Should you seal the Slate Surface

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think if you are replacing cloth without a lot of experience there are lots of videos out there so I'd watch a few, or even as many as you can tolerate, and take some tips from each.. some cloths have a lot more stretch than others do.

the way he gathers the cloth for the side pockets , wellit seems the cloth he is using has a lot of stretch so not having any issues. Since not all have that much stretch so it might mean handling the cloth a bit differently..

similar near the corner pockets, when doing the rails.. some videos show to tension the cloth on a bit of an angle leading up to the corner pockets, to help gather the cloth more neatly when you get to stretching it over when you do get near the pocket,, It may help to keep it a bit more neat and tidy, some videos show a bit of technique to that and to someone first trying, this may not be immediately obvious.

also a harmless thing you can try , if you like the idea, is to take a piece of chalkboard chalk and you can make grid lines that are parallel to the warp and weft of the cloth, then as you stretch you can see better if the stretch you apply is tension the cloth unevenly. If its a felt, and not woven, then maybe just lines that are parallel prior to the cloth having some tension.
In the end you can always choose to ignore your grid lines. It may help you see a bit better, I see no harm in it. chalk isn't permanent..

another small thing to note, If you want to draw a line across the table, I think it looks slightly tidier if you draw the line before installing the cushions than to end it near the cushion.. your preference , its just hard to draw a straight line in the area beneath the cushion cover at the sides of the table.
I think it is just a bit easier before the cushions are in place.. and then if you like you can continue the line until it will be covered by the cushion rather than needing to end that line..
It helps to focus on the angle , speed pressure on the pen and draw in one smooth and constant motion with no stopping and starting.
That helps to get a line that isn't varying in thickness, or not quite straight.

I'd suggest you be selective about the pen you use, dont use a half dried up, or worn out one. worth testing it on scrap before you muck it up and need to look at the little mishap for a long time after.
You WON'T find a video on the internet no matter how much you search like the training video I made! Why? Because I teach HOW so people can understand, I don't make videos to show, hey, I can recover pool table, and maybe you'll learn something, but even they don't recover them correctly!!!!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that cloth is going to be quite loose.
;)
I didn't watch the entire video. I only wanted to show the final wipe with the cloth prior to the install.
I don't know how to cut YouTube vids, or if that's even possible.

snookered_again

You WON'T find a video on the internet no matter how much you search like the training video I made! Why? Because I teach HOW so people can understand, I don't make videos to show, hey, I can recover pool table, and maybe you'll learn something, but even they don't recover them correctly!!!!
you are not only rude but so full of yourself that you are unable to learn from anyone else. you seldom contribute any valid info at all to the forum, but seem to have mental health issues and try to use the forum for some advertising venue or maybe just to vent your bad attitude.

If you were any good at all as a mechanic you'd be busy working, not posting rude comments and insulting other forum members needlessly. Most come here to discuss not to vent childish anger.

If you were worth your salt you'd watch some of the great videos on pol table recovering and learn something or contribute to discussions, try asking questions of others, I dont believe you ever have, can you show some examples if you ebver have asked any valid question?
Recovering or setting up a pool table is not very difficult or complicated anyway but there is a lot of great stuff out there.. the issue you have is that you can't even absorb any new information because you think you know everything so as a result you stopped learning a long time ago.

Ive known a few know- it-alls just like you over the years, They are always very dim because they are so focused upon themselves and generate an ego to try to mask their own incompetence. they usually talk over others rather than listening and learning , It's a learnign disability. It probably is caused by some deficiency in childhood that you just never got resolved and probably can't even admit to within yourself.
People like that have a lot of trouble listening to any others.. I'd hate to have those issues..

I have no idea why anyone with a pool table would invite you into their home or business place.. I'd have you out the door in under 5 minutes with your childish and rude attitude..

TrxR

Yout calling out a man that has been in the industry for years, has designed and built tables, was involved in the design of the blue label Diamonds. He's also known as one of the top mechanics in the US and knows more about tables than you will ever know.

He is always willing to help and is regularly giving out his number to help people.

He may come off harsh online but I know alot of people like that.
you are not only rude but so full of yourself that you are unable to learn from anyone else. you seldom contribute any valid info at all to the forum, but seem to have mental health issues and try to use the forum for some advertising venue or maybe just to vent your bad attitude.

If you were any good at all as a mechanic you'd be busy working, not posting rude comments and insulting other forum members needlessly. Most come here to discuss not to vent childish anger.

