Shane Van Boening to Play in Waco, Saturday!!!

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just In!

From: Keena Miller [mailto:keenam@tsd.state.tx.us] On Behalf Of Keena Miller
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 11:04 AM
To: Ray Hansen
Subject: Pool Challenge for TSD in Waco Sep 6, 2008

Shane Van Boening, reigning US Open Champ and 2007 Predator World Ten-ball Champion, makes a special appearance this Saturday, at Clicks Billiards in Waco. Clicks is the site for a mid-level pool tournament, starting at noon on Saturday, September 6.
Because Van Boening's skill and accomplishments prevent him from competing with mid-level players in the tournament, he will be challenging those brave enough to take him on in a game of Nine-ball, with proceeds going to the Texas School for the Deaf (TSD). Challengers will pay $10.00 for a game with Van Boening, which will be donated to TSD, and will also be entered in a drawing for a chance to win exciting prizes. The public is invited to participate.
The Texas School for the Deaf, located in Austin, is the oldest continuously operating publicly funded school in Texas. Opened in 1857 with only four students, the campus now serves students ages 0-22, and provides outreach and educational resources for deaf students, their families and professionals in the field throughout the state of Texas. With educational excellence and a strong belief in a culture and community that allows students to form a unique identity based on their individual strengths and talents, rather than their disabilities, TSD is an environment where students learn, grow, and belong. For more information about the Texas School for the Deaf, visit http://www.tsd.state.tx.us/.

Thanks to Van Boening and Cue & A Promotions for partnering with the Texas School for the Deaf, as well as sponsors, Hanshew Custom Cues, and Omega Billiards International.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Shane

I believe Shane has gone to visit 'deaf' schools before, certainly an inspiration to others. BTW, did Shane get a trophy (Plaque) besides the money for winning the Texas Open Championship?

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Texas Open Champion

Snapshot9 said:
I believe Shane has gone to visit 'deaf' schools before, certainly an inspiration to others. BTW, did Shane get a trophy (Plaque) besides the money for winning the Texas Open Championship?

Shane received a beautiful acrylic plaque commemorating the event and his name is placed on the Vanover Cup along with all past Champions!! He also has lifetime exemption from entry fees in all future Opens!

Thanks for inquiring!

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has visited a school for the deaf before and made presentations there. I believe there is an article in one of the pool magazines about it but I can't remember which one.

He seemed to enjoy the Texas Open. After he won the hot seat match he was so pumped up. I was surprised to see him get that excited about a regional event considering he had won so many larger and more recognized tournaments. But I think a win at a tournament with such harsh conditions (heat & humidity) like this was just what he needed before going to Manila this month for the World 10-ball.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

I would like to thank everyone who shared the love with a little rep!! All the nice comments mean so much to me!

The real people that deserve the rep are the folks that are sending in their donations to help the Texas School for the Deaf!!:thumbup:

I have had several that simply wanted to give to show their support for Shane and this cause! It is truly heart warming!!

Ray

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
My grandpa was deaf and mute.
and people always referrd to him as "deaf and dumb"

I am so glad that we have people like Shane to dispell these myths.
Just because u cant hear doesnt mean you r dumb. I am proud to be a part of what Shane is doing in Texas.

Go Shane, youve got my support no matter what!

Last edited:

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Event

This was the most fun I have ever had on a pool weekend!!!

Shane is one cool cat!! Everyone enjoyed visiting with him and playing pool together.

Shane and Cristinia rolled in to Waco about 10am. They sat through the majority of our players meeting, as Cristina was playing in the event.

Shane hopped on table 16, the table Clicks manager Jim Ashby had the pockets tightened on, around noon and just hit balls and visited with tournament players and local for 3 hours before starting the "Challenge the Pro" fundraiser games.

We only planned on him playing folks for a couple of hour, but he went for over 3 hrs!!! He even played a rack of short rack banks with our local bank meister, Benny "banking Benny" Scott! Benny lost! LOL.

Everyone was very impressed with Shane! Nothing but praises and awe!! It's so great for our sport to have an ambassador like Shane Van Boening!

Myself, Shane, Cristina, Mike Huang of Omega Billiards and his wife Joann were able to sneak away for a bite before the finals. That kid can eat too!

It was a day to remember for a whole lot of us in Waco!

Ray

ps. We raised $515. to donate to the Texas School for the Deaf also!!

Last edited:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CrisDeLaGarza said:
Shane has visited a school for the deaf before and made presentations there. I believe there is an article in one of the pool magazines about it but I can't remember which one.

Yes, Shane has visited other schools for the Hearing Impaired - this one was in Denver http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=98111&highlight=shane.

And yes, he is a great ambassador for pool. How much did he raise for the school in TX?

Dave

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Account

12squared said:
Yes, Shane has visited other schools for the Hearing Impaired - this one was in Denver http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=98111&highlight=shane.

And yes, he is a great ambassador for pool. How much did he raise for the school in TX?

Dave

We had 43 people play shane games 43x10=430+85 in donations that didn't play!

$515.00 was raised.

If anyone else would like to donate c/o Shane, please write SHANE VAN BOENING in the memo of your check!

Click here to donate

Thanks again to everyone!

Ray

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bigtruck said:
This was the most fun I have ever had on a pool weekend!!!

Shane is one cool cat!! Everyone enjoyed visiting with him and playing pool together.

Shane and Cristinia rolled in to Waco about 10am. They sat through the majority of our players meeting, as Cristina was playing in the event.

Shane hopped on table 16, the table Clicks manager Jim Ashby had the pockets tightened on, around noon and just hit balls and visited with tournament players and local for 3 hours before starting the "Challenge the Pro" fundraiser games.

We only planned on him playing folks for a couple of hour, but he went for over 3 hrs!!! He even played a rack of short rack banks with our local bank meister, Benny "banking Benny" Scott! Benny lost! LOL.

Everyone was very impressed with Shane! Nothing but praises and awe!! It's so great for our sport to have an ambassador like Shane Van Boening!

Myself, Shane, Cristina, Mike Huang of Omega Billiards and his wife Joann were able to sneak away for a bite before the finals. That kid can eat too!

It was a day to remember for a whole lot of us in Waco!

Ray

ps. We raised $515. to donate to the Texas School for the Deaf also!!

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a great time for a great cause!:D