SJM Sizes Up the World Pool Championship

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is one of the reasons why I suggested in another thread to give the players something else to do. Trick shots, quick tips, recreate shots and other things will allow them to be a bit more natural. Not to say that they should eliminate the interviews, those are important too. But the other stuff will help them get more comfortable talking on the camera until there is money for media training.
Interesting idea. It might give some of the players a chance to show more personality.

Michael Fedak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, Stu !!!
You really are amazing. (I love the first page responder who asked “Who is this guy?”)

Thank you for yet another excellent tournament summary. As they said back in the day – you really are the “bee’s knees”. (Whatever that meant!?)

What also is great is all the thoughtful comments and pushback that it inspired in these 5 pages of forum thread. It becomes a major post-mortem examination of an event and a source of feedback for improvement to the tournament producers.

This thread, and many others in the past, are like a post-graduate education in 9-ball, the state of pool, tournament promotion, equipment, balls, etc. All the commenters here have been fascinating. In fact, AZ itself has become the institutional memory of pool and guys like you, Jewett, Helfert and others have made a great effort to keep people grounded and thoughtful. I wish a lot of the younger players in the rooms would start reading this stuff.

Kudos, again.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, Stu !!!
You really are amazing. (I love the first page responder who asked “Who is this guy?”)

Thank you for yet another excellent tournament summary. As they said back in the day – you really are the “bee’s knees”. (Whatever that meant!?)

What also is great is all the thoughtful comments and pushback that it inspired in these 5 pages of forum thread. It becomes a major post-mortem examination of an event and a source of feedback for improvement to the tournament producers.

This thread, and many others in the past, are like a post-graduate education in 9-ball, the state of pool, tournament promotion, equipment, balls, etc. All the commenters here have been fascinating. In fact, AZ itself has become the institutional memory of pool and guys like you, Jewett, Helfert and others have made a great effort to keep people grounded and thoughtful. I wish a lot of the younger players in the rooms would start reading this stuff.

Kudos, again.
Hey, Mike, hope you're well and thriving. Long time no see. I miss the days when you lived on Park Avenue and we managed numerous hookups.

Thanks for the positive feedback, but the truth is that I start threads like these because the responders are so knowledgeable and insightful. A chance to compare notes with the many fine posters on this forum is an opportunity not to be overlooked.

If event producers wish to read some of these posts, that's great, but it has never been the reason for threads like these. Surprisingly, on this occasion, I can report that someone with Matchroom that had read this thread did reach out to me and thanked me for some of my kind words in their direction. Hence, at least somebody at Matchroom reads AZB. It's hardly surprising, given Matchroom's unswerving commitment to excellence in producing pool events that the fans will enjoy to the max.

Be well, my friend, and tell the Mrs. that Stu says hi.

Geosnookery

The color of the balls is another issue. The original ball color for pool balls remains the best possible colors for televised events. If you study the history of the game, there was a lot of thought that went into choosing these exact colors. It was not just some random thing.

I agree with using traditions ball colours. I find the new colours confusing. However, I don’t know if this is because I’ve become conditioned over the years.

Yes, the colours evolved for a reason. However, this isn’t necessarily because they were the best colours but rather thete were the best colours ‘available’ with technology of the time. Today we just assume that just about any colour can be produced consistently. This wasn’t the case 75 years ago. Primary colours and their complimentary colours were much easier to repeat In batches of dyes, paints, etc. Any variation such as sky blue, lime green, etc much harder.