Side Break Shots

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Watching Corey's run on youtube I noticed that he purposely played for break shots behind the stack and break shots in the side pocket like the one he started his run with.

Curious to know why more players dont set up the side pocket break shot more often when its available and opt for the "traditional" side of the rack break when the possibilities of scratching or getting stuck are higher on that shot then with the side pocket break. Most of the pro's when trying to qualify in a Tourney I have seen use the side break as there opening shot preference..any thought out there?

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In part, you've answered your own question: break shots from the side are the most traditional. As for shots INTO the side, those were Greenleaf's favorite (he was playing, for the most part, on 5' x 10' tables with composition balls, if that counts), and have the natural advantage of keeping the CB in the center of the table. Shots from under the stack were a favorite of Mike Sigel's as well as Corey's; Sigel explained that sending the object balls to center table was a good idea because that area was always open to them. Hope this helps. GF

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is also alot less room for error when setting up a behind the stack breakshot.
So i guess it`s just playing the percentages...

SplicedPoints

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After trying to set up some side pocket breaks during practice, I think the reasons why it's not used as often are:

1) It's a lot easier to find a traditional break ball from the side or behind the rack
2) For positions where the cue ball will be going skimming the side of the rack, there's a high risk of scratching