Slow Players What are you thinking about?

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I have to know after all these years... what is it that takes so long to think about before you pull the trigger? I'm talking 9 ball and 8 ball... not One Pocket or 14.1.

Please explain. I am dying to find out. I've never understood how anyone can take more than 60 seconds to consider a shot and table layout. Especially when there is only one ball on the table.

What is it that keeps you from shooting? What is it that you are thinking about.

I'd really like to know.

Guesses anyone?

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
Good post

I hate slow play:eek: I heard a great quote on here a while back

If they are taking a while to shoot

ask them if they want to give up:rotflmao1:

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to know after all these years... what is it that takes so long to think about before you pull the trigger? I'm talking 9 ball and 8 ball... not One Pocket or 14.1.

Please explain. I am dying to find out. I've never understood how anyone can take more than 60 seconds to consider a shot and table layout. Especially when there is only one ball on the table.

What is it that keeps you from shooting? What is it that you are thinking about.

I'd really like to know.

Guesses anyone?
I think they are wondering if they forgot to turn the stove off.

BVal

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Leave

Maybe where the best leave would be?

Pro's take that much and longer on every shot. Plus, you should treat every shot with as much concentration as possible and not think easy vs hard shots. It's a good habit to be in.

Donny

Banned
There are rare times when it can take longer than 60 seconds to shoot a shot. That being whenever you're hooked and are faced with an extremely difficult shot. Other than that, I agree totally. Some people do it just to shark you. Other people just naturally play at that pace. Whatever the case, I've learned how to deal with these types of players. Don't even look at the table when they're shooting. I like to shoot fast, and slow shooting used to irritate me more than just about anything. Have a friend tell when it's your shot. This is the easiest and most effective way I know to keep from getting sharked by a slow shooter.

I'd really like to know.

Guesses anyone?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe where the best leave would be?

Pro's take that much and longer on every shot. Plus, you should treat every shot with as much concentration as possible and not think easy vs hard shots. It's a good habit to be in.

Pros can't take that long, they only get 1 extension per rack and it's not a 60 second shot clock.
Maybe slow players are thinking of .............................................................................................................................hell I don't know. :sorry:

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
slow players

I dont know what they're thinking but I know what Im thinking when Im playing a slow player....

Should I use the butt end of my cue the knock em upside the head? OR should I spear em thru the throat? :angry:

I hate slow play at any level...

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member

I'd really like to know.

Guesses anyone?

Maybe...... Just maybe they're thinking about how crazy it makes you.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Define slow, quantify

If someone averages 5 minutes or less on their average 9 ball break and run, is that slow?

I'm just trying to quantify...

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member

I dont know what they're thinking but I know what Im thinking when Im playing a slow player....

Should I use the butt end of my cue the knock em upside the head? OR should I spear em thru the throat? :angry:

I hate slow play at any level...

:thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup::rotflmao1:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Slow play

The only thing you said wrong in your statement was referring to: This is not 14-1.
You do not have to be a slow player to play 14-1.
You can play 14-1 with the same pace as 8-ball or 9-ball.
I think that players that play slow have a slow mind set and it takes them longer to figure out pattens, or even how to hit the cue etc.
The other reason for slow play is: sharking, fore which I have no respect for players who shark.

Last edited:

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
If they make a ball on the break... that leaves only 8 balls for 5 minutes or 120 seconds which averages to 37.x sec/shot.
No, IMO, that is not slow.

Now if they make 3 balls on the break and have 6 balls to make and take 5 minutes.... to run out... that is taking 60 seconds a shot. YES, IMO, that is taking longer to shot the shot than necessary.

If someone averages 5 minutes or less on their average 9 ball break and run, is that slow?

I'm just trying to quantify...

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Tom,
I think good, slow players are evaluating all their options, planning every detail of their shot, planning their shape, and making sure everything is right in their mind before they shoot.

I think some slow players don't have a clue what to do, and they are staring at the balls waiting for the pool angels to draw them a picture on the table.

Scoring an APA match between a pair of 2's could be considered torture!

Steve

Donny

Banned
Tom,
I think good, slow players are evaluating all their options, planning every detail of their shot, planning their shape, and making sure everything is right in their mind before they shoot.

I think some slow players don't have a clue what to do, and they are staring at the balls waiting for the pool angels to draw them a picture on the table.

How often do you think slow play is used as a sharking technique?

Scoring an APA match between a pair of 2's could be considered torture!
Steve

It's like one of those old snicker bar commercials: Not going anywhere for a while? Have a snickers.

Just make sure you mark the innings real small. :grin-square:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
How often do you think slow play is used as a sharking technique?

Probably not as often as many might think. Changing your routine pace and tempo just to try to shark your opponent is likely to backfire. We all have a pace that is optimal for us, and that's where we need to be as much as possible.

It's like one of those old snicker bar commercials: Not going anywhere for a while? Have a snickers.

Just make sure you mark the innings real small. :grin-square:

So True!!! LOL
Steve

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wtfrudoincat.jpg lol!:thumbup:

petticasey

No Irish need apply.
In a serious game I don't shoot until I am 100% focused on my shot and satisfied with my planned let. If it takes 5 minutes to clear my head then it takes me 5 minutes to shoot. I try to be as quick as possible but in the end I won't shoot till I am ready. Also i try to approach my shot mentally the same way every time and that takes a little extra time.

However in a bar game when I'm drinking I'm quick enough.

Last edited: