Shoot right handed, left eye dominate

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a guy in our league, he is a very good player, but when he shoots he shoots right handed and tilts his head almost where it is flat on his right shoulder. It's funny looking the first time you see it but what he is doing is getting his left eye over the stick because his left eye is dominate.

I had never thought about one eye being dominate, let alone learning to shoot with the opposite hand/eye.

MattRDavis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the exact opposite -- left handed and right eye dominant.

However, I don't tilt my head strangely when shooting. I'll have to look into it a bit further, but I'm almost positive that when I shoot I'm focusing on the contact point with my left eye.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff said:
We have a guy in our league, he is a very good player, but when he shoots he shoots right handed and tilts his head almost where it is flat on his right shoulder. It's funny looking the first time you see it but what he is doing is getting his left eye over the stick because his left eye is dominate.

I had never thought about one eye being dominate, let alone learning to shoot with the opposite hand/eye.

I've found that tilting the head is one of two general approaches to compensating for "opposite-eye dominance", and you'll find players do this if they have a low stance. The other approach is to stand up higher in the stance so that you can lean in to get your dominant eye over the cue. You'll notice this a lot when players shoot a ball opposite-handed.

P.S.--These two approaches are the more or less biomechanically sound ones. You will also encounter many who compensate by tucking their shooting hand way inside the elbow and/or cocking the wrist inward. Not good!

Last edited:

Curdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shot at an A level for years right-handed/left eye dominant. I never found it necessary to move my left eye over the cue or to tilt my head in a strange way.
I think the truth of the matter is that I shot for probably 25 years or more before I even heard of a dominant eye! It wasn't until I heard of this issue that it became a thought to me. I don't believe that it is terribly important where your dominant eye is positioned as long as it is consistent from shot to shot.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
Curdog said:
I shot at an A level for years right-handed/left eye dominant. I never found it necessary to move my left eye over the cue or to tilt my head in a strange way.
I think the truth of the matter is that I shot for probably 25 years or more before I even heard of a dominant eye! It wasn't until I heard of this issue that it became a thought to me. I don't believe that it is terribly important where your dominant eye is positioned as long as it is consistent from shot to shot.

I'm with you, eye-dominance does not matter. Not ever, not a little, none, no way, don't waste your time checking, it won't help you, get over it.

You need DEPTH PERCEPTION to play pool and that takes BOTH eyes. Close one of your eyes and walk around poking things with your finger...try to touch them softly. You'll have a hard time telling how far away things are because there is no depth perception.

If you like the cue under one eye or the other, go for it. I've seen some strong players that shoot like that. If you like to tilt your head, go for it. I've also seen strong players that tilt their head. The only thing that comes to my mind is how do you do something so unusual consistantly? That is the reason why I have my cue under my chin, and my head straight...bottom line, it doesn't matter.

betitall

Registered
I think the dominant eye is right on. Most people do automatically you just get over the cue that allowes you to see down the line of the shot. Dominant eye is over the cue, like you wouldn't shot a rifle with your opposite eye. I dont know that its true but I remember hearing that Mike Segal is right handed but for the sake of alignment shoots left handed because he is right eyed.

Last edited:

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy told me just a little while ago how to tell which eye is dominate.

Stick your hand out straight in front of you and point at something like a doorknob, leave both eyes open.

When you have your finger pointing at the object, then close one eye and look. Do this with both eyes, open one and look with the other.

Which ever eye sees the finger "on" the object is the dominate eye. The other eye will be off quite a bit.

I guess you could learn to compensate without having your dominate eye looking down the stick.

Next time I go play, I think I will close my right eye and see what happens. :D :D

Jeffrey Gale

My WoW stick.
Silver Member
Jeff said:

I'm the same as your friend and just found out last month. I guess that's why my left eye was over the cue instead of my right. I thought my alignment was off, it wasn't. Now I'm ok with it.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Jeff said:

Johnny Archer is right-handed, left-eye dominant.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
My first experience with hand/eye dominance was back in the 60's when I was shooting tournament archery. My best friend was right handed and sprayed arrows everywhere. Checked him and sure enough, dominant left eye.
He bought a left handed bow and within a year was competitive.

Also, had a couple of pool playing friends with the same problem. Both tried switching to their left hand. One made it and plays very well. The other just quit playing all together.

Thank God, cues are not right or left handed or this sport would get real expensive for some people.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
CrownCityCorey said:
Johnny Archer is right-handed, left-eye dominant.

Judging by just about any photo of him stroking, so was Willie Mosconi.

WillieMosconi.jpg

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
But not Efren. Well, I guess that takes care of the three greatest of all time.

REYES%203.JPG

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
Nice

Glad to know I'm in good company w/ Johnny and Willie!

I can't shoot a shotgun right handed, but I shoot with the center of my chin resting on my cue. I don't find any need to compensate. Lord knows I have experimented with it, but it just throws me off. I have shot for years like this, and I don't worry about it. I did notice that when I shoot left handed it can sometimes help to put the cue a bit under my left eye.

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
VIProfessor said:
P.S.--These two approaches are the more or less biomechanically sound ones. You will also encounter many who compensate by tucking their shooting hand way inside the elbow and/or cocking the wrist inward. Not good!

Guilty as charged LOL

I use to be guilty of this. Left handed and right eyed I am. I even combined the two. Tucked my hand inside my elbow and then cocked my wrist inward. Almost to the point where the stick was laying in the palm of my hand. When it got that bad it didn't take me long to realise that I had to be doing something wrong. LOL

When I straightened this out making sure the stick was in line with my elbow and forearm bones resting in my fingers (thank you Shawn P.) and just leaned in a little more with my head, (maybe tilting my head a little to the left) it made a big stride on my pocketing consistency.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I switched over at about the age of 8. I'm right handed and play pool left handed. My eye sight is very good. Even at 41 really good. I'm left eye dominant and quickly changed from right to left when I started dabbling in pool at 8. When I got serious (16) I just played left and still do. Funny thing when I use the reach I play right handed ONLY. Can't do it with my left. Never developed the talent. I'm only 5'8" and grew up on Snooker tables and I would say I would put my playing skill with a reach as good as anyone I've seen.

You can learn to do anything. I don't do a single other thing left handed. Unless your just starting I don't think I would recommend switching.

Nick