Shop Soundproofing

moccabee

Mocc1Cues
Silver Member
I am currently selling my house and moving to my fiance's house. Of course, with this move, I have to build another shop. Since the new shop will be in the basement under one of the bedrooms I will need to do as much soundproofing as I possibly can.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to help with reducing the amount of sound that leaves your shop?

I did find the following product that goes between the studs and drywall. I will also be looking for some good insulation to put between the studs.

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/sound-insulation-sound-proof-material-soundproofing-insulation.aspx

CrossBone Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One big thing I did was move all my vacs and compressors outside.
One other thing to watch out for, in some basements the ac-furnace unit may be down there. Make sure there are no filter returns. You can transfer noise thru the return.
Steve

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I am currently selling my house and moving to my fiance's house. Of course, with this move, I have to build another shop. Since the new shop will be in the basement under one of the bedrooms I will need to do as much soundproofing as I possibly can.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to help with reducing the amount of sound that leaves your shop?

I did find the following product that goes between the studs and drywall. I will also be looking for some good insulation to put between the studs.

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/sound-insulation-sound-proof-material-soundproofing-insulation.aspx

The easiest thing to do is build enclosures around your noisy equipment....

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It seems like it is very thin to do the job you are hoping for. I have been involved in some sound recording of Gospel music and the foam they use for studios is at least a couple of inches thick and has a v shape on the surface. And that is just the surface foam. The walls are filled with foam or styrofoam.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my day job, I was designing a motorized consumer product that we were having noise issues with. We took it to an Anechoic (sound) chamber at the local university to test the noise output of our product. We talked with the professor in charge of the chamber. He said "mass" is what is needed to prevent sound from passing through surfaces. The chamber was made of 7 or 10 layers (I forget exact number) of drywall screwed back to back. That's what gave it the "mass". The foam stuff is then put on top of the drywall. The foam doesn't really deaden the sound, its purpose is to prevent the sound from reflecting to other walls. Echo, in other words. I walked into this chamber a few times (it was probably 20' by 20' or so). There was absolutely no sound. In fact, it affected my balance and feeling due to its affects on my ears.

Based on this information, you would probably be better off fitting a bunch of drywall layers between your ceiling joists, rather than any foam products. It would probably be cheaper too.

And if you are making a localized noise box around individual machines, you can use the same idea of multiple layers of drywall to form the box.

Disclaimer, I'm not a sound engineer:) I know just enough to know I don't know much:)

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Im not sure of the cost today, but I used to cover the inside of car trunks with Dynamat. Its a sound deadening material. It kept the trunk from rattling and the sound "in" when the sub woofers were pounding. Im way to old to crawl under dash boards to install car audio !!