shooting the "L"(aroung the horn)

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
<

CueTable Help




Curious to know how many of the ace AZBers can do this drill:A. consistently,B.25% of the time, C. once in a while.
The first 6 balls give me fits.

The drill is to shoot"em all in order in the top pocket, and shoot the cb every time where it comes to rest.
 
I'm somewhere between 25% and 100%. Hah. There's a lot of room for different skills in there!

This is an advanced drill and as such will be difficult for beginner players. It is noticeably easier with 4.5" or bigger pockets. This is one of my favorite drills.
 
Oh and for that sixth/seventh ball, practice each of these routes a dozen or more times and be done with it:

CueTable Help

 
I would consider this a drill that is fairly easy for all but the very most novice of shooters.

If you can't run this out with any level of consistency I would recommend that you refrain from gambling or you are likely to lose your shirt to all but the inept.

If I haven't picked up a cue for a few weeks, I like to run this drill out four or five consecutive times just to warm up before getting down to a drill that challenges me.

And if you believe all of this up to this point, I can also leap tall buildings in a single bound.

This drill is hard. Real hard.

I personally like to make a mini L using seven balls closer to the pocket about two inches apart. I am a bit less than even money to run this when shooting really well.
 
Heisler's Corner

CueTable Help


Curious to know how many of the ace AZBers can do this drill:A. consistently,B.25% of the time, C. once in a while.
The first 6 balls give me fits.

The drill is to shoot"em all in order in the top pocket, and shoot the cb every time where it comes to rest.[/QUOTE]

This drill was memorialized on one of the web sites for drills. It is called Heisler's Corner after the New Orleans gambler, Earl Heisler (now deceased). Earl and Louie Knott owned the famous New Orleans Sports Palace pool hall. It is where I started playing one pocket. Earl would practice by himself and this is the drill he would practice. FTR, Earl could not beat the 7 ball Ghost in nine ball but his strength was getting the cash-playing one pocket.

I cannot divulge how often I run out on this drill because THE GINGERBREAD MAN is watching and I don't want him to get scared. :D

It's a great ONE POCKET DRILL! You might also consider that the drill must be completed without accidentally touching any other ball except the intended object ball and that all balls must be shot in rotation only.

And BTW Greg, you had me going at first with your post. LOL.
JoeyA
 
Last edited:
Gregg said:
I would consider this a drill that is fairly easy for all but the very most novice of shooters.

If you can't run this out with any level of consistency I would recommend that you refrain from gambling or you are likely to lose your shirt to all but the inept.

If I haven't picked up a cue for a few weeks, I like to run this drill out four or five consecutive times just to warm up before getting down to a drill that challenges me.

And if you believe all of this up to this point, I can also leap tall buildings in a single bound.

This drill is hard. Real hard.

I personally like to make a mini L using seven balls closer to the pocket about two inches apart. I am a bit less than even money to run this when shooting really well.


You had me going.. I think this is a hard drill.

edit: I just did it 2 out of 4 times so i guess 50% but it's still hard IMO.
 
Last edited:
Gregg said:
I would consider this a drill that is fairly easy for all but the very most novice of shooters.

If you can't run this out with any level of consistency I would recommend that you refrain from gambling or you are likely to lose your shirt to all but the inept.

If I haven't picked up a cue for a few weeks, I like to run this drill out four or five consecutive times just to warm up before getting down to a drill that challenges me.

And if you believe all of this up to this point, I can also leap tall buildings in a single bound.

This drill is hard. Real hard.

I personally like to make a mini L using seven balls closer to the pocket about two inches apart. I am a bit less than even money to run this when shooting really well.

Thankfully I only gamble with the inept. I think it's a birds of a feather thing.:D
 
cubc said:
You had me going.. I think this is a hard drill.

edit: I just did it 2 out of 4 times so i guess 50% but it's still hard IMO.

I'm not gamlbling with you, plus I bet you're sadbagging, I bet you did it 3 out of 4!:D
 
9 on the snap said:
I'm not gamlbling with you, plus I bet you're sadbagging, I bet you did it 3 out of 4!:D

Put up the money and we'll see...:rolleyes:

BTW...I've never gambled a day in my life on a pool game. So don't go by my judgment...
 
Bob Jewett said:
I first played this drill about 30 years ago. I guess I'm an A. Here's an article about it:

http://www.onthebreaknews.com/Jewett3.htm#December04

Great stuff as usual, Bob.

You've written valuable instructional articles for several "sponsors" (On The Break, Billiards Digest, SF Billiards, etc.) - are they collected in one place anywhere, like your personal site? Or can you post a list of links to the various sources? I'd be very grateful and I'm sure many others would too.

Thanks in advance,

pj
chgo
 

Attachments

  • Picture 41.png
    Picture 41.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Back
Top