Should women be allowed to compete in US Open 9 Ball Championship?

MaryAvina.com

pool whats that?
Silver Member
Of course it should be open to women as otherwise it is not an open. It is a s shame not to see players like Alison Fisher and Jasmin Ouschan face the best on the men’s side.

Still, the bigger problem is the WPBAs lack of true opens as they indirectly limit the number of female players, which is already small to begin with. This strategy limits the potential field of female players in this country. Pool talent takes years to acquire and many players benefit from opens by getting better and better each year. The WBPA has a short sighted strategy that severely limits the new players. To have to pre-qualify for an open is not by definition an open. An open should be open to all comers.

Still, in a perfect world they should not be separate billiards associations for men and women. We should all just play whoever is left standing; oh well.

The women players would benefit from playing a bigger field of players rather than the same players over and over. Men would benefit from the attention women players garner naturally. More attention equals more money in the long run. It is no secret that the average person would rather see women play over men, so this should be capitalized on in order to bring the prize money up for everyone. Tennis is a strong example of this, because of its high ratings and it attracts more money to the sport. More coverage means more publicity and more visibility equals more money for everyone involved. Keep in mind most of this money comes from outside of tennis by people that don't even play tennis. This is what pool needs. Keep in mind this why in England snooker is paid so well, most of the money comes from non-snooker related sources.

Last point as a serious player, I want to play the best players whether it's Jasmin Ouchan or Mika Immonen.

Hugs,
Mary Avina

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=161259&page=8

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with you, Mary, you should be able to compete at the very top level. I played EVERYBODY that would gamble for a number of years and then went on the tournament scene. I was already "seasoned" and beat Efren, Earl, Rempe, Lebron, in my first tournament. BUT it was because I paid my dues be playing THE BEST players....You should have the same chance

poolwizard

Registered
I agree as well but in that case men should also be allowed play in WPBA events. It would not be fair for women to be able to enter events that is traditionally only for men and men not be able to participate in women-only events. I would rather have all pro tours be co-ed.

cuemarco

Cue Mover and Shaker
I disagree with poolwizard--having all events be co-ed. It's just not feasible economically to combine leagues - especially when most are nothing more than clubs.

shotmaker45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolwizard;bt648 said:
I agree as well but in that case men should also be allowed play in WPBA events. It would not be fair for women to be able to enter events that is traditionally only for men and men not be able to participate in women-only events. I would rather have all pro tours be co-ed.

That's not true. those women's only events don't call themselves "OPEN" tournaments.