Shout outs to all the “Pool Dads”

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I’ll keep this short(hopefully lol) but after reading some posts and spending some time watching the junior events at the sbx I just want to give a shout out to all the pool dads. I’m fairly young(27) and my son is only 2 so I’m not a pool dad yet but I think it’s so cool when I see some of the sacrifices these dads go through teaching their sons the game and then allowing and bringing them to competition like the expo. I could truly go on and on but again trying to not ramble.

Pool dads rock!!!!! Thanks for bringing up the next generation and also gifting your kids the game of pool which can be a wonderful beautiful game that can be played throughout your entire life and in my case can even keep you out of trouble

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 66 and my son is 33. He got me back into pool after a 40 year lay off. That was 5 years ago. I played at a pretty decent level when I sold my Hoppe with it's Brunswick case and went off to college. That was back in the days when there were poolrooms everywhere in Philly.

Every year my son and I take 4 days off to be together at the Expo. We play together 2 nights a week. Cherished memories. Barry, enjoy you and your son's journey together in this marvelous game.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 64 but my son is only 14. He played in the juniors at the Expo. My kids were never in Little League or football etc. so I didn't realize how exciting for a dad to watch his kids compete. He played a teenaged girl and went hill/hill in the third set (the expo tournaments were best 2 out of three sets). They went about three innings trying to get the 9 ball when the girl scratched and he had ball in hand on the nine and won. I don't think I had any fingernails left. Unfortunately he lost to a 17 yr old in the next match but was so excited winning the first match.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
My son is 20, I taught/played with him when he was a small child. As a toddler, I sawed a stick in half and he used it to put several divets in the simonis covered house table. Haha. Nowadays he doesn't have one lick of interest in the game.

I also have a daughter who is 18 and will play me via text message (some app she put on my phone)... at least it is pool and it happens to be the only pool I play now.

So yeah, shout out to all the pool dads and moms!

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Three out of four of my kids have their own cues and cases and love the game. All have graduated from college(Ivy league)and my youngest son plays in a league at Amsterdam's in NYC. I never pushed them too hard to play because I was afraid they would be consumed the way I was/am. I am super proud that my kids have great educations and jobs but am thrilled that they share my love for the game.

My fourth has never even taken a shot on the table but at 18 there is still time:cool:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Yo Barry, No kids but how about us "Pool Uncles"? Lol
My nephew is on video at the Expo at 2 yrs old hitting balls! Ha
I got him a cue and his latest table. He's 4 now.

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea I feel a certain type of way for only including dads when in reality I should of said moms uncles aunts gmoms gdads and any family member. Also thank you to everyone that commented and it really does make me happy seeing all the little ones playing and competing and it breaks my heart when I see that look on their faces after a loss but I know that means they care which is ultimately a good thing. There’s so many great things about this game and for sure one of the best is the ability for all family members young to old to play and just be together enjoying this lovely game.

Ps. Another great thing about the expo to me is meeting everyone and asking them where their from cuz people travel long distances for the expo. But on the lines of family I played Brett stottlemyer in the second chance and he had two supporters n It just shows how even pool can bring family’s together in the right circumstances.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so I’ll keep this short(hopefully lol) but after reading some posts and spending some time watching the junior events at the sbx I just want to give a shout out to all the pool dads. I’m fairly young(27) and my son is only 2 so I’m not a pool dad yet but I think it’s so cool when I see some of the sacrifices these dads go through teaching their sons the game and then allowing and bringing them to competition like the expo. I could truly go on and on but again trying to not ramble.

Pool dads rock!!!!! Thanks for bringing up the next generation and also gifting your kids the game of pool which can be a wonderful beautiful game that can be played throughout your entire life and in my case can even keep you out of trouble

I can't say I made "sacrifices" for my kid to play, past a bunch of money on trips to Nationals and tournaments. Enjoyed all the time with him and at the places we went.

If anything, my son's playing made my life that much better since I got to visit places and meet people I would not normally have.

For example, from a sponsor he met Jayson Shaw when Jayson just started playing in the US. A year later we are sitting on a couch between Jayson, Immonen, Strickland and Robles at a pool hall hanging out and chatting with them. Another time we drove down to CT to play on Jayson's diamond table for some practice with him before Nationals, stayed there for hours and Jayson took care of the tab. Family vacations to Vegas and SBE, trips to other places following Junior Nationals, all lots of fun.

If you want to see some more kid pool stuff, take a look at some of the albums from our local league and junior league https://www.facebook.com/pg/neusapoolleague/photos/?tab=albums

Last edited:

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post..... my son started playing last year. We have always been super close but pool has just made us inseparable. We go into the pool hall and no matter what happens, we leave supporting each other.

The expo was beyond just an awesome event. It's something every youth aged kid should experience, no matter what sport or hobby they are into. I felt my son was very lucky with many that he met..... if your into football, it would be like meeting half the quarterbacks from the NFL in 4 days lol.

For an overall experience, I don't think we will ever be able to top this one.