft cleaner?

The guy who makes Quick-Clean also makes a shaft cleaner and it works about as well as anything I have ever used. Unfortunately, he only sells it in a kit with 2 2 oz bottles and a microfiber towel for $20.00 plus s+h. I have also seen him at VF and the U.S. Open selling the bottles for $5.00 a piece. I wouldn't mind buying the cleaner, as you only use a couple of drops per application, but how many $10.00 towels do I need?

Magic Eraser also works well, but it will raise the grain so you need to be careful. The key thing is to be gentle. Don't rotate the cue. I find that taking slow strokes in the same direction does much less damage than a rubbing motion.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
i used alcohol. it worked awesome, didn't make the shaft brand new color but good enough for me. as for the magic eraser, i actually bought an magic eraser (the kind you erase pencil with) at staples all along wondering how in the world can an eraser raise the grain of the wood.:confused: i never used it as i read in a different post the the correct product was mr clean. :D

Ant,

Did you buy and use this type of Magic Eraser?

eraser_product.jpg

I can hook you up with one if you like.

Normally, I use rubbing alcohol, 91% from CVS, with a paper towel or cotton cloth (old t-shirt). Then I use a damp (not wet) Magic Eraser and this gets all the blue OUT. Shaft will look like brand new. From there, I use a micro film/burnisher to get the grains down smooth.

Then, from there, I've use Slip Stic but am currently using Diamondback Cue Toxin. Smooth.

From there, I will use the alchol after every few hours of use, and then the Magic Eraser thing after a couple of weeks.

I do this for a couple of guys on my APA pool team, and others who I actually like within the league. No complaints yet, and lots of repeat customers.

BTW...I DO plan on shooting this Saturday. You going to be there? I would be happy to hook up your shaft for you.

Last edited:

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the qualifiers are only on sundays now. ill be there again, i lost to a 3 in 9 ball sunday.
the alcohol alone is working good enough for me. i have a bunch of products the will clean a shaft totally but all lift the grain. i have used it on a z shaft and over time it got thinner, still very useable but plays a lot different. the one im using now i dont want to sand anything off of it, id rather have it blue. thanks though, i appreciate it, but im going to stick with the alcohol...thanks for that info. i was using pledge before which makes the shaft nice and slick but at the same time locks the chalk in. with the alcohol, i get the best of both worlds.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
the qualifiers are only on sundays now. ill be there again, i lost to a 3 in 9 ball sunday.
the alcohol alone is working good enough for me. i have a bunch of products the will clean a shaft totally but all lift the grain. i have used it on a z shaft and over time it got thinner, still very usable but plays a lot different. the one im using now i dont want to sand anything off of it, id rather have it blue. thanks though, i appreciate it, but im going to stick with the alcohol...thanks for that info. i was using pledge before which makes the shaft nice and slick but at the same time locks the chalk in. with the alcohol, i get the best of both worlds.

The way I hook up the Magic Eraser, yes, it raises the grain, but burnishing will smooth it out. I use alomst a 2,000 grit micro film to do this. After dozens of times doing this, I don;t think I've removed much wood, and shaft is in original condition.

Mitch emailed and said play is this Saturday.

Wait, does that mean no tournament this Saturday the 17th?

What time of Sunday is there going to be play if not Saturday? And qualifier for what? Did I miss something last time? It wouldn't be the first time.

I take it we played in a qualifier match last time we shot Saturday.

Last edited:

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no play on saturday. it starts up at 1 on sunday, but i recomend getting there around 12 to insure you get a spot on the board. its a singles qualifier for the regional tounament in quakertown. win there and it a free ride to vegas to play for $15,000. i made it there last year but didnt make it into any money spots.

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
You guys are hard core. I am living in the stone age, I guess. I use a paper towel with a tiny little splash of water on it once every blue moon. LOL. :eek:

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
You guys are hard core. I am living in the stone age, I guess. I use a paper towel with a tiny little splash of water on it once every blue moon. LOL. :eek:
sir, put the towel down and step away from the stick. :D jk

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Ant812 said:
sir, put the towel down and step away from the stick. :D jk

LOL. Maybe I'll try the magic eraser on my ferrule sometime. I usually just use my thumb to rub the chalk off my ferrule every now and then. Call me crazy, but I don't really mind the shaft being a little darkened from the chalk. It only bothers me when it gets dirty enough to feel a little sticky.

I don't really like how a super slick shaft feels. This is part of the reason why I'd never use a glove. On the other hand, I would probably get used to it if I had to.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Ant812 said:

Use moist towelette wipes that you get at Tony Roma's.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg said:
If you really want to clean that shaft, use a damp Magic Eraser. Very light sanding/burnishing is necessary afterwords, but it minimal, and really really gets the job done.
After reading these threads on Mr. Clean, yesterday I stopped by my local Target store and bought a box.

However, I was wondering about the warning on the box not to use Mr. Clean on glossy wood surfaces. Will Mr. Clean damage the glossy finish on the shaft?

Also, the safety instructions say that you should avoid contact with the skin/eyes. If you apply Mr. Clean and clean the chalk off the cue shaft, isn't there a safety issue with skin coming into contact with the chemicals in Mr. Clean? When you're done cleaning the shaft with Mr. Clean, do you need to wipe the shaft off with water or something to remove the chemicals?

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
something good for the wood

I will post another way you can take care of you shafts for the guy not wanting to raise the grain. Cue makers secret no longer You will need to rub waterproof glue into the shaft like waxing the car use a wet paper towel plenty of glue and wipe clean withtthe wet paper towel. Let dry wax as usual, sand with 1000+ as usual. Key is waterproof not water resistent it is waterproof once it dries cleans up with damp paper towel. The older shafts were sealed with couple drops motor oil and baby powder then buffed works great as well. I will only tell ya what I think you need to know not everything I know. Still got a few in the bag of tricks. mark