Sight Sizes (Diamond Sizes)...

Average Joes

Hey guys

Need some help with a project...

Basically, I need to collect some data about the most common pool table sight sizes, just need to know:

1) Make/model/size of table?
2) Round or diamond shaped sights?
3) Sight size?

I'll start for an example:

Brunswick Heirloom 9ft, Circles, 1/2" (13mm)

Sizing can be in inches, cm, mm - whatever works for you! If it's a diamond shape please add both the height and width. Info on different shape inlays (square etc) also very welcome if they were a standard (i.e not custom) factory fit for the table!!

To make things a little easier, you **should** find that your sight will likely match one of the common sizes:

SIGHT COMMON SIZES:

ROUND:

3/8" (10mm)
7/16" (11mm)
1/2" (13mm)
9/16" (14mm)
3/4" (19mm)

DIAMOND (Height x Width):

1.25" x 9/16" (32mm x 14mm)
1 3/8" x 9/16" (35mm x 14mm)
1 1/8" x 1/2" (29mm x 13mm)
1.5" x 5/8" (38mm x 16mm)

[NOTE: mm sizing rounded up/down to nearest full mm increment for ease of measurement, example 15.88mm (5/8") > 16mm]

Very interested to see which tables conform to which standard sizing, and what types of oddball non-standard sizing exists out there too! All help very much appreciated!!!

Thanks guys!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You may also want to record how far from the nose of the rail the center of the sight is. There is a standard now, but I doubt that many manufacturers follow it and until recently I don't think there was one.

Average Joes

Yes, I was considering that also, but not essential to the research I'm doing currently. I did note the WPA spec on that gap actually, and it definitely would be interesting to see how many tables actually have that spec.

But for this, I'm looking to collate Sight Sizes. Noted almost 200 people have read this, but nobody except Bob has replied yet :(

Hey, Bob, would you be kind enough to help get us started?

And for anyone reading, please get involved and post your sight sizing info here. It will no doubt be useful for others in the future too to have this information collated.

Much appreciated ;)

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
DrDaves TDF thread contains table data, can you use the available data? If manufacturers publish table specs that match the models, you might be able to deduce specific construction specs.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably no replies because this does not seem to make any sort of sense to find data on. What good is this info? I have never heard of a standard size for table diamond sizes or shapes that needed to be used.

Average Joes

The WPA have minimum and maximum size specifications for both round and diamond shaped targets...

"The sights may be round (between 7/16 [11.11 mm] and ½ inch [12.7 mm] in diameter) or diamond-shaped (between 1 x 7/16 [25.4 x 11.11 mm] and 1 ¼ x 5/8 inch [31.75 x 15.875 mm])."

It would be interesting to see how many tables conform to this specification.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had seen here a couple, maybe a few weeks ago that the current Black Ball (BB) game features a table with no sights, looked like some kind of one-piece composite rail set-up also. If you find any back story of WPA - a.k.a. weed whackers and the BB federation ruleset collaboration would be fun to know too.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA have minimum and maximum size specifications for both round and diamond shaped targets...

"The sights may be round (between 7/16 [11.11 mm] and ½ inch [12.7 mm] in diameter) or diamond-shaped (between 1 x 7/16 [25.4 x 11.11 mm] and 1 ¼ x 5/8 inch [31.75 x 15.875 mm])."

It would be interesting to see how many tables conform to this specification.
What's so interesting about this to you? To me, this sounds like one of the least interesting things I could possibly read about. I must be missing something here lol

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Olhausen has diamonds about 1"×½" (about) the edge is black, the center mother of pearl -- these diamonds cost me about 10% of the price of the table........