If you were worth your salt you'd watch some of the great videos on pol table recovering and learn something or contribute to discussions, try asking questions of others, I dont believe you ever have, can you show some examples if you ebver have asked any valid question?
Recovering or setting up a pool table is not very difficult or complicated anyway but there is a lot of great stuff out there.. the issue you have is that you can't even absorb any new information because you think you know everything so as a result you stopped learning a long time ago.

Ive known a few know- it-alls just like you over the years, They are always very dim because they are so focused upon themselves and generate an ego to try to mask their own incompetence. they usually talk over others rather than listening and learning , It's a learnign disability. It probably is caused by some deficiency in childhood that you just never got resolved and probably can't even admit to within yourself.
People like that have a lot of trouble listening to any others.. I'd hate to have those issues..

I have no idea why anyone with a pool table would invite you into their home or business place.. I'd have you out the door in under 5 minutes with your childish and rude attitude..

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The best way to install a cloth is to index it by lining it, that's for sure, find videos where installers work this way. Guys who don't line their cloth just can't have a perfectly balanced 2:1 setup and very tight, it's not hard to understand that. You speak here on this forum as if all the members were poor imbeciles and knew nothing, and you would like to have respect, you have much more to learn here than to show.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hmmmm...I'd wager Glen has forgotten more about pool tables than you'll ever know. He's one of the top mechanics in the country who is more than willing to share his vast knowledge here (22,000+ posts) and over the phone for free. What have you contributed to the forum other than extremely long posts that no one reads? Judging by the length of your posts, it appears you are the one with lots of spare time on your hands.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Let's see your work, maybe I'll learn something from you. Can you please teach me something like how to finish the cloth in the pockets on a 9ft pool table? With pictures of your work as a guide for me to learn from??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Can you teach me how to rebuild GC rails so I can make them play better than new again? Like in these pictures? You DO know what a GC is, right?

20200715_083057_resize_20220322_091354.jpg
20200715_083053_resize_20220322_091354.jpg
20200714_162916_resize_20220322_091355.jpg
20200714_163007_resize_20220322_091355.jpg
20200714_223733_resize_20220322_091354.jpg

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I didn't watch the entire video. I only wanted to show the final wipe with the cloth prior to the install.
I don't know how to cut YouTube vids, or if that's even possible.
Easiest thing is to just add a timestamp. From a computer it's as easy as right clicking at the appropriate moment and selecting "Copy video URL at current time". You can also just manually add $t=xxxs with xxx being the number of seconds from start.
Code:
https://youtu.be/wy4MksJYGOk?t=239
will make the video start from 3:59.

There's a clip function as well, but I've not really messed with it much. Seems easy enough from PC though.

FaxwPIm.png

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You OBVIOUSLY don't know Glenn at all. I PMed Glenn a while back about an issue with some of my Diamonds. He didn't respond to my PM but called me, talked about the issue and thoroughly explained the plan to correct it. We were on the phone for an hour, he doesn't get paid for this, nobody would even know it if I wasn't writing this. He does it because he loves this game and wants tables to play correctly. The End, Brian.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
You OBVIOUSLY don't know Glenn at all. I PMed Glenn a while back about an issue with some of my Diamonds. He didn't respond to my PM but called me, talked about the issue and thoroughly explained the plan to correct it. We were on the phone for an hour, he doesn't get paid for this, nobody would even know it if I wasn't writing this. He does it because he loves this game and wants tables to play correctly. The End, Brian.
Beyond his youtube channel, which is full of gold, his posts on here, which taught me so much, he spent over an hour with me on the phone walking through modifying the facings on my Olhausen, then over an hour at a later date while leveling my diamond.

Cheers to Glen. He really is a wise and giving person. He knows his stuff though at times he does not suffer idiots very cordially. You can't really blame him, I've seen enough hack jobs IRL (a few) but he is the one that sees and has to fix this stuff daily.

Now if Glen was a shady character he could just do hack work like everyone else, it's easier that way, but he actually cares about the quality of his work and if he touches it, it's gonna be right. I'll take one slightly grumpy (while online) guy that knows, cares, and shares over a baker's dozen of ignorant hacks any day.

Hell, if I had the time, and just with the info he has freely shared, I could start my own pool table business. I'm already light years ahead of the local idiots/hacks in my area, yet their services are in demand because most people barely know which end of a stick gets the chalk. They get ripped off and maybe even notice their table plays badly but have no idea it's down to the guys they had work on it. The local hacks prey on people's ignorance because they don't have the skills to correctly do the job.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

You have no clue. What you are saying is kinda like telling Micheal Jordan that he should learn to play basketball.