Sidespin Myth Follow-Up ... Why Outside and Inside Spin are Useful

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that is a follow-up to my previous video dealing with common sidespin myths and misconceptions. The new video discusses and demonstrates how sidespin can be useful to create subtle and important changes in cue ball direction off an object ball. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:42 - Theory
2:23 - Full Hit
5:28 - Tangent Line Change
---- 6:04 - gearing outside spin example
---- 8:05 - outside spin full-hit example
---- 8:44 - inside spin example
9:03 - Carom Angle Narrowing
9:32 - Clean Hit
10:49 - Cut Induced Spin
11:33 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video was good. Nothing special but very needed one.

I want to give appraise for your effort because i feel it might not be your top of your most viewed videos.
It is still very important video. That is because you have difficult job to keep videos simple and short enough, and still not streamline them too much to not get common mistake many do that they streamline and in end giving false information.
If you left out this info you gave this video that is crucial to serious players who study pool and billiards you would do some harm.

I learned so much from your resource pages over the years and often there was one little thing that i was missing that was crucial to me know to fully understand something i was learning. That why i often point one little nuances on your videos.

So in the end I think you are doing very good job to keep videos simple enough to people grasp some difficult concepts. And still being accurate and scientific like you should.
Bravo!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Video was good. Nothing special but very needed one.

I want to give appraise for your effort because i feel it might not be your top of your most viewed videos.
It is still very important video. That is because you have difficult job to keep videos simple and short enough, and still not streamline them too much to not get common mistake many do that they streamline and in end giving false information.
If you left out this info you gave this video that is crucial to serious players who study pool and billiards you would do some harm.

I learned so much from your resource pages over the years and often there was one little thing that i was missing that was crucial to me know to fully understand something i was learning. That why i often point one little nuances on your videos.

So in the end I think you are doing very good job to keep videos simple enough to people grasp some difficult concepts. And still being accurate and scientific like you should.
Bravo!

Thanks again for your always-supportive and insightful posts. I’m glad to hear you have learned things from my resources over the years. I’ve also learned some things from you and others on AZB.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that is a follow-up to my previous video dealing with common sidespin myths and misconceptions. The new video discusses and demonstrates how sidespin can be useful to create subtle and important changes in cue ball direction off an object ball. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:42 - Theory
2:23 - Full Hit
5:28 - Tangent Line Change
---- 6:04 - gearing outside spin example
---- 8:05 - outside spin full-hit example
---- 8:44 - inside spin example
9:03 - Carom Angle Narrowing
9:32 - Clean Hit
10:49 - Cut Induced Spin
11:33 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

I am surprised this video didn’t result in more comments, discussion, or questions. There are lots of interesting and useful techniques in this video that I have not seen presented much (if at all) in other video before. I know top players probably know all this stuff already, but I suspect many people could benefit from the info. Although, I wonder if the info is too “subtle” or “detail oriented” for some people to relate to.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am surprised this video didn’t result in more comments, discussion, or questions. There are lots of interesting and useful techniques in this video that I have not seen presented much (if at all) in other video before. I know top players probably know all this stuff already, but I suspect many people could benefit from the info. Although, I wonder if the info is too “subtle” or “detail oriented” for some people to relate to.
Yeah. I agree. This what I meant that video is not probably gonna be so popular as many other you make. I still think you sometimes need to make this kind follow up videos to clarify some things and just accept you are doing them to keep your channel quality top tier. I believe this video is more like resource in years to come. Not viral hit stuff :D

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah. I agree. This what I meant that video is not probably gonna be so popular as many other you make. I still think you sometimes need to make this kind follow up videos to clarify some things and just accept you are doing them to keep your channel quality top tier. I believe this video is more like resource in years to come. Not viral hit stuff :D

Good point. This video is not well suited to "unsophisticated" players, but it is a good resource for "students of the game."

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
This video is amazing it provides a clear way to program side spin into calculations. However what decay would you use for spin?

Can RPM be used to control side paths off rails with pro level consistency?

When adding this to competition play discussion it helps for everyone to know side spin on historic trickshots.

Does extreme RPM impact paths in remarkable ways?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This video is amazing it provides a clear way to program side spin into calculations. However what decay would you use for spin?

Sidespin decay is not an issue with any of the shots in this video since the CB is so close to the OB.

Can RPM be used to control side paths off rails with pro level consistency?

If the CB travels a long distance to a rail at slow speed, then sidespin decay is a big factor; but good players have a feel for this and adjust accordingly.

Does extreme RPM impact paths in remarkable ways?

… not with the types of shots shown in this video. For example, for small cut angles, more spin results in less throw and spin transfer. For more info, see:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Sidespin decay is not an issue with any of the shots in this video since the CB is so close to the OB.

If the CB travels a long distance to a rail at slow speed, then sidespin decay is a big factor; but good players have a feel for this and adjust accordingly.

… not with the types of shots shown in this video. For example, for small cut angles, more spin results in less throw and spin transfer. For more info, see:

Thanks Dr Dave I will continue to explore more concepts on my own. Its nice to see the academic standard held for online discussions.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point. This video is not well suited to "unsophisticated" players, but it is a good resource for "students of the game."
I actually learned all you show here on my own.
Couple years ago I learned better(IMHO) way to see accurate tangent line and I was practicing a lot of 14.1 break shots.
I was getting so good I could call cueball position before break shot if i had close to half ball or thinner hit, and object ball was fairly close to rack.

That´s how i found these effects you show here on my own. Because i was calculating angles and results were not matching always... I had to figure out why.... ?? Also in Russian Pyramid and carom games these effects are the crucial last point that decide are your shots gonna succeed or not.

Then I saw this video and Niels is having great lesson here and he is talking a lot of mystery of accurate break shots on 14.1
In the end he said he is sometimes just smashing with draw or something... I think he is one of greats of 14.1 but I feel he gave bad advice there. Kinda saying "I don´t understand it so you won´t either".
That probably made many people excuse to stop getting better on those because World Champion said so.

P.s I ran 100+ every day back on that week after i had that research on breakshots and tangent angles.

Here is that video where Niels talk about break shots.. I did timestamp it where he talks about. Don´t get me wrong I love what he is saying and it is practical and smart but after what myself learned about breakshots after hard work it feels bad when champion basically say whack it.

SSP

I wonder if the info is too “subtle” or “detail oriented” for some people to relate to..... I hope not, these subtle things are the difference between getting position for a win or hooking yourself for a loss, you work in this SPORT is beyond reproach, my hope is that there will be more young people putting the video game paddles down and picking up a cue, Pro's doing demonstrations in middle schools would be a good start.