Sharked by Mother Earth

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
It goes like this: I'm down on the shot, lined up, practice strokes, pause -- then at the instant I pull the trigger, an earthquake hits. Shaking, rumbling, you know the drill. So I miscue. Yes, just this once in my life, I am going to blame a miscue on the whole freaking Earth.

This was just practice (and I graciously allowed me to take the shot over), but how would/should it be handled in a game? Do any of the associations have rules dealing with this? What would you do in a game if you were the shooter? If you were the opponent?

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Man ive heard my opponents make excuses because they missed a shot such as bad tip, someone walking in front of them, cell phone ringing, someone talking you name it but an earthquake. I was watching, you were going to miss the shot anyway. If you would have been concentrating it would have went. Just kidding:grin:
3.35 NON-PLAYER INTERFERENCE
If the balls are moved (or a player bumped such that play is directly affected) by a non-player during the match, the balls shall be replaced as near as possible to their original positions immediately prior to the incident, and play shall resume with no penalty on the player affected. If the match is officiated, the referee shall replace the balls. This rule also applies to “act of God” interferences, such as earthquakes, hurricanes, light fixture falling, power failures, etc If the balls cannot be restored to their original positions, replay the game with the original player breaking.. This rule is not applicable to 14.1 Continuous where the game consists of successive racks: the rack in progress will be discontinued and a completely new rack will be started with the requirements of the normal opening break (players lag for break). Scoring of points is to be resumed at the score as it stood at the moment of game disruption.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It goes like this: I'm down on the shot, lined up, practice strokes, pause -- then at the instant I pull the trigger, an earthquake hits. Shaking, rumbling, you know the drill. So I miscue. Yes, just this once in my life, I am going to blame a miscue on the whole freaking Earth.

This was just practice (and I graciously allowed me to take the shot over), but how would/should it be handled in a game? Do any of the associations have rules dealing with this? What would you do in a game if you were the shooter? If you were the opponent?

If you ate some beans at Del Taco or El Pollo Loco before playing pool, then it may not have been an earthquake causing that rumbling. :groucho:

I think the rule is to replay the shot...for the whole "act of god/nature" deal, but I can't remember. There is a rule in some rule book, maybe APA or BCA or something that covers this scenario.

Jesse

Registered
If I'm ever lucky enough to get my opponent sharked by an act of nature, I think I'll go ahead and collect.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Similar incident happened at Johnson City, Ronnie Allen made a joke to the effect, my opponent was hooked then not after the quake and it cost me a game :)