Simonis not available, alternative choices?

BlueClifford

I'm getting into pool and buying my first table (Gold Crown IV) and getting new rubbers (Brunswick Superspeed) and felt put on it. I was hoping to get the Simonis 860 but the shop I'm working with reached out to their wholesaler who said they have "nothing in Simonis at all until maybe early summer."

The shop mentioned the following alternatives (installed), but may also be able to source others if I ask:

Tour Edition 3030 9’ $519.00
Gorina Tour edition $499.00
Invictus 888 T3 Spill Guard $328.00
Invitational $298.00

Andy seems to be mentioned frequently but not readily available in Canada. From this thread it seems Championship Tournament 3030 is desirable, with Gorina coming in next. Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The Championship has lately been my second choice. Haven't tried the Gorina. I would avoid the cheaper stuff.
Billiard Wholesalers' Proline Proform 505 is very good, also reasonably priced, but your shop needs an account and shipping might be high.
Those are extremely low prices for installation, especially if that includes cushions. I'd make sure and get some references!

Last edited:

BlueClifford

The Championship has lately been my second choice. Haven't tried the Gorina. I would avoid the cheaper stuff.
Billiard Wholesalers' Proline Proform 505 is very good, also reasonably priced, but your shop needs an account and shipping might be high.
Those are extremely low prices for installation, especially if that includes cushions. I'd make sure and get some references!
Okay thanks for the heads up. I’ll do some more digging. What colour did you end up going with? I’m leaning towards electric blue (vs euro blue) as I think it’s similar to Simonis tournament blue.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Simonis 860 is in-stock in Chicago in Blue and several flavors of Green. I was able to order and get installed 860 Tournament Blue within just a couple of days.

T@BP

Check if you got any seller in your area of Royal pro cloth.
RP are so much nicer to play on compared to Simonis.
We changed at our poolrooms a few years back, and our players ask us to never go back to Simonis, price for 1 (9`) should be around 150 usd+local taxes
We tried grey, purple, blue, green and ...white/light grey color, all colors except white/light grey is great to play on.

IMG_5142.jpg
IMG_5143.jpg
IMG_5141.jpg

McRitchie

I'm getting into pool and buying my first table (Gold Crown IV) and getting new rubbers (Brunswick Superspeed) and felt put on it. I was hoping to get the Simonis 860 but the shop I'm working with reached out to their wholesaler who said they have "nothing in Simonis at all until maybe early summer."

The shop mentioned the following alternatives (installed), but may also be able to source others if I ask:

Invitational $298.00

Andy seems to be mentioned frequently but not readily available in Canada. From this thread it seems Championship Tournament 3030 is desirable, with Gorina coming in next. Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
The pricing seems definitely off. Be cautious, ask them which direct their first pull is and if it is end to end= look for someone else.

BlueClifford

The pricing seems definitely off. Be cautious, ask them which direct their first pull is and if it is end to end= look for someone else.
Thanks for the heads up. Does the fuller picture make more sense? They quoted me

$760 to relocate and install the table (1.5 hour drive)
$298 for the rubbers
$440 labour for the rubbers (3 working days offsite)
$519 for the 3030 cloth (I assumed that includes install)

I’m not to familiar how you’re supposed to pull the cloth but I searched and found this video on the forums:
At 7:54 it shows that you start at one side pocket and work your way via the numbers. (Versus pulling from one end of the table to the other as you warned me of).

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Okay thanks for the heads up. I’ll do some more digging. What colour did you end up going with? I’m leaning towards electric blue (vs euro blue) as I think it’s similar to Simonis tournament blue.
I've done the blue, it's pretty close to tour blue.
Thanks for the heads up. Does the fuller picture make more sense? They quoted me

$760 to relocate and install the table (1.5 hour drive)
$298 for the rubbers
$440 labour for the rubbers (3 working days offsite)
$519 for the 3030 cloth (I assumed that includes install)

I’m not to familiar how you’re supposed to pull the cloth but I searched and found this video on the forums:
At 7:54 it shows that you start at one side pocket and work your way via the numbers. (Versus pulling from one end of the table to the other as you warned me of).
Wow, definitely not cheap anymore. $2K seems steep, but if they're re-cutting the sub rails to make the table play perfectly it isn't too far off. If they're just slapping new rubber and facings on, definitely charging a premium. Again, references for the mechanic that they use would be helpful.
The video you found is definitely the best method I've seen or used. Anchor the side, stretch the ends last, lay everything out so it's even. NO SPRAY GLUE

Last edited:

McRitchie

I’m based in Toronto/GTA area. I tried asking around for a trusted table mechanic but came up short. The one guy (Paul Clutterback) who was mentioned a couple times is retired.

I’m open to alternatives. Maybe I’ll have another look.
It just seems like they are charging you as much as they can.
Patrick / Billiard Mechanic 416-918-9568‬ in Toronto is the only guy I know in your area. Have done business with him and he knows GCs and Diamonds. Listen to people who actually perform this work as a Profession. There are so many people on here that are not in the business and just repeat what they have read or heard.... good luck to you.

McRitchie

It just seems like they are charging you as much as they can.
Patrick / Billiard Mechanic 416-918-9568‬ in Toronto is the only guy I know in your area. Have done business with him and he knows GCs and Diamonds. Listen to people who actually perform this work as a Profession. There are so many people on here that are not in the business and just repeat what they have read or heard.... good luck to you.
@BlueClifford He just got back to me, he is still in action, shoot him call!

cficherajr

Invitational $298.00

Check Amazon, I just ordered the cloth for my table, Simonis 